Requesting HGPL File for headphone - help please!
Mar 19, 2005 at 10:19 AM Post #16 of 54
the LED is perfectly centered on the panel (width and height) and the symbols are right above the knobs, the photo is taken slightly from the left, so it may look a little inclined, but it isn't

I wanted to try a new color but my girlfriend intervented (my desk would become to colorful) and interdicted making a blue panel :X :/
wink.gif

Mar 19, 2005 at 10:29 AM Post #17 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by steinchen
the LED is perfectly centered on the panel (width and height) and the symbols are right above the knobs, the photo is taken slightly from the left, so it may look a little inclined, but it isn't

I wanted to try a new color but my girlfriend intervented (my desk would become to colorful) and interdicted making a blue panel :X :/
wink.gif

girls...
rolleyes.gif
...ok... you're in for the glassman-buffers ("v 1.1 db"), i think...
this is a very well arranged frontplane... maybe you could leave me the cad-file?
lambda.gif

Mar 19, 2005 at 11:14 AM Post #18 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrokenEnglish
... you're in for the glassman-buffers ("v 1.1 db"), i think...

caught me, Mr. Holmes !

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrokenEnglish
this is a very well arranged frontplane... maybe you could leave me the cad-file?
lambda.gif

thanks, of course, get the fpd at
http://home.t-online.de/home/stonera...iamond_Mk1.fpd
the holes for the screws are all countersunk, you may want to change that. I strongly recommend to solder the pot to the pcb with the pcb pushed into the case. Even 1mm difference in height will give you a real pain in the butt.

Also please note that you have to cut out the pcb a little if you want to use the Neutrik Combo Jack centered in height:

ppa_v1.1db_panelmount_800x600.jpg

Mar 19, 2005 at 11:21 AM Post #19 of 54
Quote:

thanks, of course, get the fpd at
http://home.t-online.de/home/stonera...iamond_Mk1.fpd
the holes for the screws are all countersunk, you may want to change that. I strongly recommend to solder the pot to the pcb with the pcb pushed into the case. Even 1mm difference in height will give you a real pain in the butt.

Also please note that you have to cut out the pcb a little if you want to use the Neutrik Combo Jack centered in height:

oh... i'm hoping that i can fit those glassman-dbs right in my small ppa-encasing and therefore keep its frontplate. but i'm tempted to use your desígn as a model for the door plate when i move the wna into its new home.

Mar 19, 2005 at 12:00 PM Post #20 of 54
Quote:

some panels arrived just today and I'm pleased with the results of the symbols I zipped into hpgl.zip
ppa_v1.1_DB_frontpanel_800x600.jpg

@individual6891
awesome design
smily_headphones1.gif
unfortunately the par metal group by isn't economical for european residents, I'm afraid
I wondered wheter the breakouts on the left and right may be a little too broad, or is the panel overlapping far enough for the breakouts ? With how much overlapping do you calculate ?

Nice panel there. What size engraver did you use for the headphone and volume HPGLs? Looks like 0.2mm but not sure.

The overlapping sides are fine. The case is 12 inches long, and the panel is 13 inches long. So you just make sure you don't take away more than 0.5inches and you're good
smily_headphones1.gif
Just a shame the panel costs so much, and shipping of the panel is 16 euroes!

Mar 19, 2005 at 12:14 PM Post #21 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by individual6891
What size engraver did you use for the headphone and volume HPGLs? Looks like 0.2mm but not sure.

you're right, I used the 0.2mm engraver. The volume hpgl is a little small with 100% scale, for the PPA v2 panel I'll move to 110%

Quote:

The overlapping sides are fine. The case is 12 inches long, and the panel is 13 inches long. So you just make sure you don't take away more than 0.5inches and you're good
smily_headphones1.gif
Just a shame the panel costs so much, and shipping of the panel is 16 euroes!

shipping within Germany is 6.20 EUR, you should order at least 2 or 3 panels or shipping pushes total cost considerably :/ How much does your big panel cost ? My panels for euro-size cases cost about 20 - 25 EUR ea.

Mar 19, 2005 at 12:29 PM Post #22 of 54
At the moment, due to the size and complicated design: 65 euroes for the front panel alone!

I will have to wait for my par-metal case to arrive before submitting the design..

I also have a 20 euro (back and front panel) mint design:

mintfrontpanel.gif

To go with my 9V Hammond mint.

Also going to design my PIMETA front panel.

After all that's finished, I should be able to submit a (very) large order

Mar 19, 2005 at 1:40 PM Post #23 of 54
Individual, just looking at your design, you'll need to change it slightly if you're using ALPS Blue (RK27) for the bass, gain, and volume. They've got a little pin on the case to stop it rotating. You'll need to check the datasheet for the right sizes, but something to be warned about

g

Mar 19, 2005 at 2:48 PM Post #24 of 54
If you mount the pots on the board, you do not need to attach them to the front panel, just place the board a little far from the front panel and make the shafts through the holes, but do not attach them with the nuts to the front panel...do a seach on my PPA and you will see how this works, Vooodoochile posted some pics of my PPA at that time, when we decided to do it that way, I have it like that since then, with no problems to the date.....this way the pin will not interfere with the front panel at all, and you do not need to cut the shafts neither....

Mar 20, 2005 at 2:09 PM Post #25 of 54
Well the volume used will be a stepped attenuator, and the pot for the bass boost will be just a basic panasonic EVJ. Though I might decide to invest in an alps depending funds
smily_headphones1.gif

[edit: The gain control is just a plain rotary make before break 4p 3t]

Mar 25, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #26 of 54
Had a redesign session today.

Removed the gain control, because I decided that the length of the leads leading to R4 would probably cause some problems for the amp so I decided against a gain control. This took off about 5 euroes.

Also reduced aluminium thickness from 4mm to 3mm which took off about 10 euroes off the price! I'm hoping 4mm and 3mm difference isn't too bad.

ppafrontpanel2.gif

I hope the headphone HPGL file turns out ok.. It's at 25% with 0.2mm engraver.

Final price - 51 euroes

Mar 25, 2005 at 9:01 PM Post #27 of 54
Looks really good! Can't believe its -10 euro for 3mm, damn that's a lot.

Screw holes missing or do you have some other method lined up?

Mar 25, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #28 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magsy
Screw holes missing or do you have some other method lined up?

Haven't got the case dimensions yet
smily_headphones1.gif

Shouldn't be a problem - just maybe a few rearrangements of certain things
eggosmile.gif

Mar 25, 2005 at 10:45 PM Post #29 of 54
If you want to save even more, IME avoid the change of tools, that means try to use the same engraver for all the figures.
A suggestion based in my experience with them, try to reduce the amount of cavities there, they are not done so perfect IMO, and does not look sharp, just leave the ones that will be covered by the the knobs or the ones that are small, and why not removing a few? This will make a more sober design.
Also check the coordenades for the cavities and holes, they should match exactly, if you look closer there are some crosses that does not match and are overlapped (check bassboost and output) the on/off on the bassboost the crosses should be in the center of the text to make them look symetric...

But don't pay too much attention to me, I'm a little "picky" and "neurotic" with the details...LOL....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2005 at 10:45 PM Post #30 of 54
Quote:

I hope the headphone HPGL file turns out ok.. It's at 25% with 0.2mm engraver.
Final price - 51 euroes

The headphone HPGL works fine and looks better on the panel than the preview on screen. Take a look at this panel http://home.t-online.de/home/stonera...el_800x600.jpg , the headphone hpgl is at 20% (5.5mm x 6.00mm) with 0.2mm engraver

Users who are viewing this thread

Back