Replacement for Ety 6i's
Apr 25, 2008 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

bfrank1972

New Head-Fier
My Etymotic 6i's are done, one side is crackling and popping (think it's the cable connection inside the earpiece itselve). I thought they were pretty good, but I am looking for something a little better with a bit stronger bass. Looking at:

Ultimate Ears Super Fi Pro - $189
Westone UM2 - $249 (expensive)
Shure E4c - $170
Etymotic ER4p - $170
Westone UM1 - $109 (cheap option)

Want something durable too, I'm a bit disappointed in the 6i's and the fact they are failing now. The UM1's are attractive at the price, is there a big difference between them and the others (and the 6i for that matter)?

Thanks,

Brad

Apr 25, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #2 of 13
I'd go with either Super.fi 5 Pro or the ER4P, depending on your sound preference. I don't a lot of experience with Etymotic, but if my memory serves, the ER4P sounds fuller and has just a tad more bass. If your DAP has good EQ it respond really well including boosting the low end and bringing down the top end.

The q-Jays are reportedly similar to Etymotic sound signature but with more bass, it should be under $200.

Apr 25, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #3 of 13
Hey NavyBlue, thanks for the info, it helped (though you just added one more brand for me to research, curses!!). The more I dig, the more I find - even Klipsch makes in-ear headphones! Confusing to say the least...

I'm using an IPOD Classic (5g) 80gb, which I think sounds pretty good and has some pre-set EQ's if I need it (currently up the bass on the 6i's).

Again, I'm not only looking for good sound, but something that won't break in a couple of years...

Any more opinons?

Apr 25, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #4 of 13
UM1 isn't considered an upgrade from ER-6i. Probably even a downgrade. ER-4p is a step up if you want more bass and more accuracy. The UE if you just want bass and less accuracy. UM2 has more bass than ER-4p but is more muddy than it.

Apr 25, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #5 of 13
Ok revised list after a bit of research - down to these 3 (all roughly same price range)

Etymotic ER 4P
Atrio M5
Q-Jays

Opinions between these 3?

I've seen photos of the Q-Jays in ear... TINY - looks like you have to tug on the cable to get them out. Kind of scares me as that makes me think I'll soon have the same cable problem I have now with my 6i's.

Apr 26, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #6 of 13
All of these listed is quite different from each other.

Get ER4P if you like the Ety sound and doesn't want to venture far. Get Q-jay if you want a bit more fun in the sound. Get M5 is you are looking for a fun IEM with monster bass.

Apr 26, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bfrank1972 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Again, I'm not only looking for good sound, but something that won't break in a couple of years...

The ER4P has been around for more than a decade, some people had it for a long time and consider it built like a tank. But of course it all depends on how you treat it. If you take care not to tug the wire and don't drop the IEM I'm sure most will last pretty long. My Sony EX70 is still kicking after 7 year and there are people who ruin it in a few months.

Apr 26, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #8 of 13
If you have listened to er6i, then other than ER4P or atleast iM716 will be a disappointment, because others can't provide those crisp clear highs. Maybe triple.fi pro-s, but those are 300+$. But I don't know your sound preferences, are you a basshead or do you prefer allaround clear sound? Don't expect too much from durability, there is no phone that could last years everyday using, especially if you do some physical work. My iM716 will probably break in a year or so, but thats their life expectancy, at my usage style. You can't expect decade of lasting for 100-200$. My suggestion to you is Altec-Lansing iM716, they have the same ety sound signature, but more bass and they cost around 50-60$ on ebay.

May 1, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #9 of 13
Ok well after reading billllions of reviews and forums and chasing my tail a bit, I settled on none of the above. Purchased a new set of Denon AH-C700's for $75 shipped - I liked their solid construction, and they get pretty good reviews. Once I listen to them a bit I'll follow up with how they compare to the 6i's.

May 1, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bfrank1972 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok well after reading billllions of reviews and forums and chasing my tail a bit, I settled on none of the above. Purchased a new set of Denon AH-C700's for $75 shipped - I liked their solid construction, and they get pretty good reviews. Once I listen to them a bit I'll follow up with how they compare to the 6i's.

Where from thats a great price.

May 4, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #13 of 13
Wow - just learned something important. So I got my C700's. Immediately popped them in my ears and was immediately disappointed. The 6i's had slightly *more* bass, much fuller sounding. The C700's also had ear piercing high end, tried turning it up to see what the bass did and I could barely stand to listen to them!

So I decided to let them play on my ipod overnight, hoping something would change - I wasn't sure how much "break in" would matter for these.

Results? Amazing - now they're a completely different set of earphones. EQ set to flat, the bass is powerful and the highs have completely smoothed out. They sound great - only thing is they seem to have some sort of mild 'hole' in the upper mids compared to the 6i's, but they shine everywhere else (especially build quality). Great earphones, especially at $75 shipped
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway thought I'd just follow up - I love these things, and have learned that at least with the Denons, break-in is very important.

Cheers all,

Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back