Replace lost/stolen ER4Ps?
May 15, 2009 at 1:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Phreon

Head-Fier
So somewhere in my travels, I managed to lose my ER4Ps and Cowon U3 MP3 player. I'd be inclined to outright replace them, except money is a little tight right now and I'm wondering if there's a better replacement for the money these days. I have hearing loss, so ITE headphones are the only real way I can hear music unadulterated. The ER4Ps worked well because I could drive them hard without distortion and they were a bit forward in the upper range, which is where most of my loss is. Plus, the were just so amazingly accurate; I loved 'em.

What is available these days that's in the ER4P's performance and price (cheaper is better) ballpark? Who has the best price on ER4Ps these days? Anyone better than amazon?

I really started to like that little U3, and now I have to find a good replacement for it, as it appears nobody sells it anymore. What an annoying way to end the week.

Thanks,

Phreon

May 15, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #2 of 12
Etymotics HF5 at $99 from Amazon until end of May. Very close to ER4-P sound and much better ergonomics and cable.

May 15, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #3 of 12
The Phonak PFEs are very similar in sound but give a fuller, more open and musical presentation. I prefer them over the Etys. They are $129 without mic.

Or you might just want to get the Etys again if you didn't find them sounding thin or harsh. They seemed to have worked for you so far.

May 18, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #5 of 12
finding something you thought was long lost is the best feeling ever! Haha unfortunately for me, I usually only find things once I've dished out tons of cash to replace them!

Anyway, mind telling us what tips you like on the ER4's?
I am debating grabbing a pair and am trying to figure out what tips give the best ratio of isolation to comfort!

May 18, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #6 of 12
Shure black olives with a 3-4 mm spacer cut from a triflange works best for me both for comfort, durability and sq

May 19, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ac!d-rxn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
finding something you thought was long lost is the best feeling ever! Haha unfortunately for me, I usually only find things once I've dished out tons of cash to replace them!

Anyway, mind telling us what tips you like on the ER4's?
I am debating grabbing a pair and am trying to figure out what tips give the best ratio of isolation to comfort!

None of the stock tips really worked, so I called Ety and they sent me a few to try. Right now, I'm using what I think (it's been a while) are the medium or small bi-flange. My ear canals are very small...none of the tris fit. I'll probably just have my audiologist make a set of custom tips. I think it's something like $40 an ear. I can't remember where they send the molds to, but the company can do tips for Etys, Shures and just about anything else you can think of.

Phreon

May 19, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure black olives with a 3-4 mm spacer cut from a triflange works best for me both for comfort, durability and sq

I'm surprised, considering you've got what is certainly the fanciest pair of Etymotic earphones on the planet, that you never took the step and tried them as full customs.

May 19, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinocelt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm surprised, considering you've got what is certainly the fanciest pair of Etymotic earphones on the planet, that you never took the step and tried them as full customs.

I'm not sure I'd want my IEMs remolded into a hearing aid style housing anyway. I wear hearing aids (ITC or In the Canal) and can tell you that they're a real pain in the @ss to clean. My ER-4Ps will *always * have removable tips for this reason.

$169? Go to your audiologist (you have one right? especially since you're into in-ear music reproduction); they can do custom tips/inserts for you for about $40-$50 an ear.

Phreon

May 19, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phreon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure I'd want my IEMs remolded into a hearing aid style housing anyway. I wear hearing aids (ITC or In the Canal) and can tell you that they're a real pain in the @ss to clean. My ER-4Ps will *always * have removable tips for this reason.

Weird. I mean, why haven't I ever read that complaint from any of the many owners of custom IEMs on Head-Fi? They often bitch about fit, seal, comfort... you'd think they'd mention it if cleaning their customs were such a pain. Could hearing aids be somehow different, in that regard, more finicky?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phreon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$169? Go to your audiologist (you have one right? especially since you're into in-ear music reproduction); they can do custom tips/inserts for you for about $40-$50 an ear.

Maybe if I get an IEM worth the trouble. I don't have an audiologist in this country, no, not yet. The one I had in France wasn't because of my love for sound reproduction, but because I suffer from hereditary auditory hyperacuity. My father was prescribed a medical hearing aid that reduces sounds, a lot like musician earplugs I surmise.

As for me, I live with normal earplugs; I only remove them to shower, to replace them with an IEM, or to teach (because, of course, unlike musician earplugs, they don't reduce frequencies evenly; they muffle sounds, making speech hard to understand, whatever the volume). I've recently ordered a pair of ER20, and if I like them well enough, I may next shell out the bucks for custom musician earplugs.

May 19, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinocelt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had actually booked a time to have custom moulds made for them but then discovered the spacer mod and was so pleased with the effect that I cancelled. I may yet have them made if for no other reason than to satisfy my curiosity. In Denmark it will cost me about $160 all included to have full ear silicone moulds done.

May 19, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had actually booked a time to have custom moulds made for them but then discovered the spacer mod and was so pleased with the effect that I cancelled. I may yet have them made if for no other reason than to satisfy my curiosity. In Denmark it will cost me about $160 all included to have full ear silicone moulds done.

*nod* A little cheaper than Null Audio's offering. Of course, for normal people who don't own an Etymotic on steroids, buying a "normal" custom IEM (UE4Pro, Fidelity Customs...) is certainly still the best option.
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back