Replacing my AKG K550?
Jul 9, 2017 at 3:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Zephead

Head-Fier
I'm going to be looking at replacing my AKG K550 in a couple of months and would like some advice on what to replace them with. I'm replacing them because although I love the sound most of the time I do I have everything below 100hz boosted by 3 on Equalizer APO and on certain songs I have to turn them down because the highs can become a little harsh/strident.

So I'm looking for something similar to the K550 (mk1) but with more base and better controlled treble.

I'm considering the following at the moment but would appreciate any other suggestions as well (Except Sennheiser, I've never got on with them)

Audio Technica ATH MSR7 £169
Bang & Olufsen H6 £180
Fostex T50RP Mk3N £175 with Shure 1540 pads

These are likely to be the price range I'm looking at.

There is a possibility that I may end up with about twice the budget and then these options come into play.

Meze 99 Classics £279
Oppo PM-3 £349 (These may be a little to soft sounding for my liking from what I've read)
Shure SRH1540 £399
Hifiman HE400i £339

I want longevity and comfort as well as great sound as I hope for these to last me at least 5 years so because of that replaceable earpads would be of benefit although if they are genuine leather (like the H6) then that may not be as important. Currently I'm leaning towards the B&O H6 in the lower range and the Hifiman HE400i in the higher price range.

Jul 10, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #3 of 22
I just posted on the Beoplay thread that until midnight tonight the H6 is £135 for Amazon Prime Day. I love mine but I might love my Meze 99 Neo more...

I do not use EQ. I let all my headphones stand on their own strengths. I enjoy various sound signatures. My list is on my profile page.

I have not heard your AKGs.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #4 of 22
I notice you only have one open headphone on your list. Are you interested in open headphones? If you find the K550 sibilant, I think you are going to have a huge problem with the MSR7, which is much more strident. Just FWIW.

Jul 10, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #5 of 22
I'm going to be looking at replacing my AKG K550 in a couple of months and would like some advice on what to replace them with. I'm replacing them because although I love the sound most of the time I do I have everything below 100hz boosted by 3 on Equalizer APO and on certain songs I have to turn them down because the highs can become a little harsh/strident.

So I'm looking for something similar to the K550 (mk1) but with more base and better controlled treble.

Focal Spirit Classic. Check if the new Listen is based on the Classic instead of the older entry level Spirit as the hinge issue is supposedly fixed on the new one.

There is a possibility that I may end up with about twice the budget and then these options come into play.
---
Hifiman HE400i £339
---
I want longevity and comfort as well as great sound as I hope for these to last me at least 5 years so because of that replaceable earpads would be of benefit although if they are genuine leather (like the H6) then that may not be as important. Currently I'm leaning towards the B&O H6 in the lower range and the Hifiman HE400i in the higher price range.

HE400i has lower sensitivity and less isolation than the K550, so if you use it with a higher ambient noise environment, like a computer's cooling fans ramping up, not even the flat response from 1000hz down to 10hz can be perceived as an improvement.

Jul 10, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #6 of 22
You definitely would not have to boost the bass on the Meze 99's that's for certain.

Jul 10, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #8 of 22
The Amazon Prime Day deal that I mentioned earlier, the B6s for £135, did not end at midnight. Looks like it will continue all day today the 11th...so if you decide to choose them, now is the time.

Editing to say that the price is back up now.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #9 of 22
I just posted on the Beoplay thread that until midnight tonight the H6 is £135 for Amazon Prime Day. I love mine but I might love my Meze 99 Neo more...

I do not use EQ. I let all my headphones stand on their own strengths. I enjoy various sound signatures. My list is on my profile page.

I have not heard your AKGs.

Damn. Missed this. If they'd still been that price when I looked I would have hit the buy button now.

Jul 11, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #10 of 22
I notice you only have one open headphone on your list. Are you interested in open headphones? If you find the K550 sibilant, I think you are going to have a huge problem with the MSR7, which is much more strident. Just FWIW.

I am interested in Open it's just that the options in my price range don't seem to be as great as closed. I already have a pair of AKG K612 so open would need to be an upgrade on those.

Jul 11, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #12 of 22
In that case, I would consider adding the HD650 to my list were I you. It's fantastic.

Two days ago I would have said no Sennheiser. However, I've recently got a new Amp (SMSL SAP II Pro) which is a little warmer sounding than my other amp (Little Dot I+ with Mullard CV4010 valves and LT1364 OpAmp) and I'm liking it. Only think that concerns me about the Sennheiser is that the design reminds me very much of the Goldring DR150 I had which eventually died because the headband cracked more than I could repair it. I'm assuming thought that the Sennheiser are better made?

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #13 of 22
I've amended the possibles,

Bang & Olufsen H6 £180
Fostex T50RP Mk3N £175 with Shure 1540 pads
Beyerdynamic DT880 Manufaktur 250ohm £180

These are likely to be the price range I'm looking at.

Meze 99 Classics £279
Oppo PM-3 £349 (These may be a little to soft sounding for my liking from what I've read)
Shure SRH1540 £399
Hifiman HE400i £339
Sennheiser HD650 (or HD600?) (both about £320 in UK)

One thing I'm also wondering is, if budget stretches to the upper range would I be better getting phones from the lower range and a great Dac like the Odac or Modi rather than the current Fiio E10K (just used as a Dac)

Jul 11, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #14 of 22
As I own both the Beoplay H6 and the Meze 99 Neo, I have to say that if I could only keep one of the two it would be the Meze. I only chose the Neo over the Classic because I wanted the all black and silver look plus my husband already has a Classic and we try to not have duplicates. We can always borrow from each other but we tend not to. The only ones on your list that I have not heard are the Oppo. All the others are very good each with its own strengths. However I have put the Brainwavz hybrid pads on my Fostex t50rp mk3 and the comfort improved immensely and I think the sound might also have improved some but I cannot be sure. At least I know that the pad change did not hurt or ruin the sound. Very enjoyable now... but again, if I had to chose between them and the Meze... the Meze would win. As for the Beyers, if I had to choose between my 880s (250ohm) and my Amirons, I would keep the Amirons but they are more expensive. I did get a great deal on them a few weeks ago when Amazon and Bax both had them for £400. But.... I have a feeling I would still choose the Mezes out of all the ones on your list.But then I already have Sennheiser HD598SE, AKG702, Fostex 500 and ZMF Vibros among others so I have a lot of bases covered...

Jul 11, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #15 of 22
Two days ago I would have said no Sennheiser. However, I've recently got a new Amp (SMSL SAP II Pro) which is a little warmer sounding than my other amp (Little Dot I+ with Mullard CV4010 valves and LT1364 OpAmp) and I'm liking it. Only think that concerns me about the Sennheiser is that the design reminds me very much of the Goldring DR150 I had which eventually died because the headband cracked more than I could repair it. I'm assuming thought that the Sennheiser are better made?
I haven't heard the Goldring, but looking at the pictures of it, it looks like the HD650 may be a more robust design. I am rather gentle with mine, just generally. But I personally have had no issues with my HD650 headband. It feels solid to me and I have not personally read about headband failures being common with this headphone. In fact, I don't think I have heard of it happening at all. That's just me and YMMV, of course. Nice headphone, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back