Replacement tips for the Etymotic Research MC5?
Aug 21, 2012 at 12:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

uhhuhh

New Head-Fier
Hi there!

First off, I would like to tell you that I'm from Sweden so my english is not as good as I would like it to be, but I hope you will be able to understand me anyway.

Well then. I just bought a pair of the MC5:s, mainly to be used when i exercise outdoors (which of course causes me to sweat) when raining, snowing, in cold and warm weather, and so on. My main IEM:s are a little bit to expensive to use in rough conditions.

The problem is that I'm not able to find a really good fit in my ears with any of the 4 different tips that was included in the packaging.

My question is now that if someone can recommend any other tips from a different brand that would fit the MC5:s?

I would prefer to buy these from Sweden or the EU, since I have to pay for customs and taxes when ordering from the United States, or any other country outside the EU, but if this is not possible I can buy them from any country.

Thanks in advance, "uhhuhh".

Aug 21, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #2 of 13
Try Klipsch oval tips. I've heard many people using them on their Etys with good results. Very comfortable.

http://www.klipsch.com/parts

Aug 21, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #3 of 13
Are the Ety tips too big or too small for you?  If they feel too big, I would encourage you to keep using the 3-flange tips, trying to extend your time with them in by 10-15 minutes each time you use them -- it takes some time to get used to the deeper insertion.  But they will give you the best isolation, and good secure seating.

If they are too small for your ears, then yes, you will need to find larger ear tips.  Any tips that fit Shure newer models or Westone, will also fit on the MC5.  A lot of people here use the black foam Shure tips (aka "Olives"), but they will be a very tight fit on the MC5 -- its nozzle is a bit bigger than the other Ety nozzles (or at least it was 2 yrs ago when I had the MC5).

BTW, your English is better than that of many people in the USA!

Aug 21, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #4 of 13
I never had a problem with the deep insertion of my HF5. Also after a while the clear triple flanges that I've been using became much softer and more comfortable. The way you insert them also plays a role. They should slide in fairly easily. 

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #5 of 13
Hi again!

Thanks for all your help, suggestions, and kind words. :)

My problem with the included tips is that they are a bit too small for my ears and I can't get that really tight/snug fit which, according to me, is required to be able to enjoy my music to it's full potential.

Actually I found a local dealer that sells accessories to various products from Klipsch (couldn't find any of the other brands that you suggested), and I ordered the Oval tips (Large), and hopefully they will fit as I like them to.

Thanks all Head-fi:ers! :)

Aug 22, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #6 of 13
Hope the Klipsch ovals work for you.  Larger ear canals are harder to fit -- you just want to make sure the tip goes in deep enough to completely mold to the shape of your ear canal in order to get a complete seal (thus good bass response).  That's why many people prefer the large foam tips because the foam molds to and fills the shape of the ear canal perfectly.

Aug 23, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #7 of 13
Hi again!

A quick update - I've cancelled the order on the Klipsch Ovals. Why? Let me share my last night experience with the Etymotic original tips.

Last night I just couldn't fall asleep, so I decided to listen to music, as always. I don't really know why, but I wanted to give the Large Tri-Flanges one last chance. I started watching different videos on how to insert them the right way. Unfortunately they didn't help me that much. My next step was to try to get the proper insertion and fit my in my own way. I started pulling my ears up and down. To the left and the right. After about 25 to 30 different insertions I suddenly got a PERFECT fit. Now, 10 out of 10 times, I get a, "pardon my english", f-ing amazing fit! The music sounds sooooo damn good now! :D

I just wanted to share my experience with the tips that wouldn't fit my ears, but suddenly did. :)

Thanks for all your help and your suggestions! :wink:

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #8 of 13
Awesome. Sometimes it's just trial and error. I put mine in a little differently than the video above, as well. Once you got it, you got it.

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #9 of 13
Glad you got a good fit.  Now that you've figured it out, it will become almost natural to do it the same way each time to easily get a good fit.  Those stock gray-ish 3-flange tips will soften a bit as they absorb just a little bit of ear wax.  You can remove them and wash them of course, but they do soften a bit.  And some saliva will help them not get stuck while putting them in.

Mar 2, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #10 of 13
This is definitely a problem with the MC5s. I've tried several brands of replacements, including Ety's own ER38-18, and all of them are smaller than the original large, 3-flange tips that come with the MC5s. The opening at the ear canal end is also smaller. I have even resorted to stretching the replacement tips using a domed rubber "foot" (the type that is adhesive backed, intended to keep items from sliding) and a tapered "spike" fashioned from a plastic stick. Less than stellar results with that one.

I currently have a customer service request in to Etymotic asking about this issue. I'll share my results.

Apr 17, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #11 of 13
Well, Ety responded promptly when I emailed them about the difference in size between the original large tri-flanges and the suggested replacement, the ER38-18. They suggested that I try the ER38-18CL which are "the same diameter, but have a slightly longer stem which can make it easier to get a seal with the larger housing of the mc5". They even shipped me a set for free! Unfortunately this didn't solve my problem. The smaller-diameter tips just can't provide a complete seal like the originals. I've tried the foam tips in the meantime, but they really aren't as comfortable for me, and don't provide the same isolation as the tri-flanges (which, per the OP,  makes all the difference in the world with these IEMs).

My next step is to try the Klipsch ovals, but I'm a bit unsure about whether the double or single-flange tips are best for larger ear canals like mine. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Jul 19, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #12 of 13
You need to try Comply Foam tips! Check out our website... www.complyfoam.com  Nobody's replacement tips are superior to these......
Shoot me an email at customer@complyfoam.com and I'll get ya taken care of!

Breanna @ComplyFoam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back