Replace my Zune
Jan 24, 2010 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

lozanoa11

100+ Head-Fier
Well I recently moved back to Linux, and it does not play well with my Zune HD. I have come to realize that I do not use most of the features of it except playing music. So I was thinking of selling it and getting something else.

The Sanza Clip or Fuze seems to be what I need. But I was wondering if there was something else out there better. I just need:
1 Good sound quality
2 Flac compatibility (not .Alac, .Ape, .wma lossless or any other I can't remember)
3 Size, I useally just put the songs I listen to most on my player but would love the ablility to put most if not all of my music on it. (about 100gb)
4 Price, yea I like the price of the Sanzas but could spend more if need be so I would like to see what you guys suggest.
Edit: I should add gapless playback is important, and good battery life would be nice.
Size is not a factor.

Thanks

Jan 25, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #2 of 8
AFAIK only a RockBoxed iPod 5G w/a hard drive upgrade (100gb or better) will do for your requirements. Plays FLAC, does gapless, decent battery life, cost will definitely be more than you'd like (costing as little as a Sansa dap is unrealistic I'm afraid). This is my suggestion, maybe someone else will provide something better (but it will most likely be a suggestion w/RockBox).

Jan 25, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #3 of 8
I think I may just get a Sansa Fuze and put a card in it. Ill just have to not put all my music on it I suppose.

Jan 25, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #4 of 8
How much space do you need? A 4th or 5th gen iPod with Rockbox would be a great replacement. You can get them pretty cheap (I've got a 4th gen and a 5.5 gen for a little over $30 each) if you're willing to fix a broken one.

If you want a new player, a Clip+ or Fuze would be a good option. Although I don't have a Fuze, I've had a Clip+ since September or so. The Clip+ sounds great, but the EQ isn't very good. You can get a 4GB Clip+ for about $50 and a 16GB micro SD card for about $50. If you can find an 8GB, they're about $70 or so. That's still 20-24GB for $100-$130 or even a little bit less.

Jan 25, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #5 of 8
Well I do have a 5th gen broken Ipod that i guess I could fix and upgrade the hard drive. The dock conneter and headphone jack to not work. Well the dock connecter, if you push hard on it it will work. Will that just need a Logic board then? I can then use a LOD correct?

Jan 25, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by lozanoa11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I do have a 5th gen broken Ipod that i guess I could fix and upgrade the hard drive. The dock conneter and headphone jack to not work. Well the dock connecter, if you push hard on it it will work. Will that just need a Logic board then? I can then use a LOD correct?

If the dock connector doesn't work, you'll probably need a new logic board. Unless you can get a broken iPod with a good logic board, you'll probably be paying a good bit of money for it ($90?). New headphone jacks cost about $5 off ebay. Unless you really need the space, just get a Clip+ or Fuze and 16GB micro SD card (32GB cards aren't out yet).

Jan 25, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AFAIK only a RockBoxed iPod 5G w/a hard drive upgrade (100gb or better) will do for your requirements. Plays FLAC, does gapless, decent battery life, cost will definitely be more than you'd like (costing as little as a Sansa dap is unrealistic I'm afraid). This is my suggestion, maybe someone else will provide something better (but it will most likely be a suggestion w/RockBox).

could you do this with an i touch?

how do u upgrade th hdd

Jan 25, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinCannoisseur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
could you do this with an i touch?

how do u upgrade th hdd

No, an iPod Touch is not upgradeable, and RockBox doesn't work on it.

YouTube - How to replace an Apple Ipod hard drive

This is the iPod w/a ZIF connector, and the 4th gen & Mini have the older pin connector (not sure w/the correct name of it is atm).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back