remove foam from my akg 271s?
May 11, 2006 at 12:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ryanhayn

100+ Head-Fier
remove foam from the front of my 271 drivers...you know what i'm talking about. do it or not? if so, how? what should i replace it with if anything? any comments on the sound? give me all the details.

thank
you
very
much

etysmile.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
confused.gif
biggrin.gif
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif
orphsmile.gif

May 11, 2006 at 2:27 PM Post #2 of 3
I have not tried the K271, but found this a good fix for the percieved muddiness of my K240. It seemed to have cleaned up the congestion and murk while improving the balance and clarity. YMMV as this is of course all IMHO.

Simply remove the ear-pads (cushions) and the foam that sits there is now free to remove (the pads hold the foam in place). Replace the earpads and listen.
Best part (besides the coast . . . or lack of) is that this is completely reversible.

Should you find you prefer the sound without the pads, you may wish to replace it with some otther material to keep hair, dust & debris out of the drivers.
The usual material is to cut a pair of panty-hose or knee-highs, they are inexpensive, work well, and come in colors.

May 11, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #3 of 3
I have both k240s and k271s. The k240s - I replaced foam with thin Senn. foam (same openness as I used to use with my hopped-up motorcycle carbs.). Then the 271s - tried without foam, also with same Senn. foam as above, and ended up preferring the original foam of the k271s. BTW orig. is often held in position not only by earpads, but also with a dab of glue - simply peel off.
Let your own ears tell you what to do and don't rely on the ears of others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back