Replacing my AKG K550?
Jul 12, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #16 of 22
Two days ago I would have said no Sennheiser. However, I've recently got a new Amp (SMSL SAP II Pro) which is a little warmer sounding than my other amp (Little Dot I+ with Mullard CV4010 valves and LT1364 OpAmp) and I'm liking it. Only think that concerns me about the Sennheiser is that the design reminds me very much of the Goldring DR150 I had which eventually died because the headband cracked more than I could repair it. I'm assuming thought that the Sennheiser are better made?

The Goldrings AFAIK are all plastic design. The more expensive Sennheisers use a metal headband frame with a plastic aesthetic cover on top and matched plastic gimbals holding plastic cups.

Jul 12, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #17 of 22
The Goldrings AFAIK are all plastic design. The more expensive Sennheisers use a metal headband frame with a plastic aesthetic cover on top and matched plastic gimbals holding plastic cups.

That should make them OK then. The Goldring were indeed all plastic and eventually it cracked beyond repair. (Held them together for 2 years from the first crack though :) )

Jul 12, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #18 of 22
As I own both the Beoplay H6 and the Meze 99 Neo, I have to say that if I could only keep one of the two it would be the Meze. I only chose the Neo over the Classic because I wanted the all black and silver look plus my husband already has a Classic and we try to not have duplicates. We can always borrow from each other but we tend not to. The only ones on your list that I have not heard are the Oppo. All the others are very good each with its own strengths. However I have put the Brainwavz hybrid pads on my Fostex t50rp mk3 and the comfort improved immensely and I think the sound might also have improved some but I cannot be sure. At least I know that the pad change did not hurt or ruin the sound. Very enjoyable now... but again, if I had to chose between them and the Meze... the Meze would win. As for the Beyers, if I had to choose between my 880s (250ohm) and my Amirons, I would keep the Amirons but they are more expensive. I did get a great deal on them a few weeks ago when Amazon and Bax both had them for £400. But.... I have a feeling I would still choose the Mezes out of all the ones on your list.But then I already have Sennheiser HD598SE, AKG702, Fostex 500 and ZMF Vibros among others so I have a lot of bases covered...

Are the pads on the Meze 99 replaceable? I'm not a great fan of PU leather pads given past experience of pads peeling but if they are good quality or replaceable then they're still very interesting. Is there any difference in sound signature between the Neo and classic? I like the Classics but the Neo are £50 cheaper!

Jul 12, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #19 of 22
Are the pads on the Meze 99 replaceable? I'm not a great fan of PU leather pads given past experience of pads peeling but if they are good quality or replaceable then they're still very interesting. Is there any difference in sound signature between the Neo and classic? I like the Classics but the Neo are £50 cheaper!

They are replaceable but I would not change them to velour for fear of changing the sound. But yes you can replace them with new ones. Also wipe them off once in a while with a damp cloth and let them air if you have had them on for long hours. Real leather can crack and peel too. These pads are good quality and very comfy. Just make sure you are getting newer stock as the first batch had smaller pads and people complained

The Neo is very new. Main difference in price is due to the wood vs plastic cups. I chose the Neo because i really like the black and silver look.the plasic is nicer looking than you might expect.

There are many reviews of both. I have not tried to compare the sound even though my husband has the classics here. I hate doing that. Some say the Neo has more bass than the classic. Read the reviews if you have time. Some are very long and detailed with great photos. I got mine from an authorized dealer in the UK. Hifiheadphones .

Jul 13, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #20 of 22
That should make them OK then. The Goldring were indeed all plastic and eventually it cracked beyond repair. (Held them together for 2 years from the first crack though :) )

Just note that not all Sennheisers are built that way. You have to check each particular model. The ones I'm sure of are the HD580, HD600, HD650, and HD6XX

Aug 3, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #21 of 22
Well I ended up getting some extra overtime I wasn't expecting and Amazon Marketplace had some ATH-MSR7's with a damaged box but the phones like new for £121.43 so I'm now the owner of the MSR7 :)

Only had chance to listen for less than 1 hour so far but I can say that the bass is a little light for my tastes but can be easily EQ'd up a little (2-3db) to suit me and the clarity and instrument separation is way better than anything else I have so I'm happy with my closed back selection now. If I end up getting the extra overtime later this year or early next as is very possible then a pair of HD600's may be an interesting option or maybe the ATH-AD900X or ATH-R70X. I'll think more about that one nearer the time, for now I'm just going to enjoy my MSR7's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back