Reserved your Xbox 360 yet?
Jul 3, 2005 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

HiGHFLYiN9

Member of the Trade: Zynsonix
Anyone here excited enough about the new Xbox 360 to reserve one? This is the first time I've reserved a system without knowing the exact release date. I would have thought it would have been announced already since there are only a few more months before it's supposed to roll out. I guess it doesn't really matter, I'm sure there will be tons of people lined up to get it whenever they decide to release it. I'm really looking forward to the new Elderscrolls game, which seems to be the only game I'm excited about so far in the estimated launch.

So any other 'fiers reserved themselves one yet or have any launch games they are planning on buying?

Jul 3, 2005 at 1:40 AM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
I do not plan on reserving any of the future-generation consoles, let alone buying any of them. They all look incredibly dissapointing to me (just like this generation's) accept for the Nintendo offering.

Agreed. I really want to get the Revolution if playing older games would be free (I wonder if this includes GC).

Jul 3, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
Agreed. I really want to get the Revolution if playing older games would be free (I wonder if this includes GC).

Yeah i preatty sure that the GC games can jsut be put into the system and used (correct me if im wrong) unlike the older ones which have to be downloaded and then burnt onto dvd.

Jul 3, 2005 at 1:44 AM Post #5 of 29
Meh, I'll stick with PC gaming. I love the keyboard+mouse combo, customization, and mods too much to change.
tongue.gif

Jul 3, 2005 at 2:09 AM Post #6 of 29
Right now I have convinced myself that I'm not buying any of the next generation systems and am hoping that there will not be any last minute scrambling to get one. I guess I could just reserve one and then cancel or something...

Overall I am not too impressed by any of the specifications revealed so far, but I have not doubt that Halo 3 will be incredibly good, or that the Playstation three will have two or three good launch games with the truly great coming out about six months-plus later.

Jul 3, 2005 at 2:59 AM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
Meh, I'll stick with PC gaming. I love the keyboard+mouse combo, customization, and mods too much to change.
tongue.gif

Well, the XBox 360 does have USB ports, so hopefully there will be keyboard and mouse support. I think there can be a better keypad than a keyboard. I'm thinking more along the lines of like Saitek's upcoming Command pad, which looks to be better than the Belkin Nostromo.

But with how PC developers are out of touch with higher end gamers (like me, I have a 46" HDTV and full home theater I'd like to play games on.) I really feel that PC games have to catch up with the online play that XBox has pioneered. It is such a pain in the @ss to play online with PC games, finding a server, gee no one uses headsets, servers crashing, lag issues, stuttering gameplay, etc. etc.

With the Battlefield 2, the numerous bugs and borderline playability have me getting away from PC games more and more. I've been a hardcore PC gamer for a long time, but enough is enough.

-Ed

Jul 3, 2005 at 3:19 AM Post #9 of 29
It's the games that matter.

I only buy 1 game a year, at most - I am still playing Warcraft 3, Counter-Strike: Source (Half Life 2), and Quake 3. Console games simply cannot last five years. PC games last MUCH longer.

Me, I'm not a hardcore. I find that to be a waste of a lifetime. I am hardly even a casual gamer - I'm more like a "once a month" gamer. The games appeal to me a lot because they're quick and simple to get into, and the games take actual GAMING SKILL and not waiting for hours watching stupid movies and just sitting there repeatedly hitting one button as your character levels up... that's not my kind of game.

The xbox hardly has a grip on first person shooters. The control schemes are awful and they can't expect people to use the pad to control a 360 degree camera. No friggin way - a keyboard and mouse combo simply works better.

All of this ridiculous "seamless integration" of online ability and device-hookup makes me question if the new consoles are focusing on the games or the extras. Why is it that M$ is marketing more towards the NON-GAMERS (the girlfriends, wives, weirdos) and not the people that will actually buy the system? Who the hell in the world would want to use a cheap designer set to make their own in-game addons? Many PC games ship WITH the developer tools and a VERY versatile map-editing program. Think Blizzard games like Starcraft and Warcraft, and even Valve games (both half life games), among others.

There are too many good things one has to give up to switch to a console. I'll never leave my PC when it comes to kicking ass in Counter-Strike: Source

Jul 3, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
With the Battlefield 2, the numerous bugs and borderline playability have me getting away from PC games more and more. I've been a hardcore PC gamer for a long time, but enough is enough.
-Ed

Wait for the patches! You know how EA is, they always release games before they are completely complete. Look at BF1942, it took months for them to make it playable for most people.

PC gaming might be dying a slow death ATM, but I do belive it will last. PCs will always be better than consoles (if you have the $$$), and will have more support than consoles.

*off to play BF2 some more
tongue.gif

Jul 3, 2005 at 5:20 AM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

tongue.gif

Yeah...but some games that I really want only come for consoles. Sometimes the PC version of a game just sucks...
frown.gif

Jul 3, 2005 at 9:09 AM Post #12 of 29
I had no idea you could already reserve the system, that's insane. Do you even know what the price tag will be when released? From the looks of it, it's not going to be cheaper than previous releases of their systems and most likely a lot more expensive looking at the components.

I'll be sticking with my pc and playing pc games, which I rarely do anymore. Anyways, be sure to let us know about it when you get it. Have fun.

Jul 3, 2005 at 9:16 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
It's the games that matter.

All of this ridiculous "seamless integration" of online ability and device-hookup makes me question if the new consoles are focusing on the games or the extras. Why is it that M$ is marketing more towards the NON-GAMERS (the girlfriends, wives, weirdos) and not the people that will actually buy the system? Who the hell in the world would want to use a cheap designer set to make their own in-game addons? Many PC games ship WITH the developer tools and a VERY versatile map-editing program. Think Blizzard games like Starcraft and Warcraft, and even Valve games (both half life games), among others.

There are too many good things one has to give up to switch to a console. I'll never leave my PC when it comes to kicking ass in Counter-Strike: Source

By "seamless integration" you mean being able to easily find and play with friends in the game. Or finding a stable server to play on quickly? Then yes, the XBox 360 will have this in spades. Yeah sure they're trying some gimmicky things, but the cold hard truth is that PC developers are ill equipped to compete with the online play features of the next gen consoles coming up.

I'm tired of paying to be a beta tester for PC games. If the PC gaming developing community does not get together and form a standard for releasing games and for having a more integrated online play system, they will lose a lot more business in the future.

-Ed

Jul 3, 2005 at 9:20 AM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Wait for the patches! You know how EA is, they always release games before they are completely complete. Look at BF1942, it took months for them to make it playable for most people.

PC gaming might be dying a slow death ATM, but I do belive it will last. PCs will always be better than consoles (if you have the $$$), and will have more support than consoles.

*off to play BF2 some more
tongue.gif

Yes, but as I have stated, I am sick and tired of paying to be a beta tester. They should've worked out 90% of the bugs before they released the game.
Granted it is a HUGE improvement over the completely unplayable pile of crap BF1942 was when it first came out. This is par for the course for Dice and EA, but they too are developing for consoles. They will learn quickly that they will have to fix bugs BEFORE they release a game.

PC game developers are crossing over into the console market. If the PC game industry suffers, they will simply move over to the console side. Hopefully those that do will bring the "magic" that makes many PC games special, and leave behind the horrid crap behind.

-Ed

Jul 3, 2005 at 4:47 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by enzoferrari650
I had no idea you could already reserve the system, that's insane. Do you even know what the price tag will be when released? From the looks of it, it's not going to be cheaper than previous releases of their systems and most likely a lot more expensive looking at the components.

The good old marketing analysts are estimating a release price of $299, about $70 less a console than Microsofts cost to produce them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back