Removing Grado RS1 Driver holders
Aug 30, 2013 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

treyking11

100+ Head-Fier
hello all. i am going to recable my grado RS1's with a damaged cable and have hit a snag right form the start. how do you remove the driver holders from the cups? i am referring to the big metal ring that goes around the cups, which doesn't release like the plastic versions of the other models. they are horse shoe shaped, the rs1 is completely circular. not willing to force anything, i figured someone here would know. thanks!

Aug 31, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #3 of 7
It seems that the pins that hold the gimbal onto the cup might be threaded.  I can't confirm for sure, but that's what I've read in the past.  If this is the case, then you might need to somehow safely remove the pin, that could be threaded.  My RS1i Grados arrive on Tuesday.  At that point, I'll be able to post a more defined answer to this question when I perform the same task.

Also, if many don't respond to your post, it probably is because it's a long, holiday weekend for most people.  There are not a lot of members on the forum this weekend.

Finally, do consider a bit of searching.  I took a few minutes to search the Web on how the RS1 gimbals were connected and found out that it appears to be a threaded connector.  Several answers brought me back to posts hear on Head-Fi.  I then took a few moments to read through those threads to find an answer that would get me closer to resolving my question.

Aug 31, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 7
thanks! i did a bit of digging on the net but couldnt find much. perhaps i wasnt using the best keywords... let me know what you find when you get your rs1's. the pins are smooth and gripping them with anything would most likely leave a mark. thanks again, look forward to hearing back!

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #5 of 7
I was just giving this some thought.  Why do you believe you would have to remove the gimbals from the RS1 cups in order to install a new cable?  I'm not aware that the gimbals are in the way for a cable installation.  Sure, things will be a bit tight, but I think the process could still be done with the gimbals in place.  If you do proceed, just ensure you keep the headphones placed on a nice, soft towel.  You want to protect the wooden cups from chips and nicks if placing them directly on a hard surface during the work.

Sep 1, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #6 of 7
that is a good point. i would feel better getting all the unnecessary parts out of the way during the process. they have to come off somehow, and it shouldnt be that difficult... thanks for your help!

Sep 3, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #7 of 7
issue resolved. they are threaded at the outer circle, not the cup. a t-shirt around a vice grip GENTLY turned one side out and the cup came free. be careful with this, padding padding padding, and get a firm grip. pliers might slide around... yay!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back