remote control?
Jan 8, 2002 at 1:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

dknightd

500+ Head-Fier
Anybody make a heaadphone amp with a remote control volume pot? Maybe even a remote control effects switch? I don't want to have to get up to change volume
rolleyes.gif

Preferably one that doesn't cost and arm and leg...

Thanks
David

Jan 8, 2002 at 10:15 PM Post #4 of 21
I'd wholeheartedly recommend one of the Creek products. The OBH-10 will do just fine, but for a little extra money, you can get the OBH-12 which is a passive remote pre-amp, not just a volume control. Even if you don't need the switching capabilities now, you might in the future. The OBH-12 makes a great little minimalist pre-amp. I've had mine for a couple of years now and love it. It adds no perceivable noise or colorations to the signal path.
-Keith

Jan 8, 2002 at 10:50 PM Post #5 of 21
Maybe buy a $10 R/C car, take off the left wheel and put the right wheel on the volume pot, secure the car with duct tape. Forward for volume up, backward for volume down!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2002 at 11:36 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by discoman
Maybe buy a $10 R/C car, take off the left wheel and put the right wheel on the volume pot, secure the car with duct tape. Forward for volume up, backward for volume down!
smily_headphones1.gif

Lol, discoman!
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2002 at 9:55 PM Post #7 of 21
Sonic Frontier Line 1, 2 and 3. It has a dedicated headphone output that is based on Headroom circuitry. It has remote control function as well.

Headroom circuitry with tubes. Huh? Sounds interesting !

Jan 18, 2002 at 7:27 PM Post #8 of 21
I understand most people use a headphone
amp on a tape loop, or drectly connected
to a source.

But how about if a used a headphone amp with
a passthough loop between the input
and output (Like the creekIIse or headroom
for example) and put in between my preamp
and amp? Then I could use the remote control
on my preamp.

Would this hurt the sound when using the
amp to drive speakers? I'm nervous about
putting something else in the signal path !

btw, I thought about that RC car/airplane
idea. I happen to have a bunch of that
stuff in my basement, and am sure I could
rig something up, but it would be ugly, and
the control units are kinda bulky
frown.gif

Jan 18, 2002 at 7:46 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by dknightd
Anybody make a heaadphone amp with a remote control volume pot? Maybe even a remote control effects switch? I don't want to have to get up to change volume
rolleyes.gif

Preferably one that doesn't cost and arm and leg...

Thanks
David

We made a New Headphone/Line amplifiers with Remote Volumn.

It is Twin-Head - It is a Dual Mono Headphone amplifiers with 4 Input , 2 Output for Line output and 2 Output for Headphone Out.

HOw it work ? -

Regulator section - 1 Power transformer , 6X4 (Rectifier tube) x 1 , 6BM8 x 1 (Regulator power supply) per 1 channel.

Line Section - First output get from 6DJ8 in SRPP and couping to first Line out.
Second output - 6DJ8 in SRPP , direct coupling to 2A3 ! Yes ! It is 2A3 ! A SET direct heat tube in a Headphone amps. It loading by a transformers and coupling to seconday. It is Zero feed Back.

Headphone section - Just simulair design idea as MG-Head OTL.

6DJ8 in SRPP direct coupling to 2A3 and coupling to Headphone by output transformer.

OTL mode - output become a Choke and coupling to secondary by a Capacitor.

How much you willing to pay on it
smily_headphones1.gif

We have a Prototype show in CES2002 (T.H.E) and our North American Distributor will test it soon ! It will start production when it pass the final test.

Jan 18, 2002 at 7:57 PM Post #10 of 21
dnighted,

The loop through option for the Headroom Home, MOH, and MAX amplifiers is a simple copper connection inside the unit between the two RCA connectors. It should not degrade your signal at all to the amp.

This is different from the Line out on these amps, which is buffered....

Hope this helps

Jan 18, 2002 at 8:32 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by dknightd
But how about if a used a headphone amp with a passthough loop between the input and output and put in between my preamp and amp? Then I could use the remote control on my preamp.

There's nothing wrong with that. That's fine. You may want to play with the gain, though. The higher you can turn your preamp up, the higher the initial signal going into your headphone amp. So maybe put some inline attenuators after the headphone amp, before the power amp.

Jan 18, 2002 at 9:15 PM Post #13 of 21
Melos SHA-Gold and Maestro's have a remote with their patented volume pot which they claim is the best in the world. Their literature says that all other remote volume controls compromise sound quality, but of course they have an ax to grind.

markl

Jan 18, 2002 at 9:36 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Melos SHA-Gold and Maestro's have a remote with their patented volume pot which they claim is the best in the world. Their literature says that all other remote volume controls compromise sound quality, but of course they have an ax to grind.

markl

Mark

Do you know the mechanics for why they claim to have a remote control that doesn't compromise sound quality?

Kelly

Jan 18, 2002 at 9:43 PM Post #15 of 21
Sorry, it's an entire page that I'm way too lazy to type. They really make a big deal out of it. Later Maestro models apparently no longer used the photentiometer, though they still have a remote.

Check this page though for some explanation:
http://www.audiooutlet.com/catalog/15.html

markl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back