Removing the Sennheiser veil - literally
Mar 25, 2005 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

backdrifter

100+ Head-Fier
edit

Mar 25, 2005 at 11:33 PM Post #3 of 62
Yeah, I tried it. I liked it okay, but felt it made the highs a bit overpowering or maybe even sibilant if that's the right term.
I think the perfect sound would be somewhere in between.

Mar 25, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #4 of 62
edit

Mar 25, 2005 at 11:46 PM Post #5 of 62
Quote:

Any reason why this would be bad?

The drivers are exposed to dirt and hair but you could use some sort of a sound-permissable material instead of the foam pads. Personally I don't like the "nude" HD 650 because it actually sounds less natural to me, slightly more sibilant. I'm not sure if the added highs are simply reflected sounds which only give the impression of clearer highs and better resolution.
But hey, if it sounds good to you, why not.

Mar 26, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #6 of 62
For "in between" options, someone might want to try a quarter-hole a la Grado SR60 foamies on that Seem foam pad. Actually not the size of a quarter but possibly smaller. (I won't be doing that though, but just mention it in case someone might want to try it).

Mar 26, 2005 at 12:31 AM Post #7 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by backdrifter
Has anyone tried this mod? I removed the earpads on my HD-650s and took out the black oval piece of foam that is presumably there to keep dust and dirt out of the driver

What gives even better results is experimenting with different densities/thicknesses of foam. You can make a 580/600 sound like a 650!

Mar 26, 2005 at 12:38 AM Post #8 of 62
edit

Mar 26, 2005 at 1:08 AM Post #11 of 62
I liked the HD 600 quite a bit without the foam pads -- but then with a new source it sounded better with the foam back in place. I've also tried the mod on my HD 650, but in my setup it doesn't sound right this way -- less bass, more mids and lower treble...

Actually the foam has its acoustic function beside dust protection: It reduces the multiple reflections between driver and head/ear skin representing a smearing of transients. Additionally it acts as a (weak) barrier for negative-phase sound waves from the back of the driver and consequently makes the bass a bit fuller than without it. On the other hand the foam or other fabric with reduced sound permeability causes some mild mattness, also perceivable as veil if you want. It depends on the system it's integrated in which variant sounds best, although I think in most cases especially the HD 650 will sound best in stock configuration.

Quote:

Originally Posted by backdrifter
Any suggestions for different fabrics or foams? I am loving the sound, so I want as little change as possible. I'd rather not get dirt built up in there.

I used some ultra-fine and -thin nylon gauze with the HD 600, and it made a negligible difference to the naked mode. You could also use some pantyhose fabric. I tried other fabrics to get something in between the two sonic extremes, but never found a satisfying alternative to naked/nylon gauze or original foam pads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle
What gives even better results is experimenting with different densities/thicknesses of foam. You can make a 580/600 sound like a 650!

Now way, the HD 600 will never sound like an HD 650; it doesn't have its smoothness and resolution. It has other qualities though.

peacesign.gif

Mar 26, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #12 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
I bought a yard of thin nylon fabric a while back. In my opinion, this mod helps a little, but does not remove the veil.

What veil?
confused.gif

peacesign.gif

Mar 26, 2005 at 1:25 AM Post #14 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
I bought a yard of thin nylon fabric a while back. In my opinion, this mod helps a little, but does not remove the veil.

You cannot remove a veil because it has already been removed for you at no expence.

Mar 26, 2005 at 1:44 AM Post #15 of 62
edit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back