Replacing/Upgrading from Denon C551k's - Brainwavz M2 a good choice?
Jan 12, 2011 at 1:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

amac

New Head-Fier
My c551s, which I've had for the past year and a half, died two days ago :frowning2:. The left phone's connection went dead, but the right one still works. Listening to music with one ear feels like you're only getting 20% of the experience of both ears. :/

I got the denon's at a pretty good price for $50 on amazon, but amazon doesn't have any good deals. I did like the denons quite a bit, as they were my first real step up from cheapo earbuds.

I want something that I can use for all types of music.. I listen to everything from Radiohead to Stan Getz to Bob Marley to Nas. It should have a decent amount of bass, but I'm definitely not a die-hard basshead. I've been researching here for the past couple of days(was initially leaning toward klipsch s4s, but have changed my mind since), and I've narrowed my choices to some possible contenders, in order of preference:

1. Brainwavz M2, or the M3 if the $30 price jump is worth the SQ

2. Sunrise SW Xscape, I've heard this is like a refined RE0 with a little more bass, but idk if it will be enough..

Will the M2 be a proper step up, or something equal to the 551s? Or should I go for the Xscape?I'm open to other choices <$90 as well.

Thanks!!
smile.gif

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #2 of 4
I've also been looking at the Eterna..just can't seem to make up my mind. Any help anyone?

Jan 12, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #3 of 4
I have not heard the 551's, but I do own both the M2's and the xcapes. I can tell you that if you like sub bass, than neither is for you. If you like a mid bass hump with excellent mids but slightly cut off highs, then get the M2's. The xcape is a much more neutral iem. Everything feels like it has the proper amount of emphasis within the spectrum. Because of this you might find them boring, but I'm starting to really like them for their accuracy compared to all the cheaper and more colored iem's. Xcapes bass is a lot less than the M2, but I now find it satisfactory. I come from a history of senn cx300 and meelec M9 type bass too.

Jan 12, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #4 of 4
I too coming from Denon C700 and C551, right now my main IEM is the Xcape. Ever since I got my Xcape, my C700 sounds like a subwoofer and the bass kind of overpowered the other freqs (C551 supposed to have more impact than C700). With the Xcape, the sound is pretty accurate, everything is just enough and sounds right to my ear. It's like listening to a live concert without the audience and speakers, just pure instruments. Kick drum sounds the way it is in real life (no boom, just tight and punchy), bass sounds just right (I can hear the strings being plucked with the Xcape), treble and mid are smooth and balance. For me, the Xcape is an improvement to my C700 and C551. Pairing it with FiiO E7 and it sounds superb 
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back