Request: comparison between Grado HP-1 & K-701 or HD650
Mar 30, 2007 at 9:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

quattro98

Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm new here & I haven't listened to headphones for quite some time, but I've spending more time with them recently. I have a pair of Grado HP-1s & a Melos SHA-1 which I had for about 15 years. I'm curious how newer models like the K-701 & HD650 compare to what I have. I am sure the newer models will be lighter & more comfortable, but I don't know how the sound would compare. Thanks.

Mar 30, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #2 of 35
You will hear people say differently, but don't beleive them
very_evil_smiley.gif

But the HP-1 is in another galaxy than the K701 and HD650. It is far more detailed, accurate, and images with the best of them. It is also faster and resolves like few other headphones.

The K701 and HD650 both have bigger soundstages and are more comfortable.

Between the K701 and HD650. The K701 is more detailed, has a more pronounced treble and is more analytical

The HD650 has excessive bass, a warmer presentation and is slightly slower, but not as fatuiging.

That's my overgeneralized data dump.

Mar 30, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 35
Hi Aalok. Welcome to head-fi and sorry about your wallet. It's an obligatory greeting.

You have one of the most synergistic and renowned combos in all of headphonedom. I had the same combo as well, prior to picking up a PS-1 and selling off the HP-1000. I absolutley love my Melos and will never part ways with it.

The short answer to your question is No. I've heard neither the K701 or HD650 but can answer affirmatively that the HP-1000 easily trounces both, especially when plugged in to a Melos. There are very few cans available, in and out of production, that can compete with or best the high-end Grados.

Mar 30, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #4 of 35
Well, I personally think it's hard to compare these headphones because both the K 701 and HD650 are quite different from the HP1. The HD650 sounds more like the K 701 and vice versa than either sound like the HP1. And personally, I think the HP1 is a difficult headphone to describe. But here goes.

Oh, I'm assuming you're using the HP1000 with flats. I'm also much more familiar with the HD650 as I've owned them from time to time, while I've only heard the K 701 on occasion.

Both the HD650 and K 701 will give you a wider sense of air than the HP1. Their sound will seem to be more diffuse spatially, perhaps more pseudo-speaker-like might be a way to describe it.

To my ears the HD650 and K 701 have greater extension on both the highs and lows than the HP1. Treble will seem more crisp on either of these two cans.

Neither of these cans have the purity of tonality that the HP1 does. In other words, you will always be aware that you are listening to reproduced music, at least with most normal amps (some amazing systems can draw some amazing performance out of these cans). The HP1000 has the remarkable capacity for the drivers to just disappear, leaving you directly connected with the music, and neither of the newer cans can do that, at least in most systems.

Hmm, I suppose I could go on forever the more I think about differences... but I guess there's a start. Honestly, if you're looking for direct-fire timbre, impact and resolution, the HP1000 is the way to go. If you want a more spacious soundstage, more extension, and perhaps, arguably, more technically proficient/nimble performance - though, surprisingly, this doesn't always translate to a more rewarding musical experience, at least not without quite a bit of work, I guess I'd look to the newer cans. My preferences are strongly for the ancient Grado, but the newer cans have much to recommend them.

Best,

-Jason

Mar 30, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #5 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Augustus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find that the HD650 has no bass excessiveness unless you actually dislike a well grounded sound (as some audiophiles do).

X2.
And a balanced HD650 easily outperforms PS-1 (that is the closest I've heard to HP1000) in most regards to my taste.

Mar 30, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #6 of 35
Thanks for the replies. The reason that I ask is I wonder about getting a second system with something like a Hornet amp & another pair of headphones for use in another room or even to take on trips. I guess I've also seen newer headphones over the years (I remember when the HD600 came out) and always thought about getting another pair.

Mar 30, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #7 of 35
Well, honestly, I think a Hornet and HD600 would be a nice transportable change of pace from the HP1000. I agree that the Melos does some darned amazing things with the HP1000... but just because you own a classic Shelby Cobra, why wouldn't you also want a new BMW Z4?
biggrin.gif

Heh... me and my automobile analogies...

Best,

-Jason

Mar 30, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #8 of 35
I think the setup I'd like to get is a Hornet & the K-701s, but I've never been able to convince myself to spend money on another set of headphones since I have nice gear already.

Mar 30, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by quattro98 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the setup I'd like to get is a Hornet & the K-701s, but I've never been able to convince myself to spend money on another set of headphones since I have nice gear already.

But now you're here, so that won't be a problem.
Hide wallet hide!!!!
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 30, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #12 of 35
For an amp, I'd like to get the Hornet because RSA is a local company which is cool. I doubt I am going to get a new set of headphones, but I'd be choosing between the HD650 & K701.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Augustus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In this case...

I would keep a keen eye on a HD650 + Xenos 1HA-EPC setup, too.

Mar 30, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #13 of 35
I had a HD650 for a long time. After hearing my HP-1000 I sold the HD650, like Jason said the HP-1000 just nails the tonality of music. And yes my HP-2 has the ability to just let the music play and get out of the way without imparting its own signature. What I'm hearing is my amp, tubes and source.

If you want a transportable rig the K501 or HD580 are both good values and would go well with a portable amp.

Just curious what tubes you're using in your SHA-1? Tube rolling makes a nice difference with the HP-2 and can slightly tailor the sound to your liking.

Mar 31, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by quattro98 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For an amp, I'd like to get the Hornet because RSA is a local company which is cool.

dude ... Call, Ray, then go to his place in Skokie and check out the wares. Whether you buy or not, it will be worth the trip.

As for me, I own most of what you ask about (I have the HP-2 = HP-1 without the phase invert switch), HD 650, and K701. Each is excellent, but none better than your HP-1. If you have plenty of $$$, buy the 701 and 650, as they offer an equal but different presentation, and variety makes the orb turn.

If you are happy with the HP-1s, look no further, but, do give Ray a call. He is fantastic in his knowledge and enthusiasm, and a trip to spend time with.

Fanboy disclaimer: If the OP were in Denver, I would say the same of Mikhail; if in DC, it would be Justin; if Turin or environs, Rudi, etc, etc. Please cut me some slack here ...

Mar 31, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #15 of 35
Welcome Aalok!

Good to see another local headfier, I am in the chicagoland area as well. Maybe we can shedule a time to get together, I have some gear and other cans if you would like to check out as well as different amps. Due to location Ray and I have developed a nice friendship over the past 2 years, in fact I met him because I was looking for my 1st amp and saw he was in Skokie, and at the time was living with my parents 2 blocks away in Skokie as well. Definitely a good time over at the Ray's house, plenty of cans to check out as well. let me know if you plan on stopping by there, we could meet up as I am always interested in meeting fellow headfiers. I have the HP-1000's as well, they have been my reference for awhile now compared to the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back