Removable media cards and MP3 players why not?
Aug 19, 2004 at 1:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Mr.PD

Lives to Take It Outside.
Hey, I've been watching the MP3 player market for a while. I have seen multi gig hard drive players, 1 gig flash players, and some other stuff. What I haven't seen though is one that would take a compact flash card, or secure digital card. Why not?
I don't really want to wade through 20 or even 4 gigs of music while I'm listening. I want to load up 1gig or less and slip it in and go with it. Kind of like I do with my CD MP3 player, only smaller with better battery life.

Why can't somebody make a player that would read the music from a removable card? Compact flash cards are getting cheap. Why have a player that can only carry 512mb, when you can have cards?

It seem easy to me to just drop my music files on to a couple cards and be set for two days on the road, with a player like those ones that run on a single AA battery.

What am I missing here? Is there a reason why this isn't a good idea? Am I way off with this idea?

Aug 19, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #3 of 30
I'm pretty sure there are mp3 players that use cards. I could've sworn they've been around for awhile. I think they're not popular because cards are/were expensive. And these days, why carry around cards when you can just have a big ol' chunk of memory. In regards to SQ and usability, I have no idea.

Aug 19, 2004 at 1:55 AM Post #4 of 30
there are plenty of card only players out there just look around. ever heard of google?

Aug 19, 2004 at 4:31 PM Post #8 of 30
that's a seriosly nice display for a flash player:

30556949-2-300-front-2.gif

Aug 19, 2004 at 5:05 PM Post #9 of 30
I was given an MPIO (Digitalway)128MB flash mp3 player that also had a secure digital slot that allowed me to expand the player’s capacity. I really didn’t like it and did not read any good reviews about MPIO so I returned it for store credit. I think the Archos Gmini player also had a multimedia card slot but I’m not sure if it’s for storing music or other uses such as copying digital photos.

icon10.gif

Aug 19, 2004 at 6:18 PM Post #10 of 30
I have an MD and rather than flash cards, you could have discs and just bring discs with you. With HI-MD, 1GB per disc.

However if you want to stick with flash, you could get a Rio Cali, Chiba or the new Forge. If you bought the 512MB Forge and added a 1GB SD card, that's 1.5GB of flash you're carrying around.

Of course you could buy a bunch of 256MB cards which are pretty cheap and exchange them.

Boy are good options.

Aug 20, 2004 at 5:12 AM Post #11 of 30
Anyone remember the I-Jam?

It uses MMC (and I presume SD) cards exclusively.

It was nice at the time, but boy is it dated now
eek.gif

Aug 20, 2004 at 6:50 AM Post #12 of 30
I would think the lack of a solid market price point would hold this down.

Let us imagine there is a flash card player for relatively cheap like $100. Then add on top of that the cost a 1gb flash card (say another $100). That's the same price point as the 1.5/4gb players. If we go cheaper you can get a good cd/mp3 or md player and if you go higher, you're into the realm of the HDD's.

I don't expect this type of product will fly until either flash memory goes down in cost or flash players gain popularity/need.

Aug 20, 2004 at 6:57 AM Post #13 of 30
I kinda wondered if it wasn't the price of cards that kept these things out of the market.

I didn't know that Rio had some models that would accept cards.

I try to avoid those el cheapo brands.

How big are MD players? I have never seen one in person. Also, can I record to a mini disc from my computer?

Aug 20, 2004 at 7:07 AM Post #14 of 30
ummm....I don't know that those statements were supposed to 'follow', but the Rio players are not really 'cheap' in the way I think you mean it. If you look at cnet, the Cali gets consistently good reviews (FM tuner, sd expansion etc) The forge is a nice update to it.

Aug 20, 2004 at 5:48 PM Post #15 of 30

Users who are viewing this thread

Back