Request: comparison between Grado HP-1 & K-701 or HD650
Mar 31, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #31 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
28 awg and palladium? A metal with such a low conductivity in such a thin gauge must give a relatively high resistance to that cable. Not sure how good that might be.

About 9 Ohms in the length I have, it's not something with which I'm particularly happy and it's probably only a matter of time before I bite the bullet and go with a thicker wire. I might have to omit the shield in that case to prevent the cable from becoming too thick and unwieldy. Who knows, iridium wire may be in my future...

Apr 1, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #32 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About 9 Ohms in the length I have, it's not something with which I'm particularly happy and it's probably only a matter of time before I bite the bullet and go with a thicker wire. I might have to omit the shield in that case to prevent the cable from becoming too thick and unwieldy. Who knows, iridium wire may be in my future...

I just measured my Zu Mobius (10 feet) resistance, all the way from the right channel at the plug, then shorted the right headphone connector, and then measured back on ground at the plug, so it's actually measuring 20 feet of wire. With my analog multimeter I always measure 0 ohms. With my digital multimeter I measure just 0.5 ohms. Same for left channel.

Measuring the stock cable in the same manner with the digital I get 1.6 ohms. With the analog multimeter the stock cable also measures 0 ohms though. Maybe my analog multimeter is not so precise. I just calibrated it just in case, but still.

Apr 1, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #33 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pickup some PCC88 7308/7dj tubes for the melos, longer life, better sounding tubes then the 6922s . Usually Cheaper to buy.

I'm thinking about the Sylvania 7308 or Ei-Yugo ECC88 as a more reasonably priced tube which seems to work well in the Melos.

Apr 8, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #34 of 35
Here's an update:

1) I have a pair of K 701s on the way since I found a nice used pair. (My 1st head-fi-induced financial damage.)

2) I'm using the JAN Philips USA 6922 & I'm surprised at how nice they sound in the Melos since there are some reports of them being very microphonic. I also bought a pair of the JJ/Tesla & am thinking about getting a pair of the Electroharmonix.

May 17, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #35 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, did you buy the 28 awg Palladium wire from Aural Thrills? That's what's in my Aural Thrills Palladium interconnects, so I know the sound well.

My ps-1 headphone cable was custom ordered from Aural Thrills. It uses teflon tubing and copper sheild, with beryillium copper wire and silver return.

Biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back