Replacing the swivel hinge of the JVC HA-SZ2000 (Fixing the unfixable)
Mar 10, 2021 at 3:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Ucandoit

New Head-Fier
I was using my Sz-2000 and the hd650 as daily drivers since 2017 and saw many people here having issues with the build quality of the sz2000 headphones and I didn't take it seriously until my pair finally gave up on my poor maintenance habit (not using stangs and throwing them in my bag from time to time). the swivel hinge that allows the twisting of the cups broke suddenly. literally, the cup just fell off of my hand and hang from the cable when tried to put them on one day. The area of contact is too small so I knew 100% that using any kind of glue will make a mess and won't work. So, I just kept using the hd650 and abandoned the Sz-2000. But, still didn't want them to go to waste, and also I missed the extra bass. almost a year later I was bored and decided to 3d print the damn thing using metal. I disassembled the side that broke off.

dis 1.JPG

dis 2.JPG

Basically, this is not a full guide but I had to distinguish between the cable of the current cup's woofer and the cable of the other side cup they both go together in one hole. After carefully finding the cable of the other cup, I desoldered it and removed the all hinges. And go all the parts in front of me and tried to figure out the best way to fix the mess.
dis 3.JPG

After that, I opened solid works and grabbed a caliper, and started making measurements and designing a thing that connects directly to the cup ring with screws
dis 4.JPG

dis 5.JPG

dis 6.JPG

I couldn't be 100% sure about the design I just trusted my measurements and was planning on doing some polishing after the 3d prints.
I hed up to a 3d printing service ( there are many) I put the STL file choose bronze infiltrated stainless-steel which is the cheapest way to print metal and it turned out later that it's a damn hard material even harder than my file. I got an instant quote that it was gonna cost me 15? plus 8 for shipping which not bad at all.
dis 7.JPG

the measurements weren't bad at all. I just had to widen the holes a bit for the screws as it is obvious in the picture that I screwed in measuring the holes because I am such a genius instead of measuring the screws, I was measuring the holes. I cut a bit from the cup ring and removed all the broken material to make room for the metal hinge.
dis 8.JPG

did some extra polishing when I knew the thing actually worked.
dis 9.JPG

put the cable through all the hinges as it was before and here it was the most challenging part since the headphones are really clumsy and the cable barely fits. I glue the cotton back and resoldered the wires according to the pictures I took earlier and the headphones are back alive now. I also just order 2 stands because I learned a lesson
dis 10.JPG

dis 12.JPG

Apr 29, 2021 at 5:32 AM Post #2 of 2
Wow, this is an excellent guide! Thanks for taking the time to post this.

Can I just ask, did you notice a clicking sound when the problem first started?

On mine, The left side had started clicking loudly when I put them on - every time. It's a bit annoying because I've hardly used them, even though I've had them a few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back