Replacement tube's question
Mar 16, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #31 of 47
DO NOT use a 6SN7 tube on this amp. I just fried the amp. Took one for the team. I contacted the director complaing to them and I told them that they literally told me it should be ok to use the tube. I'm so mad right now. They better replace this one for me for free. Honestly, how can you be the director and not know a question like that and then have someone else fry your own amp because you told them it "should be ok".

I really hope they put that down in the amp specs (since there's hardly any specs on it to begin with) about the amp NOT using a 6.3v heater.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #32 of 47
DO NOT use a 6SN7 tube on this amp. I just fried the amp. Took one for the team. I contacted the director complaing to them and I told them that they literally told me it should be ok to use the tube. I'm so mad mad right now. They better replace this one for me for free. Honestly, how can you be the director and not know a question like that and then have someone else fry your own amp because you told them it "should be ok".

I really hope they put that down in the amp specs (since there's hardly any specs on it to begin with) about the amp NOT using a 6.3v heater.
That's bad news I hope they sort it for you. I've looked everywhere and there is nothing on this amp anywhere but you would expect the seller to know a thing or two about it. I will stick with the 12bh7 in there.

Mar 16, 2023 at 9:53 PM Post #33 of 47
Yeah, it's pathetic and makes me question why I trusted them. It will be interesting what they say about this. The amp is out of stock so I don't see how they would replace the amp even if they were willing to. I'll be back with another update on what they tell me.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2023 at 3:24 AM Post #34 of 47
Update: It works! So after I tried the 6SN7 tube, I went back to try the stock EH 12au7 tube that the amp came with. I turn on the amp and the tube glows for like 3 seconds but then it burns out. I get no volume coming from the amp. I swapped to a different 12au7 tube just to see what happens, and that one stays lit and I get volume.

I don't know why or how this happened, but it seems to work I guess? I'm only down to one 12au7 tube, so I'm going to order another one I think and see if that one will stay lit also.

Maybe the EH 12au7 tube was just a bad tube. No idea. But like I said, I get volume from the other 12au7 tube I tried and it stays lit and the glow doesn't burn out.

Anyway, this was the first time I got to try out the amp and it sounds amazing! Wow! It literally made my hair stand up not gonna lie. So much more of a lush/warm and tubey sound compared to the Vali 2++. I'm very impressed with this amp so far. Only real negative thing I have to say about the amp is the blinding red light on it.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2023 at 4:24 AM Post #35 of 47
I'm glad it is working. I had the same issue with the 12bh7 being damaged in transit and they replaced it straight away and I was up and running in a couple of days. The only other issue I've had is with a ecc82 Westinghouse tube that should have been ok but blew as soon as I turned the amp on. Don't know if it was a bad tube or not but now I will stick with the 12au7 that I have had no problems with. What 12bh7 are you using as a replacement for the Electro Hormonix. I put my set of EH in and gave them a try and i like the 12bh7 but still preferred the Sylvania 12au7 up front. As you say the amp has what I would say is an almost liquid sound to it. It is a lovely sounding amp. It's interesting to be having a conversation with someone else who owns one as there doesn't seem to be many around and as you say there's literally no information on it anywhere just a few reviews.

Mar 18, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #36 of 47
Update: It works! So after I tried the 6SN7 tube, I went back to try the stock EH 12au7 tube that the amp came with. I turn on the amp and the tube glows for like 3 seconds but then it burns out. I get no volume coming from the amp. I swapped to a different 12au7 tube just to see what happens, and that one stays lit and I get volume.

I don't know why or how this happened, but it seems to work I guess? I'm only down to one 12au7 tube, so I'm going to order another one I think and see if that one will stay lit also.

Maybe the EH 12au7 tube was just a bad tube. No idea. But like I said, I get volume from the other 12au7 tube I tried and it stays lit and the glow doesn't burn out.

Anyway, this was the first time I got to try out the amp and it sounds amazing! Wow! It literally made my hair stand up not gonna lie. So much more of a lush/warm and tubey sound compared to the Vali 2++. I'm very impressed with this amp so far. Only real negative thing I have to say about the amp is the blinding red light on it.
I forgot to put my comment as a reply to you.

Martin

Mar 18, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #37 of 47
I'm glad it is working. I had the same issue with the 12bh7 being damaged in transit and they replaced it straight away and I was up and running in a couple of days. The only other issue I've had is with a ecc82 Westinghouse tube that should have been ok but blew as soon as I turned the amp on. Don't know if it was a bad tube or not but now I will stick with the 12au7 that I have had no problems with. What 12bh7 are you using as a replacement for the Electro Hormonix. I put my set of EH in and gave them a try and i like the 12bh7 but still preferred the Sylvania 12au7 up front. As you say the amp has what I would say is an almost liquid sound to it. It is a lovely sounding amp. It's interesting to be having a conversation with someone else who owns one as there doesn't seem to be many around and as you say there's literally no information on it anywhere just a few reviews.
I currently have the EH 12bh7 tube in and a vintage Sylvania 12au7. I need to get more 12au7 tubes though as that's now the only one I have since the EH 12au7 one doesn't work apparently. I've been looking into the Genalex Gold Lion ECC82 or looking on classifieds page to see what's there.

I still really want to use the 6sn7 tube on the amp because I guess it apparently didn't fry the amp obviously since it still works. However, it does worry me using the 6sn7 tube again on the amp a little since the director or no one else seems to be positive if it can be used safely. Almost seems like a better safe than sorry situation really.

Yeah, if they sold the Helot in the US, I'm sure it would get talked about more. It's just kind of limited who can use the amp because of that. I've been wating to start a Spartan Helot 2x thread here. I wonder how many people would post there.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #38 of 47
I currently have the EH 12bh7 tube in and a vintage Sylvania 12au7. I need to get more 12au7 tubes though as that's now the only one I have since the EH 12au7 one doesn't work apparently. I've been looking into the Genalex Gold Lion ECC82 or looking on classifieds page to see what's there.

I still really want to use the 6sn7 tube on the amp because I guess it apparently didn't fry the amp obviously since it still works. However, it does worry me using the 6sn7 tube again on the amp a little since the director or no one else seems to be positive if it can be used safely. Almost seems like a better safe than sorry situation really.

Yeah, if they sold the Helot in the US, I'm sure it would get talked about more. It's just kind of limited who can use the amp because of that. I've been wating to start a Spartan Helot 2x thread here. I wonder how many people would post there.
It sounds like it would be a bit of a risk trying to use the 6sn7 in it. It's a pity as it would have made a nice option. I'm sure people would be interested in a dedicated thread as it's a interesting little amp and there's a fair few members on here from the UK and Europe.

Mar 18, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #40 of 47
Your biggest potential for trouble going from 12au7 to 6sn7 is overloading the transformer as 6sn7 has double the current draw
Right. Ik that the 6sn7 needs 600ma compared to the 300ma for the 12au7. I used a 6sn7 tube on the Vali and it worked fine. The Vali used 5670 tubes which also use 300ma of power. The problem is idk if this amp runs a center tap 6.3v or 12.6v. If it ran at 6.3v it would be fine to use. The 6sn7 to 12au7 adapter that I have also stated in the description "your device must me configured to use center the tap of of an 12au7 tube and work at 6.3v to work properly". Honestly idk if I'm going to take the risk in trying the 6sn7 tube out again since I'm not positive and don't want to fry anything.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #44 of 47
Update (again): I have figured out that the Helot runs 6.3v heaters. In that diagram I posted, if you follow the wire on pins 4, 5, and 9, they all go up to where it says 6.35. That would mean the Helot uses 6.3v heaters. I didn't even see those numbers until I looked at the diagram again. Wish I would've looked at that diagram again before spending several hours looking at other information trying to see if I could find anything.

I put the 6sn7 tube in the amp again for several minutes. No problems. Went back and put a 12au7 tube in just to be sure everything is fine, and no problem also. Looks like the Helot can handle it! So feel free to get some 6sn7 tubes if you wish!

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #45 of 47
Update (again): I have figured out that the Helot runs 6.3v heaters. In that diagram I posted, if you follow the wire on pins 4, 5, and 9, they all go up to where it says 6.35. That would mean the Helot uses 6.3v heaters. I didn't even see those numbers until I looked at the diagram again. Wish I would've looked at that diagram again before spending several hours looking at other information trying to see if I could find anything.

I put the 6sn7 tube in the amp again for several minutes. No problems. Went back and put a 12au7 tube in just to be sure everything is fine, and no problem also. Looks like the Helot can handle it! So feel free to get some 6sn7 tubes if you wish!
Thank you for the update that's good to now It gives a nice alternative. I wonder what caused the problem with the first try. Glad you sorted it though :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back