replacing 3.5mm plug
Nov 18, 2008 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jonathanjong

Headphoneus Supremus
So, I woke up this morning to find that I had lost the left channel on my AKG K26P. Jiggling the plug seemed to make it better and so I'm guessing that that needs replacing. At least I think that's the first thing I should try before replacing the entire cable. Anyway, I've read some stuff here, including the chris metcalfe link, but I don't have easy access to a soldering iron. Also, I had an idea which might be less technically involving. Here goes:

Can I cut the plug off my old sennheiser hd201 and cut the plug off my akgs, then just join the 201 plug to the akg cable? I should still solder it, I imagine, but at least it's just joining two wires together.

What say you DIY gurus?

Nov 18, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #2 of 5
Uhm... just buy a Neutrik NYS231 for $2 and solder it on.
wink.gif
You're kind of far so it might take a while and might be a lot faster local, but if you want one shipped from here, PM me your address and I'll drop one in the mail for you tomorrow.

Nov 19, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #4 of 5
Update: So, I went ahead and cut the plug off my AKG K26Ps, and stripped some of the rubber off and found that the wires inside looked odd to me. There are the expected thin copper wires, but the copper was surrounding what looks like red cloth-like material, which in turn surrounded some white fibres. Neither the red nor the white look metallic. Any idea what's going on?

Update 2: Turn out that the wires in the two rubber sleeves differ. In one sleeve, there's copper > red > white I mentioned, but in the other it's copper > more copper > white. So, no red.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back