remote control?
Jan 18, 2002 at 9:46 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by danny
dnighted,

The loop through option for the Headroom Home, MOH, and MAX amplifiers is a simple copper connection inside the unit between the two RCA connectors. It should not degrade your signal at all to the amp.

This is different from the Line out on these amps, which is buffered....

Hope this helps

It does, thanks. I assume the loop through option
just puts the output in parellel to the headphone
amp section?
I guess that would be easy to do with any head amp, drill a couple of holes, pop in some RCA jacks, solder some copper wire between them. Done.

Or maybe some RCA "Y" cables

I'm still not sure this will have no effect on sound quality. After all, I would effectively be putting two parallel loads on the preamp. Wouldn't
adding an additional load effect the sound?

Jan 18, 2002 at 9:59 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly

Mark

Do you know the mechanics for why they claim to have a remote control that doesn't compromise sound quality?

Kelly

I'm not sure I understand why a motor operated pot (controlled by IR) should be any worse for sound quality than a manually turned pot.OK maybe while
it is being chaged there is a difference, but once the motor stops, what is the source of degredation?

The Melos thing looks interesting
"There are no mechanical
connections, no switch contacts - it's a variable resistor with no moving
parts! The Pho-Tentiometer does away with diode effects and all the
other Nasties inherent in switch contact schemes"

I wonder if it even includes a manual volume knob.

I tell ya, the Melos Maestro Reference Line Preamplifier $2295.00 described at
http://www.audiooutlet.com/catalog/15.html sure sounds (or should I say reads) like it is very nice. seems like it'd be very good for both preamp and head amp - course the proof is in the listening. Doesn't matter, more than I want to spend right now anyway...

Jan 18, 2002 at 10:09 PM Post #18 of 21
That page is misleading and poorly worded. What it's attempting to say is that a GOOD volume pot is motorized-- that is the volume is raised remotely the same way it's done manually, by physically moving the knob. That method is better than a standard remote.

It then goes on to say that Melos has gone one step further by implementing the patented "photentiometer" technology that uses a single resistor, blah blah. So you get the benefits of a motorized pot AND the photentiometer with the Melos.

markl

Jan 18, 2002 at 10:15 PM Post #19 of 21
You can't buy it new anyway. That page is old. Melos is kaput. Look on the used market. That's where I got my SHA-Gold. If you pursue this, you must be aware of reliability issues.

The only thing that compensates for the riskiness of the Melos Gold is the amazing quality of the sound it produces.

markl

Jan 18, 2002 at 10:16 PM Post #20 of 21
Dknighted,

Yes, you will have two inputs in parallel. The input impedance for the HeadRoom amps is high enough that it should not load the output of a good pre-amp and affect the sound quality. (I know there are people who will disagree
wink.gif
)

Jan 19, 2002 at 2:13 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by danny
Dknighted,

Yes, you will have two inputs in parallel. The input impedance for the HeadRoom amps is high enough that it should not load the output of a good pre-amp and affect the sound quality. (I know there are people who will disagree
wink.gif
)

Danny, Thanks for the input. Can you tell me what the
input impedance of the HeadRoom Home is?
I couldn't find it on the web site.
Actually, since this would be my first headphone amp I was thinking maybe the Little More Power would be a good starting point, if I go with the Headroom line. Is there room in that box to add
loopthough jacks? I assume the input impedance is the same as the home.

(in case your interested, other leading contenders are corda Ha-1, Creek 11se, and ASL MG head TA these are all a little cheaper than the LittleMore Power and I'm kinda curious to try out tubes again and headphones seem like a good place to start
smily_headphones1.gif

But I don't think any of those have loopthough jacks either...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back