Requesting HGPL File for headphone - help please!
Mar 25, 2005 at 10:53 PM Post #31 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
If you want to save even more, IME avoid the change of tools, that means try to use the same engraver for all the figures.
A suggestion based in my experience with them, try to reduce the amount of cavities there, they are not done so perfect IMO, and does not look sharp, just leave the ones that will be covered by the the knobs or the ones that are small, and why not removing a few? This will make a more sober design.
Also check the coordenades for the cavities and holes, they should match exactly, if you look closer there are some crosses that does not match and are overlapped (check bassboost and output) the on/off on the bassboost the crosses should be in the center of the text to make them look symetric...

But don't pay too much attention to me, I'm a little "picky" and "neurotic" with the details...LOL....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

The hole matchings will be all fixed by the time the design goes to production.

Can't change the engraver sizes, because of the large range of text sizes I've used, would look mightly strange if I change it now. Total of 3 tool changes, but nevermind.

Regarding the cavities, do they really look that bad? Got any pics? If they really look quite ugly, I might just scrap them and use an engraved circled instead...

Mar 25, 2005 at 11:22 PM Post #32 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by individual6891
Regarding the cavities, do they really look that bad? Got any pics? If they really look quite ugly, I might just scrap them and use an engraved circled instead...

If you do a search doobooloo have posted also some pics of his first amps, that shows IMO that same problem, these in the pic do not look that bad, but in front of you, they are horrible, believe me, nothing cosmetically appealing...IMO
Take a look, IMO nothing that can be seen, they are pretty rough:

philamps001.jpg

Mar 26, 2005 at 11:04 AM Post #33 of 54
Eeek, looks like they just go round in multiple circles without smoothing the bits in between.

Thanks for the tip, I'll change the design!

Mar 26, 2005 at 11:43 AM Post #34 of 54
Well, this might be my second to final design (final design being with screw holes)

ppafrontpanel3.gif

Mar 26, 2005 at 11:57 AM Post #35 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by individual6891
Eeek, looks like they just go round in multiple circles without smoothing the bits in between.

Thanks for the tip, I'll change the design!

You could leave the cavities but just in the area that will be covered by the knobs, jacks, screw heads, etc...as them will cover the mess. In mine the cavities are completelly hidden behind the knobs, and it looks nice, what I do not reco, is the cavity as a cosmetic figure only...

Mar 26, 2005 at 12:43 PM Post #36 of 54
Well we'll have to see.. The vol/bass cavities add about 2 euroes each to the cost.. At the moment it's down to 45 euroes which isn't too bad.

Mar 26, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #37 of 54
God I'm so angry, the software is *** useless.

I've spent about 4-5 hours on a layout and saved it multiple times. I've finally sorted hpgl import and produced some tidy graphics, I had all the front panel complete.

It seems to have other ideas though, its saved only a layout from about 4 hours ago which has virtually nothing on it
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'm not stupid, I laugh at people all day long who 'didn't save their work' but I did save and its shafted me!!!!!!!!

Has anyone managed to print? It gives me some German and I can't understand it.

Mar 26, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #38 of 54
Nevermind....got lucky. While messing earlier I'd saved the entire layout as a macro - its still there
biggrin.gif

Printing works now for some reason?

Mar 26, 2005 at 11:55 PM Post #39 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magsy
Nevermind....got lucky. While messing earlier I'd saved the entire layout as a macro - its still there
biggrin.gif

Printing works now for some reason?

Be careful the software works fine, just thatyou need ot be familiar with it, save copies and laways work on the copies, and then save the final before sending it....

Mar 28, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #40 of 54
Version 0.1 !
600smile.gif

I am going to add 'blockhead' style edges to it but I figured I should get the functional stuff done first.

I'm not 100% happy with the fonts or the line/M³ on the front, it looks bare without it so I need something there but I'm not sure what. I might try some holes behind the knobs to backlight them, is that your plan individual?

Going to make some cardboard cutouts tomorrow to check its all alright, I've done a rough test fit with paper and it seems ok!

Cost is about 30 euro each without vat/delivery..

The IG/OG switch is there to allow me to use it as a preamp or to drive some small speakers via RCA terminated speaker cables.
I don't plan on it being the highest fidelity in either mode, but its on my desk with the pc atm and occasionally if it could power some small speakers it would be handy. Also I may put it with a Gainclone later on, no idea if it would be any good but I'd like to have the option.

One question, do they anodize after cutting the panel? If we have cutouts placed on the edges, will they be in my chosen colour or 'raw'? The picture of the cavity makes me wonder!

Anyway, on with the pictures!

mmmfrontfpd.gif

mmmbackfpd.gif

Mar 28, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #41 of 54
Magsy, slick! One suggestion, though. The knob will obscure the "volume" designation when you're viewing the front panel from anywhere above horizontal plane (which is most of the time). IMO these words should really be above the controls, not below. There is not a lot of room with that horizontal line across the top, so maybe you would need to ditch that line.

Mar 28, 2005 at 9:56 PM Post #42 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb
Magsy, slick! One suggestion, though. The knob will obscure the "volume" designation when you're viewing the front panel from anywhere above horizontal plane (which is most of the time). IMO these words should really be above the controls, not below. There is not a lot of room with that horizontal line across the top, so maybe you would need to ditch that line.

Thanks amb!

It is those words I'm really undecided on, part of me says leave them off because I don't need them but it will make it look unfinished then.

I've been making some symbols, I have a great bass clef and now I need to find a 'speaker' type symbol - I might just put them on there instead.

panel1.gif

panel2.gif

Hmm?

Mar 28, 2005 at 10:02 PM Post #43 of 54
Quote:

One question, do they anodize after cutting the panel? If we have cutouts placed on the edges, will they be in my chosen colour or 'raw'? The picture of the cavity makes me wonder!

the panels are anodized before cut, that means every hole / cavity / cut / breakout won't be anodized and will have a raw aluminum surface

Mar 28, 2005 at 10:06 PM Post #44 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by steinchen
the panels are anodized before cut, that means every hole / cavity / cut / breakout won't be anodized and will have a raw aluminum surface

Arse! I'll have to speak to them about this, they have to cut the panel at some stage before anodizing, maybe I can pay to have my edges cut before? I'll try em tomorrow!

Mar 28, 2005 at 10:22 PM Post #45 of 54
Quote:

Arse! I'll have to speak to them about this, they have to cut the panel at some stage before anodizing, maybe I can pay to have my edges cut before? I'll try em tomorrow!

I already did that in the past, they get the raw material like that and they do not anodize, so all you will get is cut after anodizing, that is why I get mine in silver instead of black....Nice job....

BTW, YGPM....
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back