Resampling with Reclock = teh awesome
Oct 20, 2010 at 4:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

GungaDin

Head-Fier
With Pandora in particular.  I've been listening to Pandora with Reclock for a few weeks and it's a significant improvement over a non-resampled stream.  I paid Pandora's fee to get 192Kbps streaming.  I've got that resampled in a Windows 7 box to 24/192, going by firewire into a Focusrite Saffire set to 24/192, then to Event powered monitors.  Sounds great!  Highs are high without getting harsh or screechy, bass is deep and clear, and I get smoother detailing generally that makes the music more enjoyable to listen to.  Jazz trumpet, for example, sounds a lot more like the actual instrument and less like a piercing simulation of a trumpet.   I've been using cPlay with resampling and getting good results, also, although there seems to be more benefit to resamping the Pandora stream.

Maybe everyone here already knows about this (I'm sure many do) but, if you've got a soundcard with higher samping capability and haven't tried it, you should.  I saw a post by leeperry praising Reclock and tried it.  Thanks, lee!  I just wanted to give Reclock a little bit of a higher profile here.  

Oct 20, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #2 of 12
Sounds great Gunga.  I also use the Pandora 192kbps but never gave ReClock a consideration for it.  The only time I use ReClock is for movies with Media Player Classic Home Cinema, using onboard sound.  Maybe you can post the steps and some screenshots to get it going with a DAC  for music.

Thanks!

Oct 20, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #3 of 12
All you really have to do is open Reclock's "audio settings" tab and set the sampling rate and bit format to 24/192.  I then set my Focusrite to receive a 192 sample rate.  That's it and it's ready to go.  I have an i3 processor so it doesn't bog down but I think the resampling would be a problem with a less powerful processor.

What kind of audio card do you have?

Oct 21, 2010 at 7:04 AM Post #4 of 12
Thanks Gunga,

Well, I only have onboard cards for my PCs.  I primarily use DACs for everything and that's why I was wondering if they can be used with ReClock.  When I use ReClock now it's with my laptop and the onboard card for movies.  Since the laptop I use it with, is the one I take with me, I have never tried it with a DAC.

Oct 21, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #5 of 12
Well yeah, Reclock is the tightest audio renderer you can get on a PC...I've beta-tested and DBT'ed the new resampler for James, it sounds very good in HQ mode. If DS based media players would allow gapless, I'd be all over it.

JRiver's software should be able to do gapless and VST plugins through Reclock...too bad their media player GUI gives me suicidal tendencies.

Oct 21, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #6 of 12
HeatFan - If you have a spdif out to your DAC, I would think you just have to set Reclock to your DAC's max bit rate and sampling capability and you're good to go.  Same thing with a USB DAC.

Oct 26, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #8 of 12
Heat - I don't think the clock shows up for audio.  My Focusrite won't play audio if it's set to receive 192 and it gets a different sample rate.  It will either crackle and pop or reset to a different sample rate.  I've got Reclock and the Focusrite both set to 192 and it plays without the clock in the taskbar.  

Oct 26, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #11 of 12
HeatFan12, make sure to specify in Reclock what apps it needs to load with, or it may ask you when you open a compatible app.
A little clock with yellow or green face in the taskbar will appear when it loads successfully.  Red means something's quite wrong.
Double-click that clock and check the box that says "Slave reference clock to audio" - this gives you bitperfect output, you can check by looking at the right side and it should say "WASAPI excl. (bit exact)."
Then under Media adaptation, set speed to "Original" and check "Locked," or whatever works best for you there.  No sound compression enabled.

Also, under those settings you took screenies of, check "Give high CPU priority to player," you have it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back