Replacement for Grado SR60s
Feb 19, 2010 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

gooner265

New Head-Fier
Well after I blew one of the speakers in my Grados SR60s ( not the i version) I am left without and headphones so am looking for a replacement.

Are the 80s a big jump or I may even consider the sennheiser 650s which seem to be popular and they seem to be durable and able to buy replacement parts but I would prefer not to fork out for an amp as well.

If I am going to part with £200 I want them to last.

Source is arcam dv 139 and avr300.
I listen to lots of prog ( Genesis , Porcupine Tree etc) plus synthy stuff like Gary Numan , Jean Michel Jarre also watch many Music DVDs.

Any help would be welcome

Feb 19, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #2 of 23
While the Sennheiser are incredible headphones, I think you'll need to consider at least a CMoy for them.

cheers!

Feb 19, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #3 of 23
You know you can send them in and get new drivers for like $30, right?

Feb 19, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #4 of 23
Get the new drivers. 80 isnt much different...same phones with different cable and pads.
Senn 650/600 is a totally diff sound. I like both, but you may or may not. If its only $30, then fix what ya got.

Feb 19, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get the new drivers. 80 isnt much different...same phones with different cable and pads.
Senn 650/600 is a totally diff sound. I like both, but you may or may not. If its only $30, then fix what ya got.

I've owned the HD650 and while it drives very low, I found the sound unengaging, even with a quality amp. Why? I think it's the foam in front of the drivers. Bass rumbles through but a lot of the HF sensitivity seems lost. I'm not talking about the dark or veiled highs people speak of. I'm talking about something else, a dynamism in the HF that you feel from the unfiltered Grados.

Feb 19, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #7 of 23
If you're going to consider the HD650, consider the Grado SR225i and SR325is too. I've not heard one bad thing about the SR225i that I don't hear about every other Grado. You should probably try the 325is first if you can because it's more of a love/hate headphone.

Feb 19, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #8 of 23
I was told there was nowhere over here they could be fixed , I'm in England. I did love the sound of the grados for an entry level sound was superb just comfort was a factor. I am seriously considering the 125 and 225s now as I love the Grado sound , If I can get the 60s fixed in England I will and also buy an upgrade .

Feb 20, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #9 of 23
I think I am going to plump for the 225i as they seem to have a great review and good value for price/quality ratio.
Has any British people on here used these suppliers before as they seem to be the cheapest I have found Grado

Also would appreciate if anyone could tell me where I canget my SR 60s fixed as they would make a great second/spare set?

cheers

Feb 20, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by gooner265 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I am going to plump for the 225i as they seem to have a great review and good value for price/quality ratio.
Has any British people on here used these suppliers before as they seem to be the cheapest I have found Grado

If you're going to stick with Grado why not just get an Alessandro MS1? Equivalent to the 125, but only around $100 (65 quid) direct from Alessandro.

Beats paying 200 quid for a phone which is only arguably better by a tad - and having heard the Alessandro range and a few grados, and owning the MS1 and RS2, there's not a lot in it with the prestige range. But here at Head fi an inch is a mile to some.

UK prices for grados suck. Everywhere but US prices suck. Yanks have to appreciate that Grados are only terrific value at home, when dishing out suggestions.

Feb 20, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #11 of 23
x infinity on the SR-225i suggestion.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drubbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're going to stick with Grado why not just get an Alessandro MS1? Equivalent to the 125, but only around $100 (65 quid) direct from Alessandro.

Beats paying 200 quid for a phone which is only arguably better by a tad - and having heard the Alessandro range and a few grados, and owning the MS1 and RS2, there's not a lot in it with the prestige range. But here at Head fi an inch is a mile to some.

UK prices for grados suck. Everywhere but US prices suck. Yanks have to appreciate that Grados are only terrific value at home, when dishing out suggestions.

Good point. Anyone outside the U.S. should stick with Alessandro unless they really like the Grado sound or can get a used one shipped international. Although your post did read as more aggressive than I think you meant.

Feb 20, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #13 of 23
Well the reviews I have read say there's a big difference between 125 and 225 now I'm really confused
confused_face_2.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #15 of 23
If you are looking for a substantial improvement, go with the 225i. When I auditioned the 80i, 125i, and 225i, I found I disliked the 125i the most because its highs were too straining and fatiguing. I can listen to the 225i for hours without fatigue; they are smoother and easier to listen to in my opinion. The 80i is a great headphone, but you won't notice any substantial improvement over the 60 you already own.

If I were you, I would either buy the 225i or fix the 60.

P.S. If you do get the 225i, you should look into a good amp to go along with it; it makes a great headphone even greater.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back