Replacement IEM for my Klipsch Image S4?
Jun 2, 2014 at 2:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

drizzit

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

First of all, im pretty new in this audio area especially IEMs. My previous IEM is Klipsch Image S4. Im looking for replacement since i lost it. Anyway, i love my KIS4 since as in my opinion it gave out clarity that i love. I generally listen to country, orchestral and female singer. I did some research and found out these two probably fit my requirements and budget which are HiFiMAN RE-400 and Etymotic Research HF5I wont go any more than $150 budget. So, any recommendation or ideas about what should i pick would be great. Thanks.

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #2 of 10
Those will sound considerably different than your S4's. The SE215's are right under 100 and sound better than the S4's in my opinion. Plus they sound quite similar if you are into the S4. 

Jun 4, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #3 of 10
I think that both RE-400 and HF5 are quite a good choice. I would also recommend you at least to check up these three IEMs: Ostry KC06 (and newer and probably slightly better KC06A version), Zero Audio Carbo Tenore, Havi B3 Pro (old version). All of these are around $60 and they are highly praised at this price point. I personally have both S4 and KC06 and I must say that KC06 is definitely a step up over S4 in sound quality (KC06 is flatter, clearer, more detailed). I dare to say that you won't probably find much better IEMs even in the $100 - $150 bracket.

Jun 5, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #4 of 10
  Those will sound considerably different than your S4's. The SE215's are right under 100 and sound better than the S4's in my opinion. Plus they sound quite similar if you are into the S4. 

SE215 was in my consideration list but once i surveyed the price in my country, i had to cut it out. Kind weird, the price kinda on par with HF5 or RE-400.

I think that both RE-400 and HF5 are quite a good choice. I would also recommend you at least to check up these three IEMs: Ostry KC06 (and newer and probably slightly better KC06A version), Zero Audio Carbo Tenore, Havi B3 Pro (old version). All of these are around $60 and they are highly praised at this price point. I personally have both S4 and KC06 and I must say that KC06 is definitely a step up over S4 in sound quality (KC06 is flatter, clearer, more detailed). I dare to say that you won't probably find much better IEMs even in the $100 - $150 bracket.

To be frank, i couldnt test all these 3 IEMs that you recommended since I cant seem to find it anywhere here in my country. From the review alone, the Ostry KC06 is promising IEM. Especially on mid, some say rival to RE-400. All those IEMs have good review for their given price. I just wondered if these RE-400 and HF5 worth the price and quality over those 3 IEMs that you recommended? 

I just found out that Vsonic GR07 could be the IEM that Im looking for. Urgh! So many good IEMs. Kinda dilemma, which one i should choose. 

Jun 6, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #5 of 10
  To be frank, i couldnt test all these 3 IEMs that you recommended since I cant seem to find it anywhere here in my country. From the review alone, the Ostry KC06 is promising IEM. Especially on mid, some say rival to RE-400. All those IEMs have good review for their given price. I just wondered if these RE-400 and HF5 worth the price and quality over those 3 IEMs that you recommended?

I just found out that Vsonic GR07 could be the IEM that Im looking for. Urgh! So many good IEMs. Kinda dilemma, which one i should choose.

Well those 3 IEMs can't be bought in my country too. I had to order KC06 on ebay. I can't compare either of RE-400 and HF5 since I haven't heard them. I can only imagine how good they are from what I've seen here. I think that all those five IEMs should be in the same league, each having little bit different signature (and probably quite a lot different when compared to somewhat bass heavy S4). But I still believe that both RE-400 and HF5 are great for their asking price.

Yeah I agree that it's really hard decision. GR07 should be also a very good choice. Few months earlier I was deciding which IEM to choose from this list: KC06, RE-400, VC-1000, MA750, Rockit R50, VSDS1, AX35, HAVI B3 (old), Tenore. In that time KC06 was so heavily hyped that I just had to order it
smile.gif

Jun 6, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #6 of 10
  Well those 3 IEMs can't be bought in my country too. I had to order KC06 on ebay. I can't compare either of RE-400 and HF5 since I haven't heard them. I can only imagine how good they are from what I've seen here. I think that all those five IEMs should be in the same league, each having little bit different signature (and probably quite a lot different when compared to somewhat bass heavy S4). But I still believe that both RE-400 and HF5 are great for their asking price.

Yeah I agree that it's really hard decision. GR07 should be also a very good choice. Few months earlier I was deciding which IEM to choose from this list: KC06, RE-400, VC-1000, MA750, Rockit R50, VSDS1, AX35, HAVI B3 (old), Tenore. In that time KC06 was so heavily hyped that I just had to order it
smile.gif

I end up bought two of them (GR07 and KC06). I cant pick which one. So i just cross fingers and bought both. :p

Hopefully, those 2 have different sound signature. But both are from chinese company(correct me if im wrong). It would be waste if sound similar. Anyway, thanks for all of you for recommendation and tips. Appreciated it.  

Jun 6, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #7 of 10

I end up bought two of them (GR07 and KC06). I cant pick which one. So i just cross fingers and bought both. :p

Hopefully, those 2 have different sound signature. But both are from chinese company(correct me if im wrong). It would be waste if sound similar. Anyway, thanks for all of you for recommendation and tips. Appreciated it.  

I hope you will enjoy them. Both are chinese but from different companies so it doesn't mean anything. I wonder if the sound of the more expensive GR07 will be worth it's price for you when compared to the KC06.

Jun 6, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #8 of 10
  I hope you will enjoy them. Both are chinese but from different companies so it doesn't mean anything. I wonder if the sound of the more expensive GR07 will be worth it's price for you when compared to the KC06.

I got my GR07 Bass Edition today. Pretty fast. Overall bundles and quality, im impress. They look definitely better than photo. Im very satisfy with the build quality and design. In term of sound quality, only can say "WoW!". Far away better than my last KI4. You can say, this is what im looking for. GR07 definitely different levels than KI4. Worth every penny. But one thing bugging me is when singer speak 'S' sound. The hissing too much or high, im not sure whats the correct word. 

Im not sure yet about KC06, havent got it yet. Well, probably will take sometimes since bought it thru ebay. But I hope it sound as good as GR07 in its own way.

Feb 27, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #10 of 10
  I know this is old, but the Tenore schools all of these phones in my opinion. They're very cheap on Amazon right now!

Depends on what you're looking for. The GR07 is definitely a significant upgrade over the Zero Audio Tenore in sound quality. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back