Repairing my Shure E4C's. What are my solutions?
Feb 27, 2011 at 9:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

versp

New Head-Fier

As can probably be seen, they're falling apart. I'm rather new to this all, and so have no idea what my options are in rescuing them.

So my questions probably are what would I need to do to repair them, how hard is it, and if it's above my level of expertise any local head-fi'ers who I could pay to do it? (London area).

Mar 1, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #2 of 13
you can just cut the bad part of the cable an resolder it to the earphone. I did it myself a couple of times on my e4's. Works great.

Mar 1, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #4 of 13
but to put some heatshrink he would have to open the earphones anyway. It's not difficult at all to fix this with a little soldering.

Mar 1, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
Your other option is to send them to shure for out of warranty repair (I assume they're out of warranty).  Basically they just send you a new pair.
Here's the price list:
http://www.shure.com/idc/groups/primary_content/@americas/documents/webcontent/pdf_en_us_service_fees.pdf

Indeed, warranty was up something like 2 or even 3 years ago now.
Took a look at that list, and assuming the quoted prices are in $? And sorry for my noobness, I'm guessing it's one of these that I'd need, but not sure which or anything.

Earphone Accessories
CBL-M  36
CBL-M+K  36
MPA-3c-k-efs  14

Quote:
you can just cut the bad part of the cable an resolder it to the earphone. I did it myself a couple of times on my e4's. Works great.

Couple of questions about that;
What sort of difficulty is this? This would be my first time trying to solder anything.
Given it's so close to the actual earphone, will it be harder or more risky to do?
How much is equipment gonna cost me? I don't think I'd have anything already that I'd need to do that.

Thanks to everyone for their replies, I'm deeply appreciative.

Mar 1, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #7 of 13

In that list look for the part that says: 
[size=medium]

SCL Earphones and Headphones

Your model is the equivalent of the SCL4. Same IEM, different model number. 
It's going to cost you U$109 to get them replaced, probably with a refurbished set.

About the soldering thing... I think that it's not difficult at all. Of course it will be more dangerous since the pieces are so tiny, but if you have good pulse I'd say go for it. It's really a very entertaining thing to do to fix your own headphones. I've fixed mine many many times.
You will need a pistol soldering gun and some materials to do the actual soldering. I think that the cost would be something like 25 dollars, hardly, and of course you can use the pistol many many times.
[/size]

Mar 1, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #8 of 13
So I found this video which explaining what I think I should be doing if I were to use heat shrink. I think though that it'd be nigh impossible to use this method in my case because it's right up at the actual earphone.

As far as soldering goes, I couldn't really find anything on YouTube that showed kinda what I'm wanting to do.

Mar 3, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #11 of 13
First of all: Sorry for the crappy iphone pics.

I'm really sorry but I can't post decent pics directly here, so I'll link my flickr profile where you can see the images.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sebastianbf/

They're ordered by number.

Please feel free to ask me any questions regarding the pics.

Mar 5, 2011 at 7:43 AM Post #12 of 13
Hi Sebastianbf

I am very interested in how you repaired your e4cs, and hopefully you can share your methods. I have lots of experience opening housing cleanly, and re-soldering dynamic drivers to a new cable and closing up the housing with clear superglue.

But I was always afraid of opening up BA drivers (especially multiple BA driver IEMs) believing I would break it.

I took a look at your pictures on opening the IEMs and I couldn't really make out what was needed to be done.

Do you have any tips, or basic instructions on where to re-solder a new cable to the drivers?

Thanks
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #13 of 13
Thanks, I took a look at them and there were a couple of things I was wondering
1) I'm having trouble opening them, probably because it's the first time. Did you use a knife or something? And how much pressure did you put on, because being my first time I'm rather worried.
2) I'm assuming that once I have the top bit open it'll be pretty evident where I need to solder the wires to, is that correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back