Replacement for Denon AH-C551K?
Jul 4, 2011 at 1:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Tyrdium

New Head-Fier
My C551Ks sadly died on me the other month -- I get no audio from one of the ears. They worked out perfectly for me. Isolated well, but not too much; I need to be able to hear if there's an announcement on the train. Great sound. Most importantly, very comfortable. I tried the ER6i at one point and absolutely hated how deep they went into my ears. I also find foam tips don't work very well for me; rubber flanges fit much better.

So! Does anyone know of a good set that doesn't go too deep into the ear?

Main use: music (soundtrack, rock, industrial, Japanese country, etc.), TV/movies. Likely 70/30 mix.
Main environment: noisy public (train, airplane, street)
Price: $100 max (prefer lower -- main issue is value)

Isolation is obviously a factor. Given that I'll be walking with these, low microphonics is also preferable. My C551Ks weren't bad if I looped them over my ears, though it did look a bit dorky. Audio quality is of course important as well. I generally prefer accurate over boomy.

If possible, I'd prefer to purchase in store (Washington, DC) or off Amazon Prime. I may be flying to Japan sometime this week, so I may want to overnight them; I'd like to have them for the flight.

Sets I've seen recommended on this forum include the Brainwavz M3, the Spider Realvoice, and the Shure SE215. Any idea how these would work for my needs? Are there other sets I should look at?

Alternatively, I'd be happy getting the C551Ks repaired if it's reasonably inexpensive. I'd need quick turnaround time and somewhere in the DC area, though. Is this at all doable?

Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back