Replacement Cable for Sennheiser HD 25-1 ii : Oyaide vs. Cardas vs. Custom Cans vs. Factory
Jul 7, 2015 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

HawaiiR

100+ Head-Fier
Sooo...

After ten years of really good use the cable on my reliable HD 25's is finally giving way. Time for a replacement. Not sure which ones to buy, or if I should just invest in a new set of cans. I think I'll try the replacement route first.

Does anyone have thoughts on which of these cables they would recommend and why?

Oyaide
Cardas (I don't like how there's no way to screw on the 1/4" adapter, but if it sounds great, I'll consider it)
Custom Cans
Factory

I'm assuming custom cans just uses the factory cable with a fancy sheathing on it, but who knows.

Looking forward to thoughts from the community!

Jul 8, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #3 of 14
For new cables I suggegst you look at which cables are more durable and which of the durable cables is the most practical in your situation: long or short, coiled or straight, single sided or double sided.

The sound of new cables will most probably be very similar to the sound of the original cables. No one has done a blind test yet that proves that there are audible differences. New cables might cause slightly elevated highs because of the lower resistance of copper/silver, but even that I doubt. The original cable is made of iron by the way.

Jul 8, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #4 of 14
  Have you checked at the Equipment Forums?

Have you checked at the Equipment Forums?

I have not (yet), but I will. Thanks for the recommendation!

For new cables I suggegst you look at which cables are more durable and which of the durable cables is the most practical in your situation: long or short, coiled or straight, single sided or double sided.

The sound of new cables will most probably be very similar to the sound of the original cables. No one has done a blind test yet that proves that there are audible differences. New cables might cause slightly elevated highs because of the lower resistance of copper/silver, but even that I doubt. The original cable is made of iron by the way.

I've never purchased or (knowingly) used headphones with copper/silver...always been curious about them though. Wonder if it's worth the extra $25 or so for those as opposed tot he factory ones. I suppose there's only one way to find out. Thanks for your help!

Jul 8, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #5 of 14

I've never purchased or (knowingly) used headphones with copper/silver...always been curious about them though. Wonder if it's worth the extra $25 or so for those as opposed tot he factory ones. I suppose there's only one way to find out. Thanks for your help!

Most headpphones use copper cables. The HD25s are an exception, so I guess you must have heard headphones with copper cables before.

Jul 8, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #6 of 14
  Most headpphones use copper cables. The HD25s are an exception, so I guess you must have heard headphones with copper cables before.

Ah yes, in which case I'm sure I've heard headphones with the copper cables. I'm sure on of my other pair have them... I'll do a little more homework before I make the buy for the HD25's. Appreciate the help!

Jul 9, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #7 of 14
All HD 25-1 parts are replaceable, Why not get the original one. those cardas and oyaide are expensive and imho you will not perceive better sq with them. 

Jul 9, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #8 of 14
  All HD 25-1 parts are replaceable, Why not get the original one. those cardas and oyaide are expensive and imho you will not perceive better sq with them. 

Yep, that's what I love about them, the fact that the parts are replaceable.
Have you tried the other cables personally? If so, have you noticed any difference at all, or no?

Jul 9, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #9 of 14
There is never ever ever EVER going to be a difference in sound quality by changing the cables. This has been clinically tested many times. This was mentioned previously by Beyakusenn but I think you didn't believe him, because you're still asking if it makes a difference. The only logical purpose for paying extra for a cable is for added durability. If you got 10 years out of your 1st cable, I don't think you can get much better than that. I sure can't. 

Sorry if I overemphasized. 

Jul 9, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #10 of 14
I wouldn't mind something more durable. The stock cables are a bit flimsy looking, but then again, so are these headphones in general. I guess I was secretly hoping to spend more money than I need to in false hopes of better sound quality from the cabling. Hmmm, maybe I'll do some research on if I can improve the SQ by applying one of the modding options out there.

Jun 11, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #11 of 14
There is never ever ever EVER going to be a difference in sound quality by changing the cables. This has been clinically tested many times. This was mentioned previously by Beyakusenn but I think you didn't believe him, because you're still asking if it makes a difference. The only logical purpose for paying extra for a cable is for added durability. If you got 10 years out of your 1st cable, I don't think you can get much better than that. I sure can't.

I have a blon bl-03 with stock cables and with 10usd cables. There is a difference in sound, extremely easy to notice. I follow your logic, I agree with you in the theory, the problem is that reality tells me otherwise. I would belive you if it wasn't because what you say is not true and can be tested in 3 seconds.

Dec 10, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #12 of 14
Well the stock HD 25 cable is steel. Not sure but I guess that means copper clad steel but I really don't know. I think I read customcans says the stock cable has 4 ohms resistance. It's crap. Even a well-made copper cable is a real upgrade. I'm not saying you'll hear it but I believe people who say they hear it. The HD 25s can scale to amazing heights with a good source. I have to believe a cable made out of copper like all the other headphones in the world is going to be better than steel or everybody would be making steel cables.

The cable is steel because the HD 25s are sold for hard use environments. If you want tough and long lasting buy the stock cable. If you want a nice upgrade for cheap then get a customcans.co.uk cable. They're cheap enough to buy both.

Dec 10, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #13 of 14

This is for most practical purposes true. It might be more precise to say that properly designed cables all sound the same. It is, however, possible for a badly designed cable to sound noticeably different—typically by having a rolled-off high end. There have been examples of audiophile cable companies selling very expensive wire renowned for a rich warm sound. Engineers can measure them and tell you they're just crappy cables ... you could get the same sound with a $5 Radio Shack wire and a $1 capacitor.

What I've seen from looking at a good number of double-blind listening studies:
1. Cables that measure the same sound the same.
2. Cables that measure different might sound different. But the difference has to be something that would effect the audible range of frequencies, and the effect would have to be pronounced enough to be statistically relevant in listening tests. This is uncommon.
3. Which means that most cables, for our purposes, measure the same and sound the same. And this sound is no sound at all—they're effectively transparent.

I've been reading some talk about shielding and noise rejection with regard to headphone cables. While I haven't seen any technical articles on this, the idea seems odd. Unless you're hanging out next to a giant transformer or a Tesla coil, I can't imagine there being an electro-magnetic field strong enough to induce audible noise in a headphone. Shielding is essential in mic cables, which carry a signal orders of magnitude lower, and which are subject to over 50db of gain. If I'm missing something here, someone please point me to some technical info on this.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #14 of 14
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32869420516.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dTBtbCo

13$ shipped. Great upgrade from original, shorter, thinner, lighter, modern 90º smaller connector... I guess both oiyaide and cardas are great too, or better. 50€ for the oiyade, japanese product, not a bad price, a red one would be great. I only tested this one from aliexpress though. I did not do any sound comparison test for these cables, I just liked it much better than the stock one. I probably checked if there was any huge sound differences, there were not. Those tests take time to make them half-well, so I just didn't. I checked it worked well and sold stock one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back