Replace Kimber USB with a commercially manufactured cable?
Apr 2, 2010 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Hansen

New Head-Fier
Hello,

Let me know what you think about this one. I contacted a DAC manufacturer about a problem(problem is a high pitch noise from the speakers everytime I start the computer with the DAC connected. This is apparently solved by having a self-powered HUB between the computer and DAC-usb cable...anywho) and I got this advice on improving the sound:

"Replace the Kimber USB with a pair of commercially manufactured cables. Ones that I would recommend are any that are built to USB 2.0 specifications, and as short as is practical for your installation.

This will give markedly better performance over the Kimber cable you have been using."

What do the audiophiles here say? Should I try to return the oh-so very recommended Kimber cable with another cheap one as suggested?

EDIT: I was suggested to buy a Belkin Gold Series Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Cable, 6 feet.

Apr 2, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #2 of 33
Belkin Gold USB 2.0 cable is great, I didnt find any difference between USB cables. The Beklin one offers good build quality and flexibility at the price, I wouldnt bother with anything higher. If you can get money back on the Kimber, save it for something else.

Apr 2, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #5 of 33
I had both cable for awhile, and to me, they sounded identical.

Apr 2, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #6 of 33
I also use the Belkin cable. Found it hard to justify spending 50-125 on a Kimber cable when so many people said the Belkin was comparable.

Apr 2, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they do worse than nothing, they don't adhere to specifications, which causes problems.

Have you any examples/proof of that?

To the OP, was your problem actually a ground loop? You can get isolators which go between the DAC and amp here

Amazon.co.uk: ground loop isolator

Apr 2, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #8 of 33
The Kimber USB cable is not commercially manufactured?

Apr 2, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Kimber USB cable is not commercially manufactured?

Tha'ts what I thought.

A $5 Belkin Gold USB cable does the job just fine, anything more than that is a waste for me.

Apr 2, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #10 of 33
Waw, thank you all for your answers. Apparently I made an uneducated choice when I purchased the kimber cable. I have now requested a RMA and already placed an order on the belkin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To the OP, was your problem actually a ground loop? You can get isolators which go between the DAC and amp here

Amazon.co.uk: ground loop isolator

Ground loop, hmm, I am not sure, because I don't know. (probably because I had to look up the term "ground loop"). However, the DAC is connected directly to my computer with the USB cable, and is also powered from the usb. The "noise" I am talking about, more like a whine, happens only when I start the computer and the speakers with the DAC connected(at the same time, when I wake up). There is no problem if I have the speakers connected directly to the computer without the DAC inbetween. The whine doesn't come right away. Most of the times it comes 1 minute after I have turn on the computer+speakers. The whine starts as a very high pitch sound and goes lower and lower in frequency until it stops after maybe 10 seconds, and then a few seconds later it starts from a low frequency and goes higher and higher until the frequency is so high that I cannot even hear it. That's is how I know it is gone, haha. Weird, yes. To solve this problem, I was advised to get a self-powered usb hub, DUB-H4 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub, to be specific. I have ordered it, so we shall see.

Apr 2, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #11 of 33
seems like if the Kimber and Belkin are indistinguishable, then the Kimber must meet spec. Nor is the Belkin $6 at any place I have checked.

You may not think USB cables affect sonics, but please identify speculation about empirical matters as such, and if you have made listening tests or measurements, by all means describe those as well.

Apr 2, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #12 of 33
I don't see how the kimber are worse than the belkin in any way. How is it expected that it would fix your problem to switch to the belkin.

And where is there info that Kimber usb cables don't adhere to usb specifications?

I've personally heard differences in USB cables which is why I'm now using a wireworld starlight. I've never tried the kimber ones though, and was interested in how the kimber AG usb one performs. There doesn't seem to be any reviews of it that I can find however, especially since the majority of people don't think USB cables make any difference.

My opinion is that it's unlikely switching out your Kimber for a Belkin is going to fix your problem.

Apr 2, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcwang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't see how the kimber are worse than the belkin in any way. How is it expected that it would fix your problem to switch to the belkin.

And where is there info that Kimber usb cables don't adhere to usb specifications?

I've personally heard differences in USB cables which is why I'm now using a wireworld starlight. I've never tried the kimber ones though, and was interested in how the kimber AG usb one performs. There doesn't seem to be any reviews of it that I can find however, especially since the majority of people don't think USB cables make any difference.

My opinion is that it's unlikely switching out your Kimber for a Belkin is going to fix your problem.

Oh no, I do not expect that to fix my problem. I am hoping that the new self-powered usb hub will fix my problem. The thing about the kimber cable is simply that the manufacturer of my DAC told me that I should get rid of the kimber cable and get something else instead i.e. belkin, because that -- somehow -- should improve the sound. Also, Kimber is $50 and Belkin is $9. I save $41.

Apr 5, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by fzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
seems like if the Kimber and Belkin are indistinguishable, then the Kimber must meet spec. Nor is the Belkin $6 at any place I have checked.

You may not think USB cables affect sonics, but please identify speculation about empirical matters as such, and if you have made listening tests or measurements, by all means describe those as well.

When I bought the Aqvox DAC the dealer borrowed me the Aqvox USB (170 Euro) and Aqvox coax cable (cca 190 Euro) etc for 2 weeks.

I have to dissapoint you but appart from looking super-duper there is zero, niente, garkeine difference from a stock USB cable, same valid for the coax (as long as one uses a stock 75 Ohm one).

The dealer said they are already burned-in, blah, blah, blah.

Also, if whoever buys these "looker" cables - very hard to show them of - normally they are at the back i.e. not visible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back