Removal of the headphone jack : the future or a marketing scheme?
Oct 24, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #17 of 134
Last edited:
Oct 24, 2017 at 3:04 AM Post #20 of 134
They assume the audio quality on their phone is fine, when it could be so much better.

Define "better". 1%? 2%? If its worth it to you, go for it. Most DACs these day are totally transparent, its not 1998 anymore. Well, for 99.999% of people, I'll leave the superhuman audiophile out of it, of course they can hear it.

Oct 24, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #21 of 134
Can't WAIT!! lol

Totally, An active Beyer? I'll take it if it doesn't cost ... lol ... 500+

I mean really, compare the frequency charts of a DT-880 and the new $599 DT-1990. If you call that "innovation" then I don't know what happened in the last 30 years. The 880 is smoother aka more EQable. Detachable cables and some marketing about ... tesla? ok then.

Oct 24, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #22 of 134
Define "better". 1%? 2%? If its worth it to you, go for it. Most DACs these day are totally transparent, its not 1998 anymore. Well, for 99.999% of people, I'll leave the superhuman audiophile out of it, of course they can hear it.

It's not just about the DAC though. The limitations of wireless connections are still apparent to much more than 99.999% of people, and that's not including those with Golden Ears.

Oct 24, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #23 of 134
It's not just about the DAC though. The limitations of wireless connections are still apparent to much more than 99.999% of people, and that's not including those with Golden Ears.

Agreed. BT audio is not very good. Still good enough for its application, ie small bt speakers, easy background listening, phone comm, all that. The APT-X is pretty transparent though, really. Audio over IP is the way to go though.
Maybe I didn't read enough, I do mean DAC -> (amp) -> wire -> driver.

Oct 24, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #24 of 134
Agreed. BT audio is not very good. Still good enough for its application, ie small bt speakers, easy background listening, phone comm, all that. The APT-X is pretty transparent though, really. Audio over IP is the way to go though.
Maybe I didn't read enough, I do mean DAC -> (amp) -> wire -> driver.

If you’re using Apple Music or iTunes anyway any Bluetooth headphones that support the AAC Bluetooth codec will sound as good as they do wired with those files.

Oct 24, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #25 of 134
If you’re using Apple Music or iTunes anyway any Bluetooth headphones that support the AAC Bluetooth codec will sound as good as they do wired with those files.

I dunno if I agree. I downsample ALL my CD-Quality & Hi-Res purchases to 512 kbps AAC because I can't tell the difference vs. lossless FLAC/ALAC files. Nether can anyone statistically-speaking. Having said that, I tried comparing a wired connection using a FLAC Hi-Res file to a Wi-Fi connection (yes Wi-Fi, not BT lol), which has has like 11 times the bandwidth of regular BT, and I did notice a slight difference still. So I'm very hesitant to believe that it sounds as good as wired.

Oct 24, 2017 at 4:50 AM Post #26 of 134
I dunno if I agree. I downsample ALL my CD-Quality & Hi-Res purchases to 512 kbps AAC because I can't tell the difference vs. lossless FLAC/ALAC files. Nether can anyone statistically-speaking. Having said that, I tried comparing a wired connection using a FLAC Hi-Res file to a Wi-Fi connection (yes Wi-Fi, not BT lol), which has has like 11 times the bandwidth of regular BT, and I did notice a slight difference still. So I'm very hesitant to believe that it sounds as good as wired.

Did you run it in native "resolution" or did you upsample to something?

Oct 24, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #27 of 134

AAC via Bluetooth is transmitted at 264kbps on an iPhone, which may be why you're able to hear the difference since you're using 512kbps files.

Oct 24, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #28 of 134

Which headphones have both a Wifi and wire connection?

Oct 24, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #29 of 134
AAC via Bluetooth is transmitted at 264kbps on an iPhone, which may be why you're able to hear the difference since you're using 512kbps files.

I guess that's possible too. For the near future, I have no plans to go wireless though. I would have to read like SEVERAL reputable reviews before I'd even consider giving it another chance again.

Oct 24, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #30 of 134
Which headphones have both a Wifi and wire connection?

It wasn't the headphones, it was the amp/DAC device I had used which offered a Wi-Fi connection. That device was the Celsus Sound Companion One, which 2 years ago was like $595, but now is much cheaper (if you can find it; I ended up returning mine for the $299 Oppo HA-2). My setup was I used a wired connection in b/t the headphones and the CO, and then used Wi-Fi to connect the CO to my phone. On the Hi-Res version of the Led Zeppelin track entitled "Tea For One", I noticed that during the intro, on the wired connection, I could hear a distinct low Earth-shattering "rumble" on the bass drum during the first 20 seconds of the song that the drummer repeatedly plays, but on the Wi-Fi connection, I could NOT hear that rumble. And again, Wi-Fi has like 11 times more bandwidth than regular BT, so that was it for me. Wired it is for as long as it takes! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back