Headphoneus Supremus
Reporter: I was a 'security threat' on flight | ajc.com

Quote:

Reporter: I was a 'security threat' on flight
Airborne, suspicion spell trouble for innocent passenger

By DAVID HO
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 06/22/08

NEW YORK — "So. Turns out, I'm the security threat," I told my editor, calling him from my airline seat. The police with their assault rifles had left, along with the cop who moments before had shoved me against a jetway wall.

Like many regular fliers, I have a finely honed security routine. Lotions and hand sanitizer in the little plastic bag. Laptop in a form-fitting case for X-ray adventures. My shoes almost untie themselves.
But I found there are still things you can't predict. More than half a dozen years after Sept. 11, 2001, little may prevent an innocent traveler from becoming an imagined threat.

On June 16, I flew JetBlue from New York to Las Vegas to report on a telecommunications conference.

It was the day after Father's Day. I had my 3-year-old son in my thoughts and the gift of a blue tie in my luggage.

At the airport, my gadget-filled carry-on got a common close look — extra X-rays, bomb residue swabs, a hand search. I thanked the agent for thoroughness.

Expecting the plane to be delayed, I bought two sandwiches and two bottles of water. Sitting right beside the gate, I sorted BlackBerry e-mail, ate a banana and drank orange juice.

With no cup handy, I tipped water in the empty OJ bottle and tossed in a tablet of Airborne, the dissolving vitamin supplement intended to ward off colds. With the plane boarding and the tablet still melting, I dropped the bottle in the plastic "I Love NY" bag from the sandwich counter. I soon drank the water at my seat.

I wasn't surprised when we waited nearly an hour on the runway.

But I didn't expect a return to the gate. Certainly not the Port Authority Police car waiting for us and four more cars and trucks speeding our way. I was really surprised by the two guys in black body armor who strode toward the front of the plane with automatic weapons.

I write about many things. Tech, telecom, toys, terrorism. I even write about airlines and the aftermath of 9/11.

As police arrived, I was dialing my editor and had my camera at the ready. Passengers were looking for our plane in the news, tuning seat-back TVs to CNN.

Two rows behind me, the police picked out a young woman with short blond hair and a stud below her lower lip. They left with her and her bags.

A flight attendant chastised me for trying to get a picture.

I was talking to my editor when a JetBlue worker told my row to get up. He directed me to go immediately to the front while he gathered my bags.

Uh-oh, I thought, they're upset about the camera. Occupational hazard.

Outside, many very serious police awaited. The blond woman was nowhere in sight.

"Do you have ID?" one asked.

"Yeah, back at my seat," I said.

"Back at your seat? Outstanding," he sighed.

My bags arrived, but I had no chance to show my driver's license or New York Police Department press pass. Or mention how many times I've been cleared by Secret Service background checks.

I barely had time to ask "What's up?" before a cop grabbed my shirt and pulled me to the side.

"Excuse me?" I protested.

He put his hands on my shoulders and chest and pushed me against the wall.

"Stand there and be quiet," he said, an edge in his voice. I obeyed and leaned back against the curving corridor.

"Let me see your hands," he ordered.

"Yes, sir."

An older officer approached.

"Here's the deal," he said. "A passenger saw you doing something suspicious."

"Like what?" I asked.

"Mixing something," he said.

Mixing something? I was stunned. This was about me?

I thought for half a second and then laughed before blurting out unwise words.

"It's Airborne," I said.

"What's airborne right now?" the officer asked sharply.

"No, the cold medication you take when you go on an airplane," I said.

He asked me if it was still in my bag. Sure, I said.

"Dissolves in liquid, right?" the officer said, holding the brightly labeled plastic tube. He spoke with a resigned disgust that seemed to say he was tired of never-ending false alarms.

"Wonderful," another said. Someone muttered about wasted money.

The officer who shoved me took my name, address and other information. I hope a no-fly list isn't in my future.

A JetBlue worker offered brief apologies and took still more information.

I told him I understood the need for caution, and I felt bad about everyone getting delayed over such a ridiculous thing. "I wish everybody had that attitude," he said.

I went back to my seat, greeted by curious stares. I told nearby passengers my tale. Many said the blond woman had called the police on me. She soon returned, moved to the front row.

As our trip resumed, I felt shaky as it all sunk in.

Off the plane, the sympathies of fellow passengers raised my spirits. Some questioned what terrorists would have done with police so obviously closing in.

I spotted the blond woman at baggage claim and demanded an explanation. She apologized. She said she had seen something that concerned her and she called her sister, who called the police. "I have a very cautious family," she said.

And I am left with questions. Should I have protested more? It's hard to argue with an outcome that doesn't involve a small, windowless room.

Would someone paler or older plopping an antacid turn any heads?

How often does "see something, say something" save lives? How often does it burn up jet fuel and cause nationwide air traffic delays?

And how many people have this kind of disturbing experience but don't get to tell their stories?

What a sad society has we become? They should just banned that blond woman from flying.

Jun 21, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #2 of 64
Better safe than sorry?
biggrin.gif

I think this still has some base of logic though.
Suppose she felt threatened by his facial hair and then sees him mixing a mysterious drink.

At least it pales to the story where some guy wearing a "gun on t-shirt" was considered a security risk.

Jun 21, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #4 of 64
I'm certain it's disturbing for some people but I haven't felt it as a hindrance when I travel. Yea, flying still ought to be free.

Jun 21, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #6 of 64
If I had seen this I would have been suspicious too, although I probably would have confronted the guy instead and asked him what he just did. I would only do this though knowing that he had just been screened for weapons. I would do it in a polite and pleasant manner so as not to offend him. Any rational person would gladly explain what he or she was doing. If he or she refused, then I would notify the proper personnel.

Jun 21, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #7 of 64
Can't go too much into this without crossing the political line, but this is security theater. Just pretend security.

Does keeping an upset woman off a plane make anyone safer?

Does threatening to arrest someone who missed a flight make anyone safer?

No. Holy hell no.

This is just money, time and effort down the toilet without improving anything.

I'm all for real security. This make-believe stuff is worse than useless. It's hugely expensive, accomplishes nothing and is horrible to people who do not deserve it.

Jun 21, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #8 of 64
I'm perfectly content to put up with some minor inconvenience in exchange for some assurance that flights will be safer. I do find it to be poetic justice that a reporter is hassled...as FalconP has noted, they are not particularly understanding or appreciative of what these folks are trying to accomplish.

Oh, and BTW - let's not let this thread get too political, or develop into a flame war. If it does, we'll have to shut it down. Thanks...

Jun 21, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #9 of 64
I could only imagine what would have happened to me (if I were in that situation).

Note: I'm half-arab, half-Indian.

Jun 21, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #10 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayman2k2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could only imagine what would have happened to me (if I were in that situation).

Note: I'm half-arab, half-Indian.

Questioned in a small room with no windows like my friend had happen to him

Jun 21, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #11 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't go too much into this without crossing the political line, but this is security theater. Just pretend security.

Does keeping an upset woman off a plane make anyone safer?

Does threatening to arrest someone who missed a flight make anyone safer?

No. Holy hell no.

This is just money, time and effort down the toilet without improving anything.

I'm all for real security. This make-believe stuff is worse than useless. It's hugely expensive, accomplishes nothing and is horrible to people who do not deserve it.

Bingo, These are all useless, locked cabin door to prevent access to pilots are the most useful since 9/11. War on shoes, War on liquids, ID requirement these are security theatres, wake up guys, this is why the terorist have won.
As our Founding Father have said "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Jun 21, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #12 of 64
Where did the banana and orange juice come from? If he was eating and drinking those while waiting why get the sandwiches and water? Why transfer the water from one container to another to dissolve a tablet that can A)be swallowed B)could have been dissolved into the bottle of water as it was and C)doesn't work as a medicine to the degree there was a class action lawsuit over the product, not that C is particularly relevant.

And then there's the roundabout way that the police were involved, if the woman suspected something, like say, a terrorist, in plain sight of people in an airport terminal mixing up his bomb chemicals and drinking some of them, then phoned her family to tell them, which hopefully she did because it was a joke that was received by someone in her family who's a complete tool, or she herself is a complete tool, why didn't she tell airport security or confront the man? The family tell the police? I'm sorry but if I was the police call operator getting a phone call saying "my sister just saw a man in an airport and he might have been doing something suspicious" I'd have said "why isn't she phoning me herself then? Piss off prank caller". or words to that effect.

This whole story reeks of missing context and information and it would not surprise me in the least if this reporter had tried to make this pointless liquid transfer look more significant than it was to test if anyone would do or say anything.

The massive fist of security that seems to surround air travel since 9/11 will break down eventually, when those resources have to be diverted to deal with the new fashionable terrorist target. Oil Tankers.

The story is a pythonesque pantomime of facepalm. But I have no doubt that others even more daft than it exist.

Jun 21, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #13 of 64
How much of this was because the author was Asian?
of course, no one would admit to such a thing. (maybe in our
own private circles aka behind closed doors)

edit, his first mistake was flying JetBlue, just my opinion.

Jun 21, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #15 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone here ever flown to Israel? Search the El Al airlines website, or do a google search on their pre-flight routine.

Well, I haven't however many frequent flyers posting in Flyertalk much prefer el Al Security than the theatre security we have here under TSA. The most reason mentions, they are much more profesional unlike our 'goons' which we have here which threat are always be "Do you want to fly today?" 2nd reason, the el Al actually conduct security, not the theatric, war on liquids we have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back