Replacement for SHURE SE315

1. halcyon
    I guess I'm a peculiar daily IEM user, compared to most other requesters here. I like universals as opposed to customs (too many details to go into) and I use several different IEMs. I already have a high(er) end set I use that for musical enjoyment in proper situations.

However, my daily IEM driver for gym, biking, calls, podcasts and phone use must fulfil the following requirements:

- Plastic shell (no metals, I live above arctic circle, putting freezing metal into your ear is not nice)
    - non-protruding shell, flush to ears (more comfortable to wear with ear muffs, wool caps, helmets, etc). This also helps vs wind noise when biking (lower wind resistance)
    - Must have a thin nozzle that fits Comply P-series long isolation foam tips. Comply Compatility chart lists the IEMs that fit the P-series (same as 100 Core compatible).
    - MMCX replaceable cables for easy replacement (I go through a cable in 2-4 months, regardless of maker/quality).
    - sturdy, can take a beating
    - sweat resistant (i.e. properly sealed)

Shure SE-series fits the above requirement. My last pair broke, when I stepped on the left IEM and the MMCX cable connector broke insider the IEM MMCX connector (can't remove the bit inside, the IEMs are now useless).

So, I'm looking for a replacement in the below $500USD/500€ price range. This is a daily tool, so it doesn't has to be the absolute pinnacle of musicality, but it has to fulfil the above requirements. I don't want to pay a lot more, because I've already lost a my daily pair of Westones that cost $600 (too expensive to break/lose many pairs of these). I did like the Westone sound a lot though.

I used to love the Phonak Audeo series, but unfortunately they are not made anymore (and had no repleable cable, I went through 3 of those pairs just because the cable broke -- too expensive in the end.)

I've been searching alternatives high and low, but I can't find many.

I guess could just buy a new SE315 pair (150€ locally), or even SE535 (330€ locally), but I wonder if there's anything else out there.

Anybody else in the same or similar boat -- looking for Shure SE -replacement?

2. yong_shun
    SE535 will be a good upgrade - The new packaging will come with Bluetooth cable that give you an option to go for wireless when you are doing active sports outdoor. Could be a good consideration point :)

halcyon likes this.
  3. halcyon
    Thanks! Will consider SE535. I don't really like BT (personal pref), but yeah, better sound would be welcome.

4. halcyon
    How about Westone W30 or UM Pro 30 ? MMCX and fits the Comply P-Series.

How sturdy are the Westone series these days?

5. yong_shun
    UM Pro Series is more analytical while W series is more musical. I would say W30 will have a more similar sound signature to SE535. UM Pro 30 is darker as compared to 2 of them. Both of them are using Comply size 100 foam tips so no worries!

halcyon likes this.
  6. serman005
    You might read about the IT01 and see what you think. I am able to sleep in mine and they are comfy. Would save you some money. This IEM outperforms its price-point in my opinion. Really solid and with a terrific cable.

halcyon and PaganDL like this.
  7. halcyon
    Thanks, had not checked the iBass range.

Do you know if the MMCX connector on IT01 has been fixed? I put in and take out my IEMS daily A LOT, so the MMCX has to be bulletproof (it is on the Shure SE series).

8. serman005
    I don't. I have had zero issues with mine. Connections are secure and snug. I take good care of mine and it seems they are going to last. :) I wonder how well people complaining have cared for theirs??

9. yong_shun
    Could be caused by deeper MMCX port as compared to Shure which is on the surface of the IEM. I faced some difficulties in removing IT04 but after I master the skill then it is a lot easier.

10. halcyon
    Thanks. I don't need IEMs that need taking care of delicately. I need daily beaters that can be tossed in pocket, gym bag, etc. So far Shure's have handled these well (tips, shell, connector). Just replace cable & foam tips as they wear out.

But good to hear IT01 should have no issues with MMCX, thanks!

11. VAS07
    halcyon likes this.
  12. halcyon
    Looks interesting, but for me, this kills it "machined aluminum-magnesium alloy rear shell," I live above the arctic circle. Inserting something metal into your ear when it's -20C cold outside - well, let's just say that I use plastic shell IEMs now ::)

I'm sure they are nice, but not for me.

13. VAS07
    Oh...well...-20C ok I understand. Then your best bet will be with Shure SE535, or Westone W40, umPro30, 1 More Quad driver iem, FiiO F9, RHA T20i, Sennheiser IE80s.

14. heeeraldo
    if you like the SE315s, maybe check to see what out of warranty replacement for the broken earbud would be; my other half stepped on one of my SE535s and it was $92 US to replace the bud instead of $700 CAD to get a new set?