Replacing broken Equipment. Need recommendations :)
Jan 5, 2017 at 11:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

neil.belt

New Head-Fier
Hello everybody.  I have recently fried my AKG 702 and my RE0 phones because my Headroom Micro Amp was toast and I didn't know it was going to destroy my headphones when I connected them :frowning2:   I will likely find a replacement driver for the AKG (please point me in the direction of a video on replacing the driver), but also buy some Sennheiser HD 650 phones if they are still a good standard for something more inclined to play rap/pop and keep (repair) the AKG for my classical music.  I want to know a few things if anybody can help.  First, can I find a replacement earbud to splice in and keep using my RE0 iems?  What is a good sub $150 iem that I can drive with my iphone and still enjoy if I can't replace the RE0?  I will likely replace my phone with an LG V10 or V20 by the way, so maybe something slightly more difficult to drive would work as well.  I'm thinking in the 65-150 ohm range.  Second.  What is a really fantastic desktop amp under $200?  I don't mind getting used equipment either, something that is 3-5 years old that still rocks and is made well will be very good for me.  As a reference, I was happy with the output of the Headroom Micro amp, but I have an ibasso Cobra d10 portable amp that I don't feel can power the AKG's well enough.  Third, am I on the right track with the HD 650 still?  I'm still thinking of the phones that were popular when I bought my equipment a while ago, but I know that these are all still quality phones.  I know that I was interested in a pair of denon headphones at the time also but I can't remember which ones.  (AH D2000 I think....)  I'm still set as far as DAC's go, but a combo dac/amp is fine as well. Thank you all for your help and I'm sure I'll be picking up some new equipment on the for sale forum soon. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.belt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First, can I find a replacement earbud to splice in and keep using my RE0 iems? 

Not sure what you mean - if you fried them you can't just "splice" the cables or whatever to Mary Shelley the RE0 back to life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.belt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is a good sub $150 iem that I can drive with my iphone and still enjoy if I can't replace the RE0?

Look into the Fender DXA-1.

Quote:
I will likely replace my phone with an LG V10 or V20 by the way, so maybe something slightly more difficult to drive would work as well.  I'm thinking in the 65-150 ohm range

It's easier to find 16ohm to 32ohm headphones with higher than the RE0's 100dB sensitivity actually; while higher impedance IEMs exist the sensitivity is also likely higher. Don't forget to consider ergonomics too since an IEM isn't going to be any good if you don't like wearing them.

Quote:
Second.  What is a really fantastic desktop amp under $200?  

Schiit Vali2 or Magni2 Uber, JDS Labs O2.

If you really want to go cheap, there's the Pangea HP101 for $80 on Amazon. I use it as my back up amp. USB DAC does 24/96khz with Android.

Quote:
I don't mind getting used equipment either, something that is 3-5 years old that still rocks and is made well will be very good for me. As a reference, I was happy with the output of the Headroom Micro amp, but I have an ibasso Cobra d10 portable amp that I don't feel can power the AKG's well enough. 

If you can find practically any Meier Corda desktop amp for that kind of money then go for it.

Quote:

I'm still set as far as DAC's go, but a combo dac/amp is fine as well. 

Try to see if you can find an AudioGD NFB-15, NFB-12, or NFB-11. Or just get an O2+ODAC.

Quote:

Third, am I on the right track with the HD 650 still?  I'm still thinking of the phones that were popular when I bought my equipment a while ago, but I know that these are all still quality phones. 

Some headphones have come out that are technically superior in one way but not in other ways. The HE400i is flatter from 1000hz all the way down to 10hz, but has a massive dip in the midrange. Granted, that's where human hearing has some bias, so it's not like you can't hear the vocals clearly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back