Requesting advice: selecting good affordable headphones for mainly rock music
Nov 3, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #16 of 23
The MS1 (w/ bowls) is almost identical to the SR225. The MS1 has more bass, but the SR225 has quality bass. Honestly, If I didn't compare them side by side, I probably couldn't have noticed a difference. Get the MS1.

Nov 3, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaughter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MS1 (w/ bowls) is almost identical to the SR225. The MS1 has more bass, but the SR225 has quality bass. Honestly, If I didn't compare them side by side, I probably couldn't have noticed a difference. Get the MS1.

Wow... I really couldn't disagree more. The MS1 is one of the most bass-shy headphones I've come across (again, in quantity, certainly not quality - and before you presume that I'm a bass-head, search around for my glowing opinions of the K701's bass, the best I've yet heard, though certainly nowhere near perfect
wink.gif
). The SR225 certainly isn't what I'd call a bass-heavy headphone, not by a long shot, but it has more of it in both quality and quantity to my ears than the SR60, which is a bassier headphone than the MS1...

I really don't want to come off as a hater of those headphones, though. They are one of the single best values at their price-point (and higher) available, but I found them too tame, well behaved, for a truly visceral Rock experience. I'm also speaking entirely from experience with bowl pads. But, let's not digress.
biggrin.gif

To the OP, considering your adjusted budget, I'd round my choices down to the following three, in no particular order:

Alessandro MS1 - Amazingly balanced, with great sound quality top to bottom. Very tame compared to the Grado house sound, though it's really just a variation on a theme. These are still Grados, really, just fine tuned for a little more neutrality. I found these more appropriate as a Jazz or acoustic/lighter Rock headphone. Again, this is one of the best (barely) sub-$100 headphones on the market. It's very possible you'll prefer this to the SR60 due to its refinement and smoother tone, though it is still a bright can. As a bit of trivia, the MS1 is based on the same driver found in either the SR80 or 125 (not sure which).

Grado SR60 - Also regarded as one of the best bang-for-buck headphones on the market. Somewhat sloppy, but satisfying bass with a decent amount of slam. Signature Grado mids (truly where this company shines) and a "sparkle" at the top-end that you'll either love or hate. These can be fatiguing headphones for some. Amazing for Rock of all kinds, less so for Jazz than the MS1. It's personally recommended that you replace the stock pads with either flat pads or bowls, which will up the cost. For many people, this headphone will be the last headphone they'll ever need, but it's really a bit of a one-trick pony... though the bass response does make it an acceptable choice for electronic music and really quite good for Hip Hop, IMO.

Note: Try to hear these (Grado and Alessandro) for yourself first. This is generally a good idea, but especially true with these brands simply due to their comfort issues with many people.

Goldring DR150 - If you can put these on your head without getting a grin from ear to ear, you should see an audiologist!
biggrin.gif

Very bass-heavy, but they manage to retain a decent amount of detail and clarity across the full range. You shouldn't have any comfort issues here at all. I don't really know what I can say here, as my experience (from a while ago, no less) with them was limited. All I can tell you is they are another bang-for-buck contender with a decidedly different sound than Grados, but with an aggressive, forward presentation that makes them equally well-suited to Rock music. Added trade-off here is that they are small miracles for electronic and Hip-hop music. Not an accurate tonal balance by any stretch of the imagination, but it's a smile-maker. A booty shaker. And highly recommended.

All three of these choices will spoil you rotten. Once you get a taste, there's no going back.

Nov 6, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #23 of 23
Sennheiser headphones are carried at lots of home-audio shops in my country, so you might want to check that out.

They will probably let you demo it.

But from what I've heard, Grado's do best at rock. They're fast, up front, bright and really get you into the music. Alessandro MS1's sound similar to Grado headphones, but some prefer them as they don't have as much painful treble.

You can get them from the alessandro website for $99 shipped worldwide.

http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back