Replacement for Shure SE420 IEMs for Grado RS2i Fan?
Oct 9, 2012 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Krutsch

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello,

I just finished rooting/updating my Nexus S 4G with Voodoo Sound and, surprise, surprise, now I want new IEMs.

I listen to my lossless CD rips (FLAC) from a modified WD MyBook Live using BubbleUPnP via Wi-Fi at home and the same collection transcoded/uploaded via Google Play when in the office or car (mp3/320).  No music is stored on the phone (although both apps cache recent tracks).

At home, I plug in my Grado RS2i phones and enjoy... in the office, I haul out my Shure SE420 IEMs, but with my new mobile rig, I have a big frown on my face when the music starts.

Stupidly, and on total impulse at Best Buy, I picked up a set of Klipsch S4a IEMs.  For $99.00, I guess they're fine, but with the microphonics issues and the bloated bass I can't see sticking with these for long.

Can anyone recommend a replacement for the Shures?  FWIW, I've seen a number of Head-Fi member's signatures that indicate both Grado and Westone, so I am considering trying a set of Westone W4, but I am nervous about spending 400 on another set of phones.

Thanks in advance for any replies...

Oct 9, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
Hello,

I just finished rooting/updating my Nexus S 4G with Voodoo Sound and, surprise, surprise, now I want new IEMs.

I listen to my lossless CD rips (FLAC) from a modified WD MyBook Live using BubbleUPnP via Wi-Fi at home and the same collection transcoded/uploaded via Google Play when in the office or car (mp3/320).  No music is stored on the phone (although both apps cache recent tracks).

At home, I plug in my Grado RS2i phones and enjoy... in the office, I haul out my Shure SE420 IEMs, but with my new mobile rig, I have a big frown on my face when the music starts.

Stupidly, and on total impulse at Best Buy, I picked up a set of Klipsch S4a IEMs.  For $99.00, I guess they're fine, but with the microphonics issues and the bloated bass I can't see sticking with these for long.

Can anyone recommend a replacement for the Shures?  FWIW, I've seen a number of Head-Fi member's signatures that indicate both Grado and Westone, so I am considering trying a set of Westone W4, but I am nervous about spending 400 on another set of phones.

Thanks in advance for any replies...

The W4s sound NOTHING like Grados. When one member has both the Westones and Grados, it's more likely that they enjoy contrasting sound signatures. Maybe try looking into the newer UE900?

Oct 9, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
The W4s sound NOTHING like Grados. When one member has both the Westones and Grados, it's more likely that they enjoy contrasting sound signatures. Maybe try looking into the newer UE900?

OK, thanks for the tip.  So, (a) do you like/dislike the W4s and (b) have you listened to the UE900s and like/dislike them?

Sounds like you are familiar with the Grado sound, so I am curious as to what IEM you would recommend that you've listened to.

Oct 9, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

OK, thanks for the tip.  So, (a) do you like/dislike the W4s and (b) have you listened to the UE900s and like/dislike them?

Sounds like you are familiar with the Grado sound, so I am curious as to what IEM you would recommend that you've listened to.

The W4s are my main IEMs. So yes, I like them very much. Completely different from any Grado really. Warm, laid-back, with smooth, forward mids, while still remaining balanced vs the energetic and aggressively forward sound of Grados (Have heard sr60i through PS500, and PS1000; I wouldn't know about the RS1/2). The UE900s are relatively new, so I'd imagine not many have tried them yet, including me. Maybe take a look at the appreciation thread for it?  Grado also has their own IEMs, like the GR10. Maybe look into that? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back