Removable media cards and MP3 players why not?
Aug 20, 2004 at 10:39 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morphling
there are plenty of card only players out there just look around. ever heard of google?

No, is that a brand or a model?

Maybe you could be helpful next time.

Aug 20, 2004 at 10:42 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edvard_Grieg
ummm....I don't know that those statements were supposed to 'follow', but the Rio players are not really 'cheap' in the way I think you mean it. If you look at cnet, the Cali gets consistently good reviews (FM tuner, sd expansion etc) The forge is a nice update to it.

Tired posting doesn't work well.

Rio is a brand I would consider. I had bad luck with a Rio a long time ago, but I think they have gotten better.

By cheap players, I meant those no name brands that come and go.

Aug 20, 2004 at 11:16 PM Post #18 of 30
Rio has a flash player coming out that has 512MB built in and can take a 1GB SD card. That would give you 1.5GB in a player with no movable parts what so ever.

I know I lot of people pooh-pah flash players but I think that they have their place.

Aug 20, 2004 at 11:54 PM Post #19 of 30
panasonic makes one that uses sd cards, dont know what the model is though.
confused.gif

Aug 21, 2004 at 1:15 AM Post #20 of 30
PD, Rio has changed a lot since you probably had problems. Originally they were part of Diamond Multimedia which was 'so-so'. Then they were bought and became Sonic Blue (most problems I believe). Currently they are part of DNNA (Digital Networks North America) which handles replaytv, escient etc. DNNA is part of D&M holdings which is Denon and Marantz....they aren't going anywhere for awhile.

Aug 22, 2004 at 8:23 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edvard_Grieg
PD, Rio has changed a lot since you probably had problems. Originally they were part of Diamond Multimedia which was 'so-so'. Then they were bought and became Sonic Blue (most problems I believe). Currently they are part of DNNA (Digital Networks North America) which handles replaytv, escient etc. DNNA is part of D&M holdings which is Denon and Marantz....they aren't going anywhere for awhile.

Yeah, I have a Sonic Blue Rio CD/MP3 player that is crap. I still use it though. It lives in the garage and his connected to the crap Sony 5 disc 2 cassette shelf system that only works on the radio and line in now. The Rio only works when connected to AC power. They make a perfect couple.
tongue.gif

Sep 5, 2004 at 4:55 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoml88
Whats wrong with just getting a minidisc player? You can find one for around $100 and they store around 5 hours of music on each one and the minidiscs are pretty cheap.

Does MD support MP3 or other popular formats? Or does the MD format have popular support on computer?

Sep 5, 2004 at 5:14 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
I'm pretty sure there are mp3 players that use cards. I could've sworn they've been around for awhile. I think they're not popular because cards are/were expensive. And these days, why carry around cards when you can just have a big ol' chunk of memory.

Built in storage is not upgradable, disk or flash. CompactFlash is pretty cheap now, 256MB for $25. If the player uses removeable CompactFlash, you can add a larger card in the future for less money.

I have seen very few that uses removeable CompactFlash, without built in storage.

Sep 8, 2004 at 6:53 AM Post #24 of 30
Check out: http://www.shanebrinkmandavis.com/ho...ain/PVPSurvey/

Several "brand name" flash based players that play video as well as mp3s have already been released (Panasonic, Sharp) with many more to follow. There's bound to be quality mp3 only CompactFlash players out there, but I'll take my Archos AV480 over one of thoses anyday (it accepts CompactFlash as well as having an 80GB HD)!

Sep 8, 2004 at 11:42 PM Post #25 of 30
Sep 9, 2004 at 1:44 AM Post #26 of 30
My Rio Chiba comes with 256 MB internal to which I've added a 512 MB SD card - totaling 768 MB. 100% skip-free, can take anywhere and load up seven to eight of my albums (I rip my mp3s only to 320kBps). Whether it's work or working out, I'm good to go.

Sep 10, 2004 at 9:25 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Whats wrong with just getting a minidisc player? You can find one for around $100 and they store around 5 hours of music on each one and the minidiscs are pretty cheap.

exactly

Sep 10, 2004 at 9:26 PM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

exactly, or get Hi-MD

Sep 11, 2004 at 6:56 AM Post #29 of 30
Umm. OK. Nothing wrong with getting a minidisk player I guess. Had one myself for a while, just didn't care for the 'disk' part of it. Once I discovered
blink.gif
that with compression you can fit virtually all your music onto the player itself (if you're willing/able to purchase one with enough capacity for your audio quality needs), I pretty much tossed the minidisk concept under the bus. Especially with that wierd check in / check out interface.

Sep 11, 2004 at 1:00 PM Post #30 of 30
The nex Ia is one seriously nice piece of kit. Compactflash is cheap as chips, it has a nice big screen, takes AA batteries and has a nice powerful output 30mw. Only real downside is it's quite large for a flash player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back