replacing Hippo VB.. suggestions
Mar 15, 2012 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

b-rad

New Head-Fier
greetings all. i'm in the market for another pair of IEM's and would like some suggestions from those in the know. my first pair of phones were the fischer audio eterna rev.2. loved them but the dog chewed them up while i wasnt looking
mad.gif

second pair were the Hippo VB. BEST HEADPHONES i've ever had. fell in love immediately. i never realized how much detail i was missing in the music i listen to. i use the 2dot caps on them, and comply foam tips. quite pleased with the bass/mids but thinking i might like to have a bit more sparkle up top. dont mind spending up to $100 bucks but would like something "better". possibly with more detail (hope that makes sense)
unfortunately im replacing these because the cable relieve started coming apart near the L-plug and the right headphone stopped working. i was able to peel back the insulation to see the red wire was severed. i have actually rigged it to work, for the time being, with some solder but idk how long it's going to last. i've had these for 2ish years and i wear them under my motorcycle helmet most of the time. i have tinnitus, and they serve as entertainment on trips, and to keep the ringing out of my ears. the wind buffeting is horrible on a long ride.

would a dual armature phone produce better sound? as i said, i'm quite pleased with the VB, and am very tempted to purchase another pair. i just want to make sure i havent missed anything since i purchased them a few years ago. i know new products are released frequently and im sure better quality can be had for around the same price by now.
for reference, i listen to 80s, classic rock, new wave, electronic/trance, rock, acoustic, jazz.. whatever floats my boat. i dont consider myself a "basshead" but i do like to hear the full spectrum of sound.
appreciate any and all suggestions in advance. sorry for the long winded post.

b-rad

Mar 15, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #2 of 4
THe Panasonic HJE900, Etymotic HF5 are recommmended and HF5 sound great with very detailed midrange, extended highs and good bass response.

Mar 16, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #3 of 4
I also have the Hippo VB. Very deep, good sounding IEMs.

I do not want to comment on dual armature IEMs since I don't currently have one. But I'm now interested in buying a Brainwavz B2.

Are you looking for an upgrade from the Hippo VB?

Mar 16, 2012 at 7:26 AM Post #4 of 4
I will look up the models mentioned. I'm very tempted just to purchase another pair of VB because I enjoy them so well. If I do purchase something else, I do want it to be better

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back