Report: Thread Notification Emails
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 20, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #31 of 51
I'm having essentially the same problem. It seems that the ship Head-Fi is drifting onto the rocks with no one in the pilot house.
A moderator reached out to me via PM and we discovered that all of my emails for some reason were ending up in my spam folder ever since the site was changed. We dont know why this is,but after I found all of my emails I marked them as "not spam" and now they seem to be coming to my regular inbox.

Using GMail.

Feb 22, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #32 of 51
It appears somebody saw my and other complaints and responded. Email notifications of new posts in my watched threads have started appearing on my Gmail account. There is still a major problem - the content of these emails is severely truncated (as has been complained about already), but at least the notifications are there. I guess the lack of moderator/administrator responses in this thread didn't mean nobody was listening. Now time will tell whether the fix will last.

Feb 25, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #33 of 51
Could we please get an official response addressing the issue of the horrible message truncation in the new email notifications.

Is this something that will be changed back to the useful format they used to have, or just "tough crap, deal with it"?

Thank you.
I have a strong hunch the reason for the e-mail truncation is to get us to log onto the website more often to see the ads.
The problem is that the contentless e-mail notifications have become completely useless for watched threads so I finally just stopped the e-mails. I can always check Head-Fi every so often for all the watched threads for updates. Then I guess Head-Fi still gets the ad revenues and I don't get useless e-mails.
It definitely would have been nicer if there is more official feedbacks on the matter as this has been quite frustrating.

Feb 25, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #34 of 51
I have a strong hunch the reason for the e-mail truncation is to get us to log onto the website more often to see the ads.
The problem is that the contentless e-mail notifications have become completely useless for watched threads so I finally just stopped the e-mails. I can always check Head-Fi every so often for all the watched threads for updates. Then I guess Head-Fi still gets the ad revenues and I don't get useless e-mails.
It definitely would have been nicer if there is more official feedbacks on the matter as this has been quite frustrating.

Sadly Abba got it right....
Money, money, money
Must be funny
In the rich man's world
Money, money, money
Always sunny
In the rich man's world

Sad world, based on 'self centredness'. Never changes.

Feb 25, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #35 of 51
+1 on the truncated email notifications being useless. Going to go turn them off now. Almost certain I will visit the forums less often now - unintended consequences.

Feb 26, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #36 of 51
I have tried unchecking and checking again all my email notification, at one point I was receiving them... and now I don't.
I just feel a bit let down because before the update everyday I would receive email notifications about my threads, and now I don't and it makes me feel like Head-Fi is dying... Can one of the admins help me fix this?

Mar 1, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #37 of 51
I go to my Subscribed threads, I select that I want e-mail notifications for all, I get notifications (the truncated ones) for a couple of days, then they start dropping off, then all goes quiet and I have to select e-mail notifications again, then they start disappearing again... I am giving up. I will end up visiting HeadFi a lot less if this isn't addressed.

Mar 1, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #38 of 51
I go to my Subscribed threads, I select that I want e-mail notifications for all, I get notifications (the truncated ones) for a couple of days, then they start dropping off, then all goes quiet and I have to select e-mail notifications again, then they start disappearing again... I am giving up. I will end up visiting HeadFi a lot less if this isn't addressed.
I feel similar about Head-Fi... I am just unsatisfied with the update a lot. Especially because of what happened with the email, now you cant even view the whole messages through the mail, only the first sentence or so shows up.
Before the update I would stay active every single day. Now I barely check once a week, and even less frequently actually post.

I doubt many of these things will be fixed, but the Head-Fi team is working for sure, they will probably make some changes.

Mar 5, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #39 of 51
I haven't gotten email notifications for any of my subscribed threads in almost two weeks now. I come back on my own and lo and behold the threads I am watching have had numerous replies all along.

This forum notifications are completely broken, and management doesn't appear to give a damn.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. Guess I'll be doing my headphones research at Hifiguides and Reddit. This place will become a wasteland without functional notifications. I don't have time to come here and manually hunt through all my subscribed threads to see which ones have had activity.

Forum Management 101. Learn it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 5, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #40 of 51
As a reminder for those who have recently come across this thread, there is a setting in profiles for persistent email notifications that needs to be enabled to receive a notification for every new post. Without enabling that option, you will only receive a single email until you revisit the thread.

@heavyharmonies Your setting was disabled, so I have enabled it for you. You should start receiving notifications for all new posts in threads where you have elected to receive emails.

Mar 6, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #41 of 51
As a reminder for those who have recently come across this thread, there is a setting in profiles for persistent email notifications that needs to be enabled to receive a notification for every new post. Without enabling that option, you will only receive a single email until you revisit the thread.

Honest question, not trying to be difficult:
Why would you upgrade the software and not make that setting the default? Everyone who was subscribed to e-mail notifications obviously wanted them, not just one and stop. Then you change that automatically and people are supposed to find the new toggle? I am sure only a small percentage of us has made it to this thread to figure out what is going on.

I get it that you made the notifications useless from a readability perspective in order to have people visit the site for ads, but the default stop notification after one e-mail is illogical.

Mar 6, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #43 of 51
Another problem is the fact that emails are truncated. Is something going to be done about that ?

I think that they want it that way. Otherwise we have the facility of reading them in our inboxes without visiting the site, which equals less traffic, less ad views, less revenue. I guess it makes sense as a business decision, so although inconvenient for us, I don't see it as illogical. It's a calculation they made... some people will be annoyed by losing the nice, non-truncated e-mail notification and will use the site less, but this will be made up by the increased traffic from everyone checking what the notification is about.

Mar 6, 2020 at 7:15 AM Post #44 of 51

@heavyharmonies Your setting was disabled, so I have enabled it for you. You should start receiving notifications for all new posts in threads where you have elected to receive emails.

CaptainFantastic hit the nail on the had above: why would you alter a system default for everyone for something this critical to deviate from industry standard norms?

Also why all the tapdancing and avoiding the fundamental question that has been asked in this thread: WHY THE CHANGE FROM FULL POST CONTENT TO USELESS ONE-LINE TRUNCATED POSTS IN THE NOTIFICATION EMAILS?

If it was a deliberate change to force people to come here for ad revenue, SAY THAT.

If it is an intentional trial and you will consider reverting after a period of analysis of traffic analytics, SAY THAT.

If it is a side effect of a global change that is not configurable, SAY THAT.

If it is too complicated to change or roll back, SAY THAT.

Transparency, for the love of God. It cures all ills.

This really is basic forum management: you don't remove or alter major functionality that the membership relies upon without a legitimate reason for doing so. More importantly, you proactively communicate expected changes before you roll them out, and continue to regularly update/respond after the fact.

Good grief, this isn't that hard.

Mar 6, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #45 of 51
Just like the title says, I had been receiving them, but now I am not getting email notifications of my subscribed threads anymore. I unsubscribed then re-subscribed and indicated wanting emails to no avail.

Am I doing something wrong? It seems to have happened after the new update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back