Replace CD player or add DAC?
Jun 9, 2005 at 12:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

nutcracker

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I'm a newbie to this forum.
I'm planning to build up a headphone system, and this site has been great. So far, I've decided on Senn HD650 and MF X-CANv3. For the source, I have a cheap Pioneer dvd/sacd player which came as a part of a $500 or so hometheater package. I'm thinking now on how to upgrade the source. Should I keep the cheap cd player and add on a DAC, or should I replace the cdplayer. I've heard how DAC transforms even a cheap player to sound incredible. I'm looking at something like the MF's small X-DAC v3. An online vendor currently have a package of 3 MF small x series (DAC, power supply, and tube output buffer) for $1200. However, to my knowledge, most fine cd players already have good DAC systems internally, so I suppose that will nullifiy the need for an external DAC?? The cd-player model I'm considering is MH Maverick SACD ($1500).
So, should I upgrade the system by adding on a DAC? or should I simply replace the inexpensive player? I'll take any recommendations. THANKS!!

Jun 9, 2005 at 1:12 AM Post #2 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by nutcracker
Hi all, I'm a newbie to this forum.
I'm planning to build up a headphone system, and this site has been great. So far, I've decided on Senn HD650 and MF X-CANv3. For the source, I have a cheap Pioneer dvd/sacd player which came as a part of a $500 or so hometheater package. I'm thinking now on how to upgrade the source. Should I keep the cheap cd player and add on a DAC, or should I replace the cdplayer. I've heard how DAC transforms even a cheap player to sound incredible. I'm looking at something like the MF's small X-DAC v3. An online vendor currently have a package of 3 MF small x series (DAC, power supply, and tube output buffer) for $1200. However, to my knowledge, most fine cd players already have good DAC systems internally, so I suppose that will nullifiy the need for an external DAC?? The cd-player model I'm considering is MH Maverick SACD ($1500).
So, should I upgrade the system by adding on a DAC? or should I simply replace the inexpensive player? I'll take any recommendations. THANKS!!

As long as you have a digital output, I would suggest going with an external DAC. Really, the future is in DACs. I believe that very shortly, digital audio will mostly be streamed from a server and those that insist on a physical medium (be it that super new blue ray, or HD-DVDA or whatever) the bonus is that your DAC can accept the signal and away you go. Just always upgrading the DAC to decode the newest signals. Personally after buying my recent Redbook player, I am done with digital. if BlueRay does come out, I'm going to buy a rom device for my PC and just stream to a dac. If the dac supercedes my redbook player than the dac will accept inputs from it too.

However, if you don't like the idea of all these components, the extra psu etc. Then perhaps just swapping in a nice universal player would do the trick! Welly Wu recently provided a listing of some excellent contenders in various price ranges (150-15000 USD I think).

Jun 9, 2005 at 1:22 AM Post #3 of 24
I have no experiene with the X-CAN gear you mention, but the MH Maverick is a fantastic player. I have a modded Maverick and couldn't be happier with it, I haven't even thought about upgrading my source again since I got it.

Jun 10, 2005 at 1:15 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterR
Consider that an external DAC won't help you with SACD, is that important to you?

Yes, that's about the only concern in this case speaking against the external DAC, assuming that the current source does SACD, but not necessarily does it well.
My personal strategy is, once the hifi budget is rising again, to
a) put a nice upsampling DAC on my AirPort Express and stream from the main iMac.
b) later add a Mac mini with a matching external drive of usable size (4-500GB) and then use that as the music server for redbook. This in order to not having to run the G5 all the time, an obstacle that currently limits my APX usage. The mini is even less noisy and wastes less energy since that rig would not even need a screen, I can just use a notebook, PDA or cellphone as a remote.

Nevertheless I will keep my SACD Player for SACD content, all the other stuff will just free me of the redbook hassle & add convenience.

Jun 12, 2005 at 4:13 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
As long as you have a digital output, I would suggest going with an external DAC. Really, the future is in DACs. I believe that very shortly, digital audio will mostly be streamed from a server and those that insist on a physical medium (be it that super new blue ray, or HD-DVDA or whatever) the bonus is that your DAC can accept the signal and away you go. Just always upgrading the DAC to decode the newest signals. Personally after buying my recent Redbook player, I am done with digital. if BlueRay does come out, I'm going to buy a rom device for my PC and just stream to a dac. If the dac supercedes my redbook player than the dac will accept inputs from it too.

However, if you don't like the idea of all these components, the extra psu etc. Then perhaps just swapping in a nice universal player would do the trick! Welly Wu recently provided a listing of some excellent contenders in various price ranges (150-15000 USD I think).

I'm kinda confused, and need your help. So what you're suggesting is to buy the rom devises which allows computer to read sacd/blue ray/ or whatever new format? Are such gadgets available today?
Can you also clarify on how to stream sacd/blueray signals from computer to dac?? Perhaps the computer will convert sacd/dsc or blueray to PCM signal so it can be streamed through the DAC via airport express??? To my knowledge, the only DACs which accept sacd/dsc signals are the high end models, and already cost a stagering fortune today. Not only can't I afford one, but I would not dare to upgrade to new top of the line dac models each time to accomodate new format/signals. perhaps I'm missing something? Thanks for your advise.

Jun 12, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #8 of 24
I've heard the maverick a few times, and while I liked it, it didn't really wow me in comparison to my modded E-MU, maybe a little more detail, a little better soundstage, but not any more satisfying. I'd definately look into dacs in the $1000-1500 range.

Jun 12, 2005 at 3:45 PM Post #9 of 24
Hi,

I have set my mind on a DAC to supplement my Rega Planet. Here's my shortlist of available options, in no particular order:

Headroom MicroDAC 300$
Art Di/O modded 350$
Channel Islands Dac + PSU 500$
Scott Nixon Tube DAC+500$
aCK! Dack! 2.0
Audio Note Kit 1.1 700$
Perpetual Technologies
Monarchy DIP (not a DAC)
Bel Canto 2
Benchmark DAC-1
upcoming Xin SuperDAC

or look out for some older used gear from makes such as

Theta, Muse, McCormack, ....

I am looking for enhancing my Redbook experience. DVD decoding capability would be a nice bonus but is by no means essential.

What's your take?

Matthias

Jun 13, 2005 at 2:49 PM Post #10 of 24
nutcracker: at present I do not know of a rom device that can read dvd-a or sacd. There very well may be ones that can read dvd-a but I think sacd will never come about if it is not already available. That said, it is not that big of a deal in my mind since both these formats are on their way out. However, there will be blue-ray and hddvd-a devices for the computer in the future and from here you could stream the signal to a DAC, though again, at present there are no dacs that exist that can handle this signal. Yet of couse.

Jun 13, 2005 at 4:11 PM Post #11 of 24
well, the new formats are meant for video, even though they will be able to carry uncompressed PCM, but this will be most likely used on Live concert discs and not really meant for stereo listening.. Sony claims Super Audio CD is there to stay for purely music reproduction.. they somehow believe in DSD and you can see that Blu-Ray doesn't support DSD at all..

and the current lack of full resolution digital output of both the hi-res players will soon get remedy
wink.gif

Jun 13, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glassman
well, the new formats are meant for video, even though they will be able to carry uncompressed PCM, but this will be most likely used on Live concert discs and not really meant for stereo listening.. Sony claims Super Audio CD is there to stay for purely music reproduction.. they somehow believe in DSD and you can see that Blu-Ray doesn't support DSD at all..

and the current lack of full resolution digital output of both the hi-res players will soon get remedy
wink.gif

Are you sure about Sony? I have continually read that Sony is pulling the plug on SACD. Blue-Ray is the future for them...once the new plants are in place, new music will be released on these discs I will assume, not SACD. Same goes for the HDDVD, no more DVD-a as we know it, more like HDDVD-a. Do you have concrete evidence that Sony is staying in the SACD game?

Jun 13, 2005 at 7:26 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
Do you have concrete evidence that Sony is staying in the SACD game?

From what I've read the PlayStation III's drive reads both Blue-ray and SACD (and SACD HD?! -> http://www.ps3insiders.com/ps3_features.php). Since a console's lifespan is at least five years (unless you are M$) that is pretty good evidence that SACD is here to stay for a while. Of course this might change up to the day it finally appears on the shelves.

Jun 13, 2005 at 7:39 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
From what I've read the PlayStation III's drive reads both Blue-ray and SACD (and SACD HD?! -> http://www.ps3insiders.com/ps3_features.php). Since a console's lifespan is at least five years (unless you are M$) that is pretty good evidence that SACD is here to stay for a while. Of course this might change up to the day it finally appears on the shelves.

It can read them sure...but is Sony making new discs. That is my main question. I think the PS3 is meant to be fully compatible reading any optical disc backed by Sony.

Jun 13, 2005 at 8:05 PM Post #15 of 24
Blu-Ray might offer higher capacity, but Sony has nothing to fill it with, they think DSD is the best you can get.. the new discs won't have their audio-only versions, rather concerts and videoclips will be released with an uncompressed soundtrack.. I've read some article where many folks from recording industry as well as people behing Sonoma recording station and the new Sony SACD center claimed Sony is no way dithing SACD.. and to me there is no reason to do so, you really can't get much more than SACD has to offer and it would be just a knife in the back of the current SACD supporters and community.. video is completely different story, DVD is pretty low-res format if you ask me..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back