Replacement cables
Jul 11, 2008 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

goldfilm

100+ Head-Fier
How important are the replacement cables? How good are the warranties for those who don't have replaceable cables?

I'm about to buy a new pair under $200. My final decision is between Etymotic (6i or 4P), UE (Super.fi 3/4/5) or Shure (e3c/e4c/SE210), but then I noticed that UE is the only one with replacement cables. I don't wanna spend $150 and six months later trash them because the right wing doesn't sound as the left wing...

Any recommendations? Which brands have replacement cables beyond UE and SA?

Thanks!

Jul 11, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #2 of 9
Note that ER4P do have replaceable cable.

It really depends on how hard you'll be using your IEM. My E3c is 4 yrs old and my ER6i is 3 yrs old now. E3c's cable is still nice and ER6i's cable is a bit harden up but not causing any problem. If you take care of your IEM, most of them will not need to replace their cable.

On the other hand, some IEM (like SE530) are notorious for bad / cracking cable even under good care.

Jul 11, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #4 of 9
That's because Ety doesn't openly sell the replacement cable. Most of the time they will replace the cable as warranty claim or repair. The only place I know that makes custom ER4 cable is APureSound.com

Jul 11, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #6 of 9
Replaceable cables are an unproven value in my book even though I consider them must haves for anything I buy. In not quite five years I've had three PX100 and two Yuin PK2 fail because the wire shorted at the headphone jack. I've had ATH-EC7 short out at the driver/cable junction. I lost another ATH-EC7 to a folding stroller accident.

That's a lot of gear out of comission because of failed/broken cables. So I decided that I would never buy portable gear that cost more than $20 without replaceable cables again...

My first significant purchase with this policy were super.fi 5 pro. One, they had a cable built like a tank. I never managed any significant strain or wear on that cable. Two, the driver housing failed after less than eight months. I avoided the cable failure and found another point of failure.

Now I'm with Sleek SA6, replaceable cables and, hopefully, no other common failure point.

Jul 13, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #7 of 9
So, if replaceable cables is a must I should go with the Super.fi's or SA... why are there so many Ety fans? What happen with the 6i or 4P when you have problems with the cables (if you have)...?

Jul 14, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #8 of 9
^Can you demo both?

If so, just trust your ears mate.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back