Reservoir Capacitors Question
Feb 10, 2004 at 5:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Magic77

500+ Head-Fier
Can anyone explain the main advantages/differences of having more reservoir capacitance, opposed to less?

I'm using 4 220uf Caps in my Pimeta, which is the minimum suggested.

Would more Capacitance here give me better sound quality?

Thanks.

Feb 10, 2004 at 6:39 PM Post #2 of 6
Having more capacitance mainly helps the bass since there is extra current to draw quickly if a tougher bass note comes through. I am using 4 1000uF caps in my PIMETA and the results are great.

Feb 10, 2004 at 9:17 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by donovansmith
Having more capacitance mainly helps the bass since there is extra current to draw quickly if a tougher bass note comes through. I am using 4 1000uF caps in my PIMETA and the results are great.

Thanks. I was going to do exactly like you have; 4 1000uf Caps. I have a few of them(Panasonic FC), so I'll give them a try.

Feb 10, 2004 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 6
Does anyone have any impression on whether you may
get away with smaller caps if you use faster caps? Because
of space issues (miniature mint-tin amp) I have no room for
any decent size aluminum electrolytic, but I have room for
47 uF tantalum. Kinda small in capacity, but would it
be a worthwhile swap or just a waste of semi-expensive
components?

Feb 12, 2004 at 2:45 AM Post #5 of 6
Bcoz of that, i try to parallel a few kind of caps together, hope that they will stastify the opamp. i try to put electrolytic, silver mica, poly, ceramic, all together, hope that by that way the caps will provide all the current the opamp needs at all kind of spped.
what do you think??

Feb 12, 2004 at 5:50 AM Post #6 of 6
You've got two things to attack with the caps - supply impedance and droop. Really they are sort of the same thing, just different frequencies and slightly different causes and effects.

For high-frequencies the little wires you hook up your circuit with look like inductors and thus start to have a significant impedance (i.e. much higher than your battery or regulator). This can cause cross-talk, or worse, instability in the amplifiers. This is why you should put small (1uF, 0.1uF something like that) at every power pin of every amp in the circuit. You essentially hide the wires from the amp by putting tiny capacitors right next to it. They don't need to be big because all they are doing is supplying current while the inductance of the wires is charging - which happens pretty fast.

At low frequencies the wires don't look very inductive, so you tend to see your regulator or battery's impedance. This can cause the supply rail to droop. Again, not a great thing. Since the low frequency signals are around for a long time and can be sucking lots of current you need a lot of capacitance to supply it. But, you can pretty much throw it wherever (most people put it right where the power enters the board) and you call parallel lots moderate sized ones instead of just one big one. Sometimes that is even prefereable. The main issue is having enough total capacitance there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back