Replacing my ATH-A900X? (shortlist inside)
Dec 15, 2014 at 12:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

finazvandi

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I'm looking for recommendations on what to get to replace my Audio-Technica ATH-A900X. I absolutely loved their sound but even after using a ribbon to secure the "wings" I could never get them to fit comfortably - felt heavy, a bit too much pressure on the sides of my face/jaw.

I listen mainly to Jazz (Wes Montgomery, Art Blakey, Miles Davis, Jimmy Smith, Monk, Coltrane, etc) and a mix of Alternative/Indie/Folk/Rock (Wilco, Lyle Lovett, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Radiohead, The National, The White Stripes, Johnny Cash). Source is mostly lossless files from a MacBook Pro. I am not looking to add a DAC or amp. Priority is on comfort with good soundstage, I want to listen/enjoy the music not analyze it.

A mic/iPhone volume control would be nice bonus features, but not required. I use Etymotic HF5 for the bus, but it would be nice to be able to throw these in a backpack to bring them back-and-forth between home and office.

Budget is around $150-200, looking to buy used/Amazon Warehouse.

Here is my ranked shortlist, I guess I'm wondering if there is a strong reason to take one of the others over the 598s?

Sennheiser 598 - I'm leaning towards these unless they are really outclassed by one of the others
Philips Fidelio X1 - better than the L1?
Philips Fidelio L1 - at the moment this looks to be the lowest priced option, also has inline mic
Bowers & Wilkins P5
V-MODA XS

(I know the Philips and B&W models have newer versions, but those aren't in my budget...)

Dec 15, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #2 of 5
Sounds like there is too much clamping force: in this case you might want to consider removing the ribbon.

I noticed that you mentioned portability but are looking at open-back headphones, which leak sound and have no isolation.  I take it this isn't a problem for you?  Most of those headphones will be more of a "sidegrade" than an "upgrade"; after all the A900X itself falls within that price range, and it is by no means an inferior headphone but instead very competitive.  If you're expecting a real upgrade, you'll only get one with a used headphone.

The Sennheiser HD 598 probably sounds closer to the A900X compared to the others.  Do you want a vastly different sound than what the A900X provides?

Dec 15, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the comments. I have fiddled around with the ribbon but just can't get the A900X to be comfortable, without the ribbon I find the wings are too weak to support the headphones and they slide down my ears.

Open-back headphones and leaking sound out are not a problem at home or in my office, and I have the IEMs for commuting. For portability I was just thinking about something that was sturdy enough to be carried back and forth to work. It seemed like the L1, P5, and V-Moda ones were more compact and better for transport compared to the 598 and X1, but I guess it's not the make-or-break factor for me.

As for the big question of sound and "sidegrade" vs "upgrade" - yes, I've been happy with the A900X sound and am looking to "sidegrade" into something else that sounds as good but is more comfortable. Can anyone comment on differences between the 598s and either of the Fidelio models?

Dec 15, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #4 of 5
While I haven't heard the HD 598 or Philips Fidelio X1 personally, you'll find that the HD 598 is a more neutral headphone while the X1 is designed to be bass heavy.  

Fidelio X1's frequency response:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/Philips_X1_Graphs_FR.jpg

HD 598's frequency response:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD598.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back