Removing AKG K140 Drivers?
Nov 27, 2010 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

thefragger

100+ Head-Fier
How do I do this? It seems that the drivers are wedged into the baffle pretty good and I really really don't want to mangle them as I plan to use them as a replacement drivers in my Sextetts.

(... I might've wrecked a driver during a recable... )

Thoughts?

Tips?

Step-by-step instructions with photos, or possibly a video narrated by Morgan Freeman?

Nov 28, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 12
The drivers look identical :)

Regarding clips, there's none from what I can see... it looks like there may be glue involved or some kind of interference fit between the drivers and holder. Might just have to cut the baffle away to free 'em!

Hmmm... am I making sense here? All I received were the baffles with the drivers in 'em and the seller told me they were from a set of AKG K140 headphones. I'll try to get a photo up tomorrow as I just spent the last 5h hugging solder fumes and it's 1am--bed time!

Dec 18, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #4 of 12
Phillip
You might like to try using a hairdryer, thats what people do to take the backs off grado,s.
Try sending a pm to fritz or boilermakerfan they seem to know about the k140,s
                                                                                                          paddy
happy_face1.gif

Dec 18, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
The drivers look identical :)

Regarding clips, there's none from what I can see... it looks like there may be glue involved or some kind of interference fit between the drivers and holder. Might just have to cut the baffle away to free 'em!

Hmmm... am I making sense here? All I received were the baffles with the drivers in 'em and the seller told me they were from a set of AKG K140 headphones. I'll try to get a photo up tomorrow as I just spent the last 5h hugging solder fumes and it's 1am--bed time!

They are brand new drivers from the k140, i sent them instead of the old ones as you will see there is no solder on the ok one.
It,s just a matter of getting the glue off as i did not want to attempt it as i am fairly new to this stuff.
When you get them out you should be able to use both of them as the broken solder lug will be ok in the sextett.
I would put the one with L on it in the right cup and the other one in the left as the one with L on it is a lower impedence than the other one, this is what i have done on my k140 and the impedence is matched on both cups due to the metal headband adding
around 25ohms .
As for the glue it looks like the same browny coloured glue they use for the nameplates on the side, so try the hairdryer method or fire fitz or boilermakerfan a pm.
                                                                                                                       paddy
regular_smile%20.gif

Dec 21, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #7 of 12

Glad you got them out in the end phill.
beerchug.gif

Will you be putting both in or just one, keep us posted and dont lose your cool like you did last time.
                                                                                                                paddy
atsmile.gif

Mar 9, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #8 of 12
Holy moley I haven't logged in on here in a while!

Alright, I fitted the new drivers in a while ago--the problem I found with the busted drivers is that there's zero mechanical connection between the tinsel leads and the solder tabs, so when you heat the tap up, the tinsel lead lets go and it's terribly hard to find again to reattach!

So, what's happened now is that one of the replacement drivers went 'open' as a result of this little tiny wire separating from the tab so I mixed drivers--one from my set and one from paddy's set, as a result there's a slight volume imbalance, but playing with the balance control gets things evened out--and they sound good!

I still need to do the hair-elastic mod, but with school being as busy as its been this year, my only headphone time has been with my CX300s, to and from school.

Mar 9, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #9 of 12
The voice coil lead broke? Is it long enough to reattach? Get a pair of tweezers, electrically conductive epoxy (MG Silver Conductive Epoxy works well), extra voice coil wire if needed and you should be able to repair the driver. Good luck.

Mar 9, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #10 of 12
No no, they didn't break, they're soldered onto the tab, so when you heat the tab up, the vc lead separates. I managed to fix one after I installed the mismatched set, but fear that more heat will un-fix it. Quite the conundrum!

Also, I did try grabbing it with tweezers on one driver--the tweezer presser was enough to cut that one short. They're thinner than hair. I'll try sourcing some conductive epoxy, good call!

Mar 9, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #11 of 12
Yea, exactly. The vc leads don't pass all that much current in the first place so a small glob of MG silver conductive epoxy is more than enough to make a joint w/o using any heat. Mix/apply with a tooth pick as you obviously only need extremely small quantities for this type of repair. The bond is actually quite strong, too, so you won't have to worry about fixing it over and over again. You could even use superglue to create a dielectric layer around the joint/increase joint strength. I was able to source vc wire from a busted old driver. Cut a short length and just make two joints if you have to. I don't think you'll notice any degradation of sq, but you might have to make one joint at a time and allow each to cure separately.

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #12 of 12
I know this is an old thread. There isn't much I can find as far as repairing/upgrading/customizing the K140s. I have a pair of these found at a garage sale and they are in serious need of repair cable wise. Other than that the parts are all there and fairly clean, with the exception of the knobs for L/R and such. The cable is actually in good condition, although someone decided to put these away and figure-eight them and tie them up with a nice tight rubber band. 

Are there any simple upgrades to the main lead and cabling posts out there that I have just missed? I have been searching for a few weeks now with no luck. Either the posts are old and incomplete, or the topic is not refurbishing/upgrading the k140s.

I really like the looks of these headphones, however, I feel the pads could be bigger for my big head/ears and the cabling needs attention. 

Thanks in advance.

E

Users who are viewing this thread

Back