Repairing my Grado SR-125
Jan 31, 2008 at 3:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

oshox

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of Grado SR-125's that I purchased in 2000. They still sound great, but the wires going into the earphones have become loose. Sometimes, it will cause one or both channels to become muted. A good bit of jiggling will correct the problem, but I am trying to sell them so I can fund the purchase of an amp for my DT-880's.

It looks like the main problem is that the glue that holds the earphone wires in place has come off, and the wires slide freely in and out of the holes in the bottoms of the earphones. I'm not sure if there is any damage to the contacts where the wires meet the drivers, but I believe a drop from a hot glue gun to secure the wires would be a great first step.

The only problem is that I cannot get the earphones open. I've tried the spoon method in the Grado recabling guide, but to no avail. I don't want to pry them, since the plastic is kind of soft and I'm sure it'll scar the begeezus out of them. Any of you recablers know any tips? The guide I've got says the glue on the 125's is different (stronger, more relentess) than that on the 60's and 80's, but it doesn't mention the 225's. I'd appreciate anyone with experience opening the 125's or 225's!

Thanks!

Jan 31, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #2 of 2
Try using a hairdryer to soften the hot glue. Lay the headphones on the floor. You may want to pry off the plastic C-shaped cup holders first. Blast the side of each cup with a hairdryer for a minute or so; apply the heat evenly along the entire circumference of the cups. DO NOT blast heat into the grills on either side! After heating, quickly pry the halves of the cups apart. Use your bare hands to avoid putting tool marks on the cups. Upon reassembly, I reuse the hot glue that remains. Just soften it with heat (should turn from opaque to clear) and quickly reassemble the halves of the cups.

I can't imagine that the various Grado models use different glues in their construction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back