Repairing Ety ER-4P Possible?
Jan 7, 2009 at 7:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

mhcarlos

100+ Head-Fier
I found my old Ety ER-4P at home. It broke some time in 2007. The broken part is the lack plastic tip that you stick into the foam or silicone tips. Is it possible to repair the Ety's?

I replaced it with UE's but was thinking of getting a pair of ER4Ps again, but would might as well try to repair my old ones if that's possible.

Thanks in advance!

-m

Jan 7, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #2 of 24
Call or email etymotic, it has happened to a few others here and they all said etymotic took care of it. And they don't really seem to care about warranty periods too much, especially on their flagship product.

Jan 7, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Call or email etymotic, it has happened to a few others here and they all said etymotic took care of it. And they don't really seem to care about warranty periods too much, especially on their flagship product.

Indeed, Ety service is awesome.

Jan 7, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #5 of 24
just send them to Etymotic. Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago and they repaired and returned in abut six days

Jan 8, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #6 of 24
I tried emailing them but received no replies. Will try to call tomorrow. Thanks guys.

Jan 8, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #7 of 24
I had an old pair (with red/blue connectors) that had the same problem and was out of warranty for >1 year.

I emailed Etymotic about repair costs, and they just issued me a RMA number and told me to send the broken pair in.

Around week later a new pair of ER-4Ps arrived with the newer black cables, although sometimes I still miss the old red/blue styling heh.

Cost of replacement = Postage for sending broken pair back
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #8 of 24
I just called Etymotic and the person I talked to told me it's possible that they'll repair it for free or otherwise it's $85. I hope they just repair it for free.
smily_headphones1.gif
Anyway, I was also given an RMA number and I'll ship it tomorrow (fingers crossed).

I really miss the Ety sound. I replaced it with a different in-ear phone and didn't think of just having the Etys repaired till now.

Jan 8, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #9 of 24
The best way to contact them for any repair is to call their toll-free number during their regular business hours. There's always a person to talk to at the other end and he/she is always pleasant.

Jan 8, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best way to contact them for any repair is to call their toll-free number during their regular business hours. There's always a person to talk to at the other end and he/she is always pleasant.

Yup. The woman at the end of the line was quite pleasant and helpful...

Jan 10, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #11 of 24
Does anyone know if there's any possible way of checking the RMA status other than calling them up and asking? I'd rather not hassle but according to the delivery confirmation they received my broken ones on December 29th and as of the 10th, nothing back yet. I'm sure that the holidays delayed them a little, but I'm starting to get a little impatient.
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhoff80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know if there's any possible way of checking the RMA status other than calling them up and asking? I'd rather not hassle but according to the delivery confirmation they received my broken ones on December 29th and as of the 10th, nothing back yet. I'm sure that the holidays delayed them a little, but I'm starting to get a little impatient.
biggrin.gif

I have the same question. I sent in my phones last week and they should have received it by now. Am I supposed to get an email or will they just contact me if there's some cost for the repair?

Can't wait to get use the etys again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mhcarlos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the same question. I sent in my phones last week and they should have received it by now. Am I supposed to get an email or will they just contact me if there's some cost for the repair?

Can't wait to get use the etys again.
smily_headphones1.gif

I believe they will contact you by phone after their techs have analyzed the damage, what has to be done to repair it and the cost to repair it. Usually it is the customer service rep who gave you the RMA# who would call you back. That's what they did to me. It may take a week or two before they call you back, it depends on how busy their techs are.

Jan 16, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #14 of 24
I think maybe they got a little backed up because of the holidays maybe, I received my fixed ER4P today, a little over two weeks after they received the broken ones.

I did request a sample of the new glider tips though along with it, which I never received, but I'm just happy to have them back and working again.

I actually emailed just wondering what was going on and two days later they emailed me telling me what repairs they'd made and gave me a UPS tracking number.

Jan 21, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #15 of 24
Thanks guys.

I just had an email and I gave them a call. I'll be spending $56 but apart from the broken plastic piece that houses the filter, they're replacing both (they checked and the other piece was cracked as well), the cable, speakers and cable -- which is pretty much like receiving a brand new headphone set, as the guy I talked to (Rick) said.

Can't wait to get them back. Gotta get busy and distracted...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back