Replacement for Klipsch S4I
Jun 2, 2014 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

longtalltechsan

New Head-Fier
Hello all,
First post here.  I recently got a pair of Klipsch S4i ear phones.  I ordered the S4i II's but they screwed up and sent me the S4i's.  Not a big difference except for the cables.  To compensate me for their mistake, they gave me $20 back.  So I have kept them since the sound is supposed to be the same, with the only difference being the flat cables. 

Anyway, I did about a 40 hour burn in and noticed some difference.  In some places I listen to them, work, home, they sound pretty good and I am happy with them.  However I also wear them when working out and they don't seem loud enough.  I have also put some of the Comply TX100 tips for maximum sound isolation.  They work and I can hardly hear any outside noise.  I'm just not sure I am completely happy with the sound, especially as I would like a little more bass.  I have also run into a few songs where the bass really distorts.  It could be bad rips, but not all that likely.  I'm also not real crazy about what seems to be crappy build quality and they seem really delicate. 

I am considering getting another pair, something $100 or less.  It would also be nice to get some that use the same Comply tips since I bought 2 packages of those and would hate for them to go to waste. 

Right now I am looking at these as replacements:
-Shure SE112
-RHA MA450
-Ety MC3
-Meelectronics A151

Any others I should consider?  I read about the Shure SE215 but have read that they don't have a lot of bass.  I am not hung up on having controls for the apple products, although it would be nice since I typically listen to my iphone or ipod when working out. 

As for the type of music I listen to, I listen to a wide range including classical, country, rap, metal, rock and pretty much everything in between. 

Any other suggestions I should look at?

Thanks in advance.

Jun 2, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #3 of 17
What do you use for your source? I had the S4II for a few years and they get loud to the point of distortion with my iPod's. There is also what looks to be an upgrade to the S4II, the R6. They are about the same price and have better isolation. According the the Klipsch website the S4 has noise isolation of -16, the new R6 have isolation of -22, so they are going to isolate better and sound louder. The R6 is identical in price to the S4 and only came out around March. There's not a lot of information I could find except for a short thread started here on headfi. They're also made of aluminum and something called "elastomer" so probably more durable than plastic S4. I never had an issue with the S4 and they've lasted me a long time, the only thing I've noticed is the cord around the plug is getting lose recently. 

I'm not much of a basshead but these are the three IEM's I'm considering buying purely based on hype and reviews here on headfi: Ostry KC06, Zero Audio ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore or ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso. The Basso is supposed to have a lot of bass and all three are in the price range you're going for. Check out the threads people are really enjoying them.

Jun 2, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #4 of 17
  Have you thought about the Shure SE215

As I stated in the original post, I have considered them but heard they are lacking in bass. 

What do you use for your source? I had the S4II for a few years and they get loud to the point of distortion with my iPod's. There is also what looks to be an upgrade to the S4II, the R6. They are about the same price and have better isolation. According the the Klipsch website the S4 has noise isolation of -16, the new R6 have isolation of -22, so they are going to isolate better and sound louder. The R6 is identical in price to the S4 and only came out around March. There's not a lot of information I could find except for a short thread started here on headfi. They're also made of aluminum and something called "elastomer" so probably more durable than plastic S4. I never had an issue with the S4 and they've lasted me a long time, the only thing I've noticed is the cord around the plug is getting lose recently. 

I'm not much of a basshead but these are the three IEM's I'm considering buying purely based on hype and reviews here on headfi: Ostry KC06, Zero Audio ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore or ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso. The Basso is supposed to have a lot of bass and all three are in the price range you're going for. Check out the threads people are really enjoying them.

My source is equally spread between iphone and laptop. 

I have never heard of these three that you suggest, but I will definitely look into them.  Thanks.

Jun 3, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #5 of 17
Another thing I have noticed about these S4i's is that they can have the bass, however when it gets too strong in the music, it distorts by sounding 'fuzzy' or just decreases b/c the drivers can't handle it.  And its driving me insane. 

Jun 3, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 17

I read about the Shure SE215 but have read that they don't have a lot of bass.

Considering that the SE215 is bassheavy, whoever said that must be into some pretty bloated bass.  I'd reconsider it if I were you.

And if you can afford the SE215, maybe consider the RHA MA-750.  The seal you get with any IEM is gonna be a huge determinant in bass.

Jun 9, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #12 of 17
Hopefully they sound better after burn in. I own CKS1000 and those have monster bass. It hits hard and sounds very nice for rap and trance. JVC FXZ200 is supposedly good also.

Check out this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/651284/the-top-tier-usd-300-bassy-enough-basshead-iem-list/30

Jun 9, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #13 of 17
I got the RHA's tonight. First impression is that mids and highs sound good and crisp but the bass is lacking. I am burning them in so we will see how the develop.

I'd make sure you are getting a good seal before making a decision.  And give them a long listen.  The best way to "burn in" any headphone or IEM is to use for an extended period of time.  It gives you a chance to really understand what they do well, and where they fall short.  In the end, you get a better understanding of what you actually like and what doesn't work at all.

Its a never ending learning and refining process.  Enjoy it, and if it doesn't work out, try something else.

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #14 of 17
I have about 30 hours of burn in now and they are really coming through.  I am really liking them and the bass is getting better and giving me a very nice full sound spectrum of highs and lows.  So far I am very pleased with the purchase.  I am using the foam tips that came with the earphones, but they aren't as, IMO, as the comply tips which I have ordered and should be here in a few days to try. 

The build quality and sound is far and away better than the Klipsch's I had. 

Jun 10, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #15 of 17
That's great news! I'm happy you're enjoying them. I didn't even think of tips as the issue since my ears never have a problem with the seal probably because I mostly use triple flange tips. Also keep in mind you can always increase bass with an amp or player functions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back