Replace Beyer DT990 Pro or Sound Blaster Z?
Jul 4, 2014 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tcmike

New Head-Fier
Let me make 4 things clear (ranked by importance):
1) Gaming is my passion above all else. (70% of my time on RPGs, 30% on FPS's).
2) I watch almost ALL movies and TV shows through my computer.
3)I love rock, screamo-less metal, and oldie country. (mostly the first two).
4) My budget is around $600 (can go higher if theres a MUST buy).

So I have been thinking... which should I replace?!

If I ditch my Sound Blaster Z, will I really lose a lot of positional audio for gaming?? I always just figured big soundstage meant good/decent positional audio, but I hear constantly that DAC/AMP combos hurt gaming more than they help. I also hear that DAC/AMPs make your headphones sound significantly better, so im not sure on whether replacing my soundblaster z is worth doing over a new pair of cans.

Are there headphones for my style (read above) that put shame to the DT990 pros?? I always see suggestions of other headphones around the same price of my DT990s, but the problem is this: I want not only a pair that fits my style, but I want them to be of higher quality than that of the DT990s. I want to be able to sit in my chair and do the same things I always do and be completely satisfied that I bought different headphones.

Anyway, choose which one i should replace and what i should replace it with and why.

I really appreciate the time you all spend on my post.

Have an awesome 4th of july everyone!!!

Jul 4, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #2 of 8
I don't see any reason why you should ditch your SBZ or dt990, unless you are not happy with your soundcard's current DSP algorithm. 

if you main priority is gaming, then you wont get much upgrade by ditching your SB Z or dt990. but if you want to improve your music, you can always get better results by getting a better amp and a headphone. otherwise you are mostly wasting your money.

Jul 6, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #3 of 8
The headphones if gaming is your priority. There are some models that do better with positional audio than the DT990s. See this guide and the reviews/rankings: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-4-17-2014-akg-k612-and-k712-pro-added-edits

Jul 8, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #5 of 8
  How does DAC/AMP combos hurt gaming?

you need a surround DSP algorithm like dolby headphone, CMSS 3d to simulate the rear sound clues(sounds coming behind you), otherwise you ll only able to hear front sound clues.

most of the soundcards have some kind of a DSP algorithm. as an example if you take Xonar STX, it has Dolby headphone plus a great AMP/DAC.

Jul 9, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #6 of 8
This might not answer your question but I found that I prefer using a good gaming headset for gaming and my other cans for music.

I too am a huge gamer to the disappointment of my wife. :)

For gaming I prefer my speakers but when I must use a headset or I need to keep the noise down I prefer my now sold sony MDR-V6 and Sony Pulse Elite.

Both work wonderful for gaming. I'm not in any need for 5.1 cans though I do own a turtle beach headset with 6 speakers in them or some **** that does 5.1 pretty well considering 5.1 on the head sucks.

If I were you I'd continue to use the DT's for gaming and just buy a nicer set for music enjoyment while keeping yopur current sound card.

Jul 10, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #7 of 8
appreciate the responses guys. 

if you main priority is gaming, then you wont get much upgrade by ditching your SB Z or dt990.

I always figured there would be an external DAC/AMP out there built specifically for gaming that would do a 'better' job than SB Z. It's really too bad there isn't (that I am aware of atleast).

See this guide and the reviews/rankings: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-4-17-2014-akg-k612-and-k712-pro-added-edits

I didn't even notice it got updated! I used that thread for purchasing my DT990s! With my increased budget, I am ever more  skeptical on every headset I look at so I was hoping to get some more outside opinions. Unfortunately, I dont have a way to test headphones and see what I really want.. (Are there places that let you buy and try them out and do a money back gaurantee sort of thing?? The nearest big city is ages away and most stores are stocking less of the higher end equipment so its getting harder to try out equipment to find what I want..)

For gaming I prefer my speakers but when I must use a headset or I need to keep the noise down I prefer my now sold sony MDR-V6 and Sony Pulse Elite.

If I were you I'd continue to use the DT's for gaming and just buy a nicer set for music enjoyment while keeping yopur current sound card.

I used to be a speaker guy until I moved into my apartment.. neighbors complain at the slightest noise and I have to have my bass :wink:. appreciate the suggestion.

I am considering just upgrading to the next level of beyers so that I just get an overall upgrade or switching to a new brand that has nice bass thats great for rock/metal.. yall have any suggestions for another brand that would probably 1 up the dt990s? I love bass!!! lol

Jul 10, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #8 of 8
I didn't even notice it got updated! I used that thread for purchasing my DT990s! With my increased budget, I am ever more  skeptical on every headset I look at so I was hoping to get some more outside opinions. Unfortunately, I dont have a way to test headphones and see what I really want.. (Are there places that let you buy and try them out and do a money back gaurantee sort of thing?? The nearest big city is ages away and most stores are stocking less of the higher end equipment so its getting harder to try out equipment to find what I want..)

If you buy from Amazon or fulfilled by Amazon, you can return the headphones for the cost of shipping--Amazon's cost. They give you a shipping label when you fill out the RMA, and then the shipping cost is deducted from your credit. Small price to pay for in-home demo fee.

So I've picked out my two favorite in the past, and then returned one :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back