Replacement's for my Ultrasone's
Mar 6, 2010 at 12:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Bizong

Head-Fier
First things first my current setup: Asus xonar stx and Ultrasone Hfi 550's (amp will come in about a month so factor that in). The main reason for replacing these headphones is comfort. I wear my headphones for sometimes up to 10 hours, and the ultrasone's become very uncomfortable even with sticking a power cord thick wire in between the pads and the drivers. The main reason for the uncomfort is I wear glasses and also have sort of big ears i guess, so my ears touch the drivers and after a while my ears get some scabs over them.

I really like the audio of my 550's and would probably love the 780's or any other ultrasone but I cannot stay with the product line due to comfort. I mainly listen to Heavy Metal and Trance. I liked the bass the ultrasones brought, could probably use a little more but nothing overpowering of the music. I love vocal trance so when bass overpowers vocal clarity it becomes an issue, for example. For these specifications It sounds like I'm going to be paying a hefty penny for my new headphones which is fine. I would appreciate it not being over 500 though.

I realize I do not have an amp but I will be getting one very soon after the headphones I just need the headphones first so i can stop having my ears bleed (literally).

Mar 6, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #3 of 18
You should take a look at the denon d5000/d7000. I find mine more comfortable than the regular ultrasone.

Mar 6, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #4 of 18
I was checking out the d5000 but more looking at the Markl Modded version for the expanded ear pads which would eliminate a lot of the issue of ear to driver contact. How do they fair with trance and heavy metal?

Mar 6, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #5 of 18
Sorry to hear that. I've heard some very good things about the Sony MDR-SA5000 in regards to trance.

Mar 6, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #6 of 18
Have you tried wearing the scalms above the ear pads? None of my headphones I can wear my glasses normally with. But even the huge DX 1000 works excellent with the scalms above the ear pads.

Otherwise you would have to find very light headphones with absolutely no clamping force. German Maestro comes to mind but it affect the audio in a bad way having scalms in between as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #7 of 18
even with no glasses on their still uncomfortable after a long period of time, i really need to get contacts, or lasik. What are scalm's exactly, I'm assuming its the part around your ears and then how would you get that above the headphones lol, when i try that my glasses point almost straight down.

Mar 7, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #8 of 18
I would probably say go for the Denon MD5000 (maybe with Jmoney earpads). I own the ALO-780 and find it's great for both those genre's (probably the only two I can listen to without getting bored or annoyed). The clamping force isnt bad after you get used to it, but the headband can start hurting after a while. The PRO 750 would be a better choice IMO. Still, if you want to go in a different direction, I would take a look at the Denon D5000.

Mar 7, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #9 of 18
Yeah I know i would really like the higher end Ultrasones but I really need to get away from closed headphones since i wear them for such long hours at a time. I'm really leaning towards the MD5000 right now. Little bit over my budget but i can just wait another pay check.

I need some more comments on the MD5000's comfort if possible it looks like it would be very comfortable but just want to make sure.

Mar 7, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #10 of 18
The MD5000 are closed cans, but they sit so lightly on your head, they leak a lot of sound out, thus they are very comfortable.

Mar 7, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by angle_sh00ter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol talk about blanket statements...

Yes, considering many people hate the clamping force of the HD600/HD650 (I think they were). So far from reading threads, Beyerdynamic (DT770,880,990) are the most comfortable. Denons are probably very close.

Mar 7, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
even with no glasses on their still uncomfortable after a long period of time, i really need to get contacts, or lasik. What are scalm's exactly, I'm assuming its the part around your ears and then how would you get that above the headphones lol, when i try that my glasses point almost straight down.

My glassespoint down in a 50 degree angle at most. I can still see
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back