Replacement for Sony EX71
Apr 16, 2005 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

LFC_SL

Headphoneus Supremus
After 6-7 months using my EX71's, the right channel blew out! It crackled a bit then went. Searching online it turns out others have experienced a channel going with this model in particular & other Sony's. Great sound but fragile build. Seems Sony knows there is a problem with the driver blowing out.

Anyway so I need a replacement. I have Sennheiser MX500 but feel like a upgrade but can't afford much. My choices are:

Panasonic RPHJE50
Sony MDR-EX81
Philips SBCHN060
Shure E2C
Etymotic ER20
could stretch 2 Etymotic ER6i
or give Sony EX71 one more chance (fits perfectly although bass heavy)

Considered Senn PX100 / PX200 but don't like headband design.
Any opinions welcomed

Apr 16, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 12
i personally really like the ex81 for portable use. they aren't overly bassy like the ex71 but like the ex71, they let in enough sound from your environment so that you're aware. i think ecost has the ex81 for $33 but in white.

btw, the ety er20 are ear plugs and not canalphones.
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2005 at 5:29 PM Post #4 of 12
I'm interested in this thread...

...As much as my heavily burnt in/out EX71s appeal to me, they are now starting to fall apart (the rubber that surrounds the silver backplate thing is perishing / split on one of the drive units, and I know it won't be too long before they just give up completely...

...I'm not interested in full sized cans for commuting, and neither do I want open (Senn MXxxx range etc) in-ears as one thing that really bugs me is people with their iPod earphones cranked up at full volume, so I can hear what they're listening to... and I don't want to be a hypocrite...

...So, i'm after something with a similarily weighty bottom end as a well used (and, there is a marked difference!!) pair of Sonys... and with nice mids... so that rules out all but the most expensive IEMs I think...

...Looking forward to coming back to this thread
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2005 at 5:31 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi
i personally really like the ex81 for portable use. they aren't overly bassy like the ex71 but like the ex71, they let in enough sound from your environment so that you're aware. i think ecost has the ex81 for $33 but in white.

btw, the ety er20 are ear plugs and not canalphones.
biggrin.gif

I'll probably get a pair of ex81s myself. LFC_SL, do you still have packing slip / email / receipt of your ex71 purchase to obtain warranty? I had a pair of EX7 that blew out too. If you're super super tight on money, you won't go wrong with the Panasonics. They might be a little brighter than Sony's according to some, but their overall sound and design competes extremely well with the EX's at $20.

Apr 16, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #7 of 12
Hi LFC_SL

If you are thinking of giving the EX71 "one more chance" you would do better to get the RP-HJE50 which sounds better, is better built and costs less! The other "EX71 class" phones to consider would be the Sharp MD-33 which are deemed to be better.

Unfortunately I haven't heard the others, although (having the ER-4S) I once considered also getting the ER-6i before changing my mind because of its white colour.

Cheers

Apr 16, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #8 of 12
You should always assume that when you spend $30 for something that others spend $1000s on, you're probably buying something of limited reliability
smily_headphones1.gif

Enjoy em while you can, when they break, replace em.

I like my ex71s for what they are, and can't think of a direct replacement (other than the ex81s). Good, decent, easy to drive, easy to listen to disposable headphones. Replace em, then save up for ER4Ps, or UM2s, or whatever good cans float your boat
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2005 at 5:49 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Venro
Does anyone know if these problems exist with the EX81? I just got one.

i didn't have any problems with my first pair for the first 6 months of ownership before my cousin decided that she really liked them and took them. then my gf took my brand new second pair after getting her ipod shuffle.

Apr 16, 2005 at 5:57 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
You should always assume that when you spend $30 for something that others spend $1000s on, you're probably buying something of limited reliability
smily_headphones1.gif

Enjoy em while you can, when they break, replace em.

I like my ex71s for what they are, and can't think of a direct replacement (other than the ex81s). Good, decent, easy to drive, easy to listen to disposable headphones. Replace em, then save up for ER4Ps, or UM2s, or whatever good cans float your boat
smily_headphones1.gif

If only it were that simple. Being a student is expensive
biggrin.gif
Good advice though..

Apr 16, 2005 at 6:07 PM Post #12 of 12
I'd say any headphones you're gonna use with a portable will wear faster than phones you leave at home. I don't think the EX71s are more fragile than other cans, I abuse the hell out of mine and they do ok. I wouldn't treat my more expensive cans as roughly
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back