Replacement for Grado SR60s
Feb 20, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #16 of 23
225 is mellow sorta. I never heard any " i " versions yet, but i grab my SR80 with yellow 414 senn pads hole-modded, alot more than my 225, even tho the 225 is technically better sounding, but the 80 is more fun.

Youre gonna get a million opinions.

Do you want agressive? Mellow?
Even asking what you listen to means crap, because everyone wants it presented differently anyway.

The better question would be......What did you wish was different about the sound of your 60? What did you like, and what did you wish was improved?
Give us a picture of your perfect sound.
Then people can better suggest a phone.
Also alot of people will suggest what THEY like, over what YOU would want.
Its a common problem with peoples opinions.
Theyre honestly trying to help, but most dont realize theyre pushing their flavour.

So tell us what you like/dont like about the 60s???

Also, for where you live, the Alessandro idea was a good suggestion because of price, but the highs(grado sound) is toned down just a hair.

Feb 21, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #17 of 23
The sound I'm looking for is as if I was in the room with that guitarist , to hear every squeak on the fretboard from Steve Hackett and Jimmy Page etc.
For live music it's as if i was in the front row and a massive Pink Floyd fan so want to hear Gilmour's guitar shine.
So needs to belt out a great guitar solo and hear the bass in the anologue synths( Gary Numan , Depeche Mode )but at the same time be subtle enough for the acoustic pieces I listen to.

Hope I am making sense, I am very close to ordering the 225 s now.

Feb 24, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #18 of 23
A word of caution for people think of buying from a US site from the UK. The prices often don't include shipping , or customs fees etc and the delivery times can be very long. Ages ago I used to buy a lot of DVD's from a site in Canade ( back when R1 discs had much better extras , were released months ahead of us and the exchange rate was in our favour ) but even then I almost always got a card thorugh from the Royal Mail saying that a customs fee was due and I'd have to make a trip down to the sorting office topay and collect - from what I remember it was the same as the VAT rate + a handling charge. Also rememeber that if they go wrong you will be responsible for all shipping costs back to the US etc.

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by gooner265 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sound I'm looking for is as if I was in the room with that guitarist , to hear every squeak on the fretboard from Steve Hackett and Jimmy Page etc.
For live music it's as if i was in the front row and a massive Pink Floyd fan so want to hear Gilmour's guitar shine.
So needs to belt out a great guitar solo and hear the bass in the anologue synths( Gary Numan , Depeche Mode )but at the same time be subtle enough for the acoustic pieces I listen to.

Hope I am making sense, I am very close to ordering the 225 s now.

I would say that 325is's are the ones for you,but you have to get used to hearing the springs sqeaking in Oscar Petersons piano stool,still that wont bother you if you stick to pink floyd..Never mind about front row,these phones put you on stage..IMO
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #20 of 23
Well I settled on th 225is and they have arrived today , so going to burn them in overnight and give them a whirl tomorrow.
icon10.gif

Mar 11, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #22 of 23
I've got a pair of SR60s I've made some modest mods to - no spectacular woodying but a fair amount of damping, removal of the screens and a change of the pads - and I think they're wonderful.

After doing all this, I heard - from somebody on headfi - that the 60i is a definite improvement, much more so than the 80i. I haven't verified the statement for myself, but it's worth looking into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back