Replacement Headphone Suggestions
Sep 14, 2020 at 11:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

gamerk2

New Head-Fier
Here's my conundrum: I'm primarily a PC user who's been using the combination of a Creative Sounblaster Z soundcard with a Audio Technica ATH-M50 (not the M50s) headphones for a while. While I like the headphones, I have a few reasons for wanting to upgrade. And frankly, I'm not entirely sure where I should go with for a replacement.

The primary reasons I want to upgrade are:

1: I'm gaming with my friends (who are primarily Xbox One users) on my PC since crossplay is a thing now. Currently, I'm using a PlayStation Wireless Gold as a stop-gap measure. I'd like to be able to take advantage of my PC soundcard; it's there for a reason. I'm aware I can get a stand-alone microphone as well, but since I'm looking to replace my headphones anyway a headset is more convenient.

2: I find the ATH-M50 isn't comfortable over long sessions. The main problem is the headphones drill the back of my glasses into my skull. I'd prefer something with a little less head clamp, preferably an around-the-ear headset. For reference, the PlayStation Wireless Gold headset fits my head perfectly.

One final note: I literally have about a dozen headsets where due to various incidents have one side not working, ranging from cheap $10 models to much more upscale models (specifically, my BeyerDynamic DT 880's). I beat up my headsets pretty good over time, since when I listen to music I tend to move a lot. It's worth noting, while other headsets barely last me a month or two, my ATH-M50 has lasted almost a decade; that headset has withstood the test of time. I'd prefer something that won't break the first time I yank the cord on it.

Basically, I want a relatively well built headset that is at least as good as the ATH-M50 when it comes to listening to music, that is comfortable for long sessions. Any suggestions?

Sep 14, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #2 of 7
HD 25 but not everybody finds them comfortable. They'll take a beating and every part is available separately so they will live forever.

They are secure on the head, can scale mightily, and sound great without needing much amp.

Sep 14, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #3 of 7
yeah if you don't need mic HD25 a good choice. can run over with car and will survive

but if you do want mic Sennheiser GSP500 a better choice, since hd25 has no mic. I have pretty large head and at max size gsp500 fits well: https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-GSP-500-Acoustic-Headset/dp/B07CK4J1SW
GSP500 also will be able to hear yourself talk better when on mic since its open back

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 7
yeah if you don't need mic HD25 a good choice. can run over with car and will survive

but if you do want mic Sennheiser GSP500 a better choice, since hd25 has no mic. I have pretty large head and at max size gsp500 fits well: https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-GSP-500-Acoustic-Headset/dp/B07CK4J1SW
GSP500 also will be able to hear yourself talk better when on mic since its open back

I ultimately went with the GSP500's; they should be arriving on Thursday. Thanks for the recommendation.

Sep 16, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #5 of 7
Build quality aside, surprised that no one strolled in and suggested the AKG K371?

Given your history, it might be worth buying a soldering kit and learning how to re-solder whatever you've yanked out of place in the Beyers.

Sep 16, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #6 of 7
Build quality aside, surprised that no one strolled in and suggested the AKG K371?

Given your history, it might be worth buying a soldering kit and learning how to re-solder whatever you've yanked out of place in the Beyers.
He wanted headphones with a mic attached.

Sep 17, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #7 of 7
Headset arrived this afternoon. Like it so far; comfortable, detachable cable is great (note to self: Get an extension). Lows are definitely more pronounced then the ATH-M50; going to take a bit of getting used to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back